Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,709 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm graduating at the U of Iowa with my psychology degree and then heading out to green river wyoming to be with my girlfriend. I'm getting pretty discouraged in trying to find a job out there. I've been told that working in the mines pays 60k a year. Is that true? if so, does anyone know how to even apply for something like that? I can't find anything online and I don't see any job openings for mining positions. I obviously don't have any mining experience, does that matter? Idk, I pretty much feel like my psych degree is useless out there, so I might as well just find a job where I can find a job some pretty good money.

thanks,

scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,079 times
I don't know about the mines, but working the CBM fields pays well. Lot's of companies are needing well pumpers, no experience - will train, starting around $23/hr and working around 20% overtime. I know guys making $60K+ with nothing but a high school diploma and a little common sense. Get a hold of one of the local newspapers for where you're looking at...lot's of times these companies advertise in the classified section. Or call the people yourself. Some of them are Devon, Marathon, Black Diamond, Lance Oil, Western Gas, Anadarko...just a few.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:26 PM

208 posts, read 909,700 times
Most of the mines are up here in the NE part of the state.... if you want good $$ at a mine you may want to consider Gillette.

RS has a lot of employment..... I personally know of a sales job that's open with our RS store. If you would like some info shoot me an PM here and I'll send you something.

You may want to check out Halliburton as well... I think their new corporate headquarters in in RS. They'll probably be looking for somebody with a degree and they'll probably be willing to pay fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawki2007 View Post
Hey all,

I'm graduating at the U of Iowa with my psychology degree and then heading out to green river wyoming to be with my girlfriend. I'm getting pretty discouraged in trying to find a job out there. I've been told that working in the mines pays 60k a year. Is that true? if so, does anyone know how to even apply for something like that? I can't find anything online and I don't see any job openings for mining positions. I obviously don't have any mining experience, does that matter? Idk, I pretty much feel like my psych degree is useless out there, so I might as well just find a job where I can find a job some pretty good money.

thanks,

scott

Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,775 times
HAWKI; your Psych-degree is not useless in Wyoming. You didn't mention which degree you hold ... but there are many positions in every county and state in the social work and counselling fields.
Evanston is home to a State Hospital - that's about 86-90 miles from Green River. There is the standard drug and alcohol problems and Rock Springs is big for regional rehab. There are also a few entire generations living in denial ... so you can consider political office. Also, most of the psychs I've known with their doctorates have been locked-up for years now ... so, those positions are often open as well.
Wyoming is not the easiest state to live in so far as income -vs- cost of living goes ... and being a shrink or doc may not pay as well as in some other, more populated states - but Wyoming needs you.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,970 times
Hay Scott, one of my best freinds moved to Rock Springs with a psyc degree , because he couldn't get a job in that field back east, and now makes good money in the gas fields. There is a boom on in South West Wyoming and if you can pass a **** test and are ready to work I don't think you will be to long without work. If you like overtime you can make over 100,000 /year in the right job.There are five major trona mines outside Green River. (google trona mining for info) They have been there for decades and many of the workers are at or near retirement age. One friend of mine has told me that FMC alone plans on hiring (replacing) 200 retiring workers over the next 5 years. There is also a few coal mines, open pit and underground, A large power plant and a fertilizer plant over by Rock Springs. The gas fields are going strong so be sure to look them up to. It is best to drive out to the company location/offices and ask to talk with the HR folks.Most of these places have guard shacks so ask the guards for info. You may have to set up an appointment ? (Another way to get your foot in the door is ask for a tour and then ,while on the tour,ask lots of questions about the operation.Then be sure to mention," how neat you think it would be to work in a place like this.") My advise would be to get in the car and drive out there for a couple of weeks and hit it hard. When you get there do not be afraid to talk to your neighbors ( or complete strangers ) about jobs. Many jobs are not posted. The first priority is to get a job, any job, so you can support yourself untill you have a chance to get to know the area and watch for better jobs. Do not be afraid to jump to a better job, just don't do it to many times.( I have worked at 3 mines and the fert plant) In my experience if you show up prepared to interview, ask a lot of questions, show an interest in working, your degree won't matter. Although in the long run having that degree will open the doors to management positions. Be ready to go to work , take your lunch with ya ! Good luck . (PS be sure to ask any friends/family of your girlfriends for help and info.)

Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks everyone. Its an undergraduate psych degree so actual psychotherapy stuff is out of the question. I suspected that the mining positions were not being posted and that I would have to actually walk into the company doors and ask for information/employment. Thanks for that, its a lot of help. I'm definitely looking into mining operations, hard work, and certainly over-time pay at least for a few years to rack up some money, get a house, car, savings account, etc! I'm sure it will be slightly detrimental to my health and that there are very real risks that come along with jobs like that, but i'm only 23 so I'm not too worried at the moment. I've read that the income could be 60K and now someone mentioned up to 100K a year. What sort of hours and base pay are we looking at here? 75+ a week? And how about work schedule, days off, etc.? The money would certainly be welcomed but I don't want my girlfriend to dump me because I'm never around! Especially since she's a teacher and has plenty of time off, including entire summers! Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback.

Scott

Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Scott, At the underground trona mines near Green River, they have jobs above and below ground. Underground the temperature is fairly constant, in the 70's. The drifts (tunnels)are actually very large , imagine a room in your house and then extend it out for miles. That is the size of the tunnels. The work is dusty and the company provides all of the safety equipment and training you will need. Your health over the long run is up to you really. Be safe and use the equipment and you will be fine. I know many people who have spent there whole working life in these mines, most are fine and enjoying retirement. As you said there are risks but that is why they get paid so well. Some people do not like working 1700 feet underground, it does take some getting use to. So again take a tour and you will know if it is something you can do. Miners are a different breed, they will give new guys a bad time just to see what they are made of. Just keep your cool and have a good sense of humor. Because at the end of the day these are the people you will count on if something bad does go down.
The above ground jobs are where the trona is processed and has a more diverse set of skills. But the weather is more of a factor.
Each mine has it's own personality, some union some not. Shifts are all different too some work 8 hour shifts, some 12 hour shifts. 40 hour weeks average. If you think about the people who work there you will see that they are of all ages and in my experience the older guys who have been there forever will have lots of vacation time so when they are on vacation someone has to fill in for them. Also sick time needs to be covered . This is where your overtime comes in. And you can work as much as you can stand in most places. This is where the 100,000 a year comes in. So you decide what kind of money you want and do your thing. At the fertilizer plant we worked a great schedule which gave you a week off , built in,every month. So we spent a lot of time in the mountains.
As you have said, be sure to spend time away from work with your girl. There are lots of things to do and see. My one free piece of advise would be to not let the big money go to your head. It is real easy to have all that cash start rolling in and start buying all sorts of toys untill one day you wake up and you have to work lots of overtime just to get by. Don't fall into that trap.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Scott, At the underground trona mines near Green River, they have jobs above and below ground. Underground the temperature is fairly constant, in the 70's. The drifts (tunnels)are actually very large , imagine a room in your house and then extend it out for miles. That is the size of the tunnels. The work is dusty and the company provides all of the safety equipment and training you will need. Your health over the long run is up to you really. Be safe and use the equipment and you will be fine. I know many people who have spent there whole working life in these mines, most are fine and enjoying retirement. As you said there are risks but that is why they get paid so well. Some people do not like working 1700 feet underground, it does take some getting use to. So again take a tour and you will know if it is something you can do. Miners are a different breed, they will give new guys a bad time just to see what they are made of. Just keep your cool and have a good sense of humor. Because at the end of the day these are the people you will count on if something bad does go down.
The above ground jobs are where the trona is processed and has a more diverse set of skills. But the weather is more of a factor.
Each mine has it's own personality, some union some not. Shifts are all different too some work 8 hour shifts, some 12 hour shifts. 40 hour weeks average. If you think about the people who work there you will see that they are of all ages and in my experience the older guys who have been there forever will have lots of vacation time so when they are on vacation someone has to fill in for them. Also sick time needs to be covered . This is where your overtime comes in. And you can work as much as you can stand in most places. This is where the 100,000 a year comes in. So you decide what kind of money you want and do your thing. At the fertilizer plant we worked a great schedule which gave you a week off , built in,every month. So we spent a lot of time in the mountains.
As you have said, be sure to spend time away from work with your girl. There are lots of things to do and see. My one free piece of advise would be to not let the big money go to your head. It is real easy to have all that cash start rolling in and start buying all sorts of toys untill one day you wake up and you have to work lots of overtime just to get by. Don't fall into that trap. .)

Thanks for the advise. What companies do you recommend working for. I heard about the week off thing from another source. What company is that for. FMC? That definitely interest me, especially since I won't have to worry about fighting for time off over the summertime. Another quick question. I will be borrowing my girlfriends car when i go to work since I don't have one. Is getting to the mines and these companies easy. That is, are they smooth, rocky, horrible over the wintertime, do I need 4W drive? Her little car doesn't get around that well in the snow, so for the meantime I'm definitely considering finding a job in green river so I don't have to take 80 to rock springs every morning in the winter.

Scott

Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Well Scott, I worked at the mines many years ago and things could have changed. Probably have. They all have to compete for the available workforce so they generally stay pretty close in benefits and pay. The union plants set the bar for the others . Some folks don't care to work in the union environment though. As I said before spend some time talking with as many locals as you can when you get there and get the scoop. The 7 off shift I worked was at the fertilizer plant, I am not sure what shift the different mines work.
All of the mines have highway access. Some are right off of I-80 some are further off the interstate on two lane highways. The roads are heavily traveled because these mines employ hundreds of people. Some of them used to have bus service to the mine and back, not sure if they still do. Have to ask them about that. So as far as travel you will get days when you will be traveling on snowpacked, icey, wind blown roads. But I would say that is less than 10 % of the time. Once you get on a crew you can ask the other workers if they car pool and maybe jump in with them. But choose your "freinds" wisely, there is a lot of after work drinking and smoking etc. On the way home.(Don't get me wrong, I say to each his own, just not my thing)
If you find work at any of the big employers there you will have to commute. The mines are about 45 minutes on average from GR . RS is about 15 minutes from GR. So be ready to spend some time driving and don't rule out any jobs in RS because you think it is a longer drive. Once you get work and can afford it a 4 wheel drive will be handy but again don't get in over your head.

Any of you other GR-RS folks have anything to add ?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,963 times
Smile Moving to Cheyenne

Hi,
I was born and Raised In Mass. Then moved to NH, Then lived in Fla, Then wound up in E.TN. ugggggggggggggggggggggggggg
I wanted to go back to New England, but prices and taxes are just out of reach....
So, We plan on moving to Cheyenne, Got info from the chamber of commerce,
I LOVE SNOW.....And living in NH taught me what it is like at 35 below zero.
We are starting to pack up our house and hope to be there By Sept.
Any info would be appreciated. Are people nice there??
I do not like living in the Bible Belt, and the IQ of people here in E.Tn
Is quite low.....
Cant wait to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming