U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,214 posts, read 2,672,138 times
Reputation: 1426

Advertisements

Looking for banks on line in Thayne. Found two
Bank of Star Valley or Wells Fargo.
I prefer smaller local banks. Would like to find out information, if there are other banks similar in the Star valley area, that others in the area prefer.
Feel free to contact me by PM if the information, is not allowed according to forum rules.
Thank you for your replies.
Scott
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 39,033,760 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Its fine, they can post them here, although I suspect you listed them all.

Jody should have some input, some time ago there were questions about banks and preferences.

Like you, I prefer local banks over National chains. Of course, if you travel a lot, it might be advantageous to also have an account with a national.chain. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Cabin Creek
3,236 posts, read 5,202,557 times
Reputation: 2351
Bank Of Star Valley is a local bank , started up after Star valley state bank sold to First Security (then First Security went to Wells Fargo). They have 3 branches Afton, Thayne and Alpine, I lived a semester or two at College with the bank president. I keep my ranch account there.
1st Bank used to be a bank out of Mountain View Wyoming , they have since been bought up by a Montana bank , they have branches in Afton and Alpine we dropped accounts there for personal reasons.
Wells Fargo has branches all over Hell, so I keep an account there as it seem when I travel I never get out of hell and it nice to have a bank by that you can go in and do some business , They have Branches in Afton , and Thayne.

One of the Jackson Hole banks have a branch in Alpine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,214 posts, read 2,672,138 times
Reputation: 1426
Thanks you for the replies EH and Jody. Sorry I'm late in replying but had to work late tonight.
I have One bank here Bank of Hawaii for savings/Checking. Second bank 1st Hawaiian bank when i have Car loans.
Also a Navy Federal savings account in case need a loan of some kind, like Housing loans.
I assume both banks do account transfers between banks, in different States. I have accomplished that in the past. When I Transferred in the Navy, to a new station to ensure direct deposits were change to the new bank before closing the old account. Thank you for the Information, Appreciate it. Talk with you later,
Scott
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 39,033,760 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Thanks you for the replies EH and Jody. Sorry I'm late in replying but had to work late tonight.
I have One bank here Bank of Hawaii for savings/Checking. Second bank 1st Hawaiian bank when i have Car loans.
Also a Navy Federal savings account in case need a loan of some kind, like Housing loans.
I assume both banks do account transfers between banks, in different States. I have accomplished that in the past. When I Transferred in the Navy, to a new station to ensure direct deposits were change to the new bank before closing the old account. Thank you for the Information, Appreciate it. Talk with you later,
Scott
I have always kept my Navy Federal account and as a matter of fact, I use it as my primary bank now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Idaho
5,808 posts, read 6,038,893 times
Reputation: 12273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have always kept my Navy Federal account and as a matter of fact, I use it as my primary bank now.
Can a Navy veteran open a Navy Federal Credit Union account?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Idaho
5,808 posts, read 6,038,893 times
Reputation: 12273
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Can a Navy veteran open a Navy Federal Credit Union account?
While realizing that it is poor form to answer one's own question, I do so here for archival purposes and for those who, in the future, may wish to know.

I went to the Navy Federal Credit Union, (NFCU), web site, (www.navyfederal.org), going to their "Membership & Benefits"/"Am I Elegible?" link. They give a list of who is eligible to join, with a note at the bottom saying, "...are you a qualified veteran? Please call 1-888-842-6328".

I did so and talked to a very friendly young lady named Sherri who is located at a NFCU call center in central Virginia.

Bottom line: unless I was wounded, as a veteran, I am not eligible to join.

However, my brother put in twenty years and retired from the Navy and that makes me eligible to join as a family member. So, I did! Gave Sherri all the information she asked for and said that my application would be reviewed in the next three days. They may come back asking for more information. (Funny thing. She did not ask for my brother's name or any other info about him. Perhaps later.)

p.s. After my local bank was sold for the fifth time, to Chase this time, I've given up on mega-banks and now only deal with credit unions. I love the places. Usually they have the lowest rates on loans and give the highest rates on savings. Have my money in my work credit union and my checking account with another local credit union, (since my work credit union does not offer checking accounts).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,214 posts, read 2,672,138 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
While realizing that it is poor form to answer one's own question, I do so here for archival purposes and for those who, in the future, may wish to know.

I went to the Navy Federal Credit Union, (NFCU), web site, (www.navyfederal.org), going to their "Membership & Benefits"/"Am I Elegible?" link. They give a list of who is eligible to join, with a note at the bottom saying, "...are you a qualified veteran? Please call 1-888-842-6328".

I did so and talked to a very friendly young lady named Sherri who is located at a NFCU call center in central Virginia.

Bottom line: unless I was wounded, as a veteran, I am not eligible to join.

However, my brother put in twenty years and retired from the Navy and that makes me eligible to join as a family member. So, I did! Gave Sherri all the information she asked for and said that my application would be reviewed in the next three days. They may come back asking for more information. (Funny thing. She did not ask for my brother's name or any other info about him. Perhaps later.)

p.s. After my local bank was sold for the fifth time, to Chase this time, I've given up on mega-banks and now only deal with credit unions. I love the places. Usually they have the lowest rates on loans and give the highest rates on savings. Have my money in my work credit union and my checking account with another local credit union, (since my work credit union does not offer checking accounts).
When i was in the Navy. You had to join NFCU over seas someplace, never could figure out why? Opened my account for $10.00 in Japan, been with them ever since. Yes, as long as a family member is a member then you are allowed to also, like in your post. Used the NFCU for one of my car loans also. Now days you can join at any Naval station in the US.
Scott
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top