Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM

610 posts, read 3,314,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaiblu54 View Post
Hi,
I was born and Raised In Mass. Then moved to NH, Then lived in Fla, Then wound up in E.TN. ugggggggggggggggggggggggggg
I wanted to go back to New England, but prices and taxes are just out of reach....
So, We plan on moving to Cheyenne, Got info from the chamber of commerce,
I LOVE SNOW.....And living in NH taught me what it is like at 35 below zero.
We are starting to pack up our house and hope to be there By Sept.
Any info would be appreciated. Are people nice there??
I do not like living in the Bible Belt, and the IQ of people here in E.Tn
Is quite low.....
Cant wait to move
Skai, Wyoming is like no other place on Earth. For better or worse.
Cheyenne doesn't get -35 for long periods like a few other parts of Wyoming - not usually, anyway. A blinding blizzard - usually in late winter but could happen at anytime.
Cheyenne is also not alpine - it is part high-prairie and part high-desert and will look a lot like desert to you, coming from E. Tennessee.
Good news - you'll be only 100 miles from Denver ... which is one of the only places around that will remind you of the East.
It is not Bible Belt - and is also not Bible-Belt II ... but it has it's own influences. Religious or political influences are not something you can ever get away from in America - but some are easier to take than others, depending on who you are and what you're about.
Wyoming folks are generally friendly ... but armed. They don't take a lot of ... ... bullhockey from folks. You will find at least one of everybody you've ever known and will like some and won't like some.
Wyoming is generally conservative - but not completely. Wyoming is generally "Country" - but not completely. The Rocky Mountains is made up of folks who learn to feel like family - so, if you come out toward Wyoming, plug in and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,049,563 times
Quote:
Are people nice there??
I do not like living in the Bible Belt, and the IQ of people here in E.Tn
Is quite low.....
Cant wait to move
In response to your question... Yes people are very nice here, as long as you do not try to come out here and change the way of life. I would be very careful with your narrow-minded opinion of southerners, I have met quite a few decent "Bible belters" that love it here in Wyoming. Including my husband!

He is from Louisiana and has family in Arkansas which is right next to Tenn., apparently they have a high drop out rate in Louisiana, but ya know what he is an exception as are many people there. Not everyone chooses where they live or grow up, and there are a lot of bright people that grow up in the south. I am very proud to say my husband is a very talented and smart Tradesman, that graduated from Votech school and apprenticeships.

His academics and excellent resume landed him a pretty decent HVAC/R job here.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you learn and come to realize that Wyoming has many natives and transplants here that would give you the shirt off their backs and call you friend. But with a narrow minded attitude like you currently have about Southerners you are liable to not fit it, because all the people I have met so far here in Wyoming are decent people and also some very nice ranchers to that welcome people with open arms as long as they are laid back and friendly as well.

I will give you an example, my husband and I befriended a rancher lady that works at the library, she knew that we had no family here and invited us to her house for Thanksgiving! She didn't think twice or ever treat my husband differently because of his accent or southern background. Here almost everyone is your friend, there are a few exceptions as there are everywhere.

All I can say is I certainly hope the kindness of people here rubs off on you and changes your steriotypical thinking.

What is funny, is that people in Wyoming have often been labeled of being boring ranching people and don't know how to live life and have fun and have low IQs compared to the "Bigger cities" of this country. When that is so far from the truth! There are many people from several different backgrounds here that live simple normal everyday lives and very educated. And just think you could be labeled as a boring ranching type that has no brains because you move here to a rural state, thanks to some narrow-minded people as yourself in some of the bigger cities of this country... Just some food for thought before you move here.

At the same time I find your comments offensive I wish you the best here and hope it works out well for you and your family.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,956 times
Default I am not Narrow minded

I beg to differ with you....I have been told I am VERY friendly and Very Accepting of others religions....
I came from New England......So not use to having a church on every corner, and where I am living, IF YOU ARE NOT BAPTIST you will Go to Hell.
So, THANK you For your WARM welcome...
I hope we do not meet.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks so much for the info......Sounds like you are a loyal Wyoming person.
I love the country life.....I may speak Funny with my a's and r's Bu I love Country music and country people.
You are very kind.....

Old 12-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Default You are not getting my point at all...

Quote:
I beg to differ with you....I have been told I am VERY friendly and Very Accepting of others religions....
I came from New England......So not use to having a church on every corner, and where I am living, IF YOU ARE NOT BAPTIST you will Go to Hell.
So, THANK you For your WARM welcome...
I hope we do not meet.
You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

Let me get one thing straight here though... Did you or did you not call people in Tenn. lower IQ in other words stupid, which is a steriotype often given to Southerners????

Second question labeling a group of people rather than on a individual basis is not narrow minded????

If you respect EVERYONE's religious background and the baptists down there honestly and sincerely believe those who are not Christians will go to hell and you know that many of them live there. Why would you call them names and make fun of them calling them "Bible Belters"???? You are the one that chose to live there and why on earth would you live there if you can't stand their beliefs? But at the same time you are trying to tell me you respect everyone's beliefs? I am a bit confused here? You are contradicting yourself...

Let's say you come here to Wyoming and don't like our dirt roads, slow pace of life, conservative attitudes (many of us are) there are liberal thinkers here too, heck our governor is a democrat, but look at our representatives? What label will you give us???? Will you call people from Wyoming Lower IQ conservatives and move out just like you did Tenn???

How on earth do you expect to be treated with respect when you label groups of people? I can tell you also there are a lot of locals and transplants that have assimilated into the culture here and do not like it when outsiders come here and try to change things, like roads, politics, way of life in general. I would like to see you label the people here and change their way of life and see how warm of a welcome you would get with that attitude. That is all I am saying...

Many of the locals and transplants here look out for their fellow man despite their backgrounds... Like I said people would give you the shirt off your back.

I too hope we don't bump into each other, because you would be pleasantly surprised that Yes my hubby is from the South, Yes he loves it here in Wyoming, has met several different people that have much in common with him, and No his IQ is not low and he is not dumb just because he came from the South.

Just some more food for thought...

Old 12-10-2007, 04:22 PM

I forgot to also say... New England's culture is very different from Wyoming's. Many people from Cali, Florida, or back East try to move here to have a slower pace of life, yet cannot let go of their way of life from "back home" wherever they came from.

I have had many people tell me and others, you can come to Wyoming with a warm welcome as long as you move here and assimilate not try to change everyone and everything about Wyoming. I encourage you to do a search through this forum and you will find may posts that back this up.
I have been a member for about a year now and I read those very posts before my husband and I moved here and we gladly accepted the way of life here.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM

45 posts, read 198,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
I forgot to also say... New England's culture is very different from Wyoming's. Many people from Cali, Florida, or back East try to move here to have a slower pace of life, yet cannot let go of their way of life from "back home" wherever they came from.

I have had many people tell me and others, you can come to Wyoming with a warm welcome as long as you move here and assimilate not try to change everyone and everything about Wyoming.
BINGO!!!! We have a winner. You hit the nail on the head.
Adam

Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 AM

kristy
Why dont we start over.....I was wrong to say people here are not as intelligent.
Trust me, I will Never Try to change things in Wyoming.....As I have never tried to change things in TN. Remember from Boston, I had Culture Shock.
My hsb and I are quiet , accepting people.
I apologize to you and am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
I guess I am just excited to go west and see SNOW again......
Argument over??????? Be well,and safe and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

No hard feelings... Skaiblu54 I wish you the best on your move. Happy Holidays..

Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 PM

610 posts, read 3,314,254 times
sigh: I kinda miss the regular Wyoming way of doing things.
The above discourse would have ended with a clink-clunking of beer glasses, a few quickly exchanged right-crosses and a stroll out the back of the bar into the cover of the snowy trees for a private burning of "the offering".
Ah, I can smell that sweet scent of friendship even now ... funny ... it's really strong too ... almost like it's right h... ... .... Help! Fire! Ack ... Ack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming