U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM

3,121 posts, read 4,934,468 times

Advertisements

https://www.starvalleyindependent.com/

Reports of mountain lions in the north Afton area has prompted the Afton Police Department to issue a warning regarding the big cats.
“We have had several reports, tracks have been seen and the mountain lions have been seen multiple times in the Rawhide Trailer Court area,” said Police Chief Randy Haderlie. “If you see a mountain lion don’t try and approach it. Stay away and notify area law enforcement or the Game and Fish.”
According to Haderlie, the Afton Police Department has been working with local Game and Fish personnel on the issue.
“Right now it looks like these animals are just passing through the area,” Haderlie said. “We hope that continues to be the case. Nobody has been attacked. But there has been a number of different sightings. We just want to emphasize for people to stay away from the animals if they do see them and be aware that mountain lions could be in the area

Dear Editor:
Glad to read that we have some cougars in town. I just thought of a great idea for all those who like to watch deer and other wildlife (cougars) in town.
If all those who feed the deer would construct a perch above their feeders for mountain lions, they could watch deer interacting with predators, and at the same time they would be reducing the feral deer population in Afton which would please neighbors who don’t particularly appreciate the effect the deer have on their yards.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-17-2014 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Fix URL's
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 PM

2,164 posts, read 2,529,761 times
Reminds me of the time, when I was 7 or 8 and we had a mountain lion come into the
Woods near where we lived by the Green River in Washington State. The Sherriff's office
put out the word to watch out after dark and not let smaller Children, like me, darn, out
after dark. Heard the cat a couple of times at night, but after awhile didn't here of him
again. I did not here if they caught the Cat or he just moved on.
Scott

Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 AM

2,164 posts, read 2,529,761 times
That reminds me of another wild in-counter with nature, that year at our house. We had a Barn Owl come down our Chimney during the night. My father, as usual, got up early to head to work, and left the house, said nothing unusual. My mother was up getting breakfast ready for my brothers and myself. I spot the Own sitting up above the Fireplace on the upper rock shelf, watching every move we were making. I told my mom to come see the owl in our house. She freaked out and called my dad at work, he told her to call the Fish and game. Well she called the Sherriff's office and a deputy came out. He put on some, Big heavy leather gloves and caught the owl and let him go outside. Luckily we did not have a fire going the night before, as it was unusually warm that day. Might have had a fire during the night. I thought it was pretty cool, with a owl in my house, but my mother thought i was crazy. I told her he wasn't going to hurt anyone unless you make him mad or mess with him.
Scott

Old 01-18-2014, 03:32 PM

380 posts, read 848,124 times
Last December we had one attack our dog here just outside of Alpine. My husband fought it off and saved her but is was a very scary situation.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,777,894 times
Ranchers I know had a lion attack their sheep a couple of weeks ago, not far outside Meeteetse. The very sad part is that it is time for the baby lambs to start dropping, and many of them were stillborn. Some sheep were killed, but even those who weren't were affected by the attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming