U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,673,269 times

Advertisements

Read this in the news today.

Big Boy locomotive begins California farewell tour coming back to Cheyenne for restoration work. The goal is to eventually get Engine 4014 back on the rails, said Union Pacific spokesman Aaron Hunt.
Yahoo!

Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 01-27-2014 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: add information
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 AM

10,195 posts, read 12,888,463 times
This is wonderful news for railfans, students of the history of technology, and everybody who lives in Wyoming. I hope that one day I'll be able to take an excursion behind this beauty. The UP deserves thanks for doing this. Who says American corporations aren't our friends?

I understand the reasons for the planned conversion to oil but I wish I could see this behemoth under full steam with the smoke of Wyoming coal in the air.

I'm posting an interesting UP link as well as a film about the last days of steam on the UP with plenty of Big Boy action. It's a five-star movie.

UP: Steam

Steam Giants - YouTube

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is wonderful news for railfans, students of the history of technology, and everybody who lives in Wyoming. I hope that one day I'll be able to take an excursion behind this beauty. The UP deserves thanks for doing this. Who says American corporations aren't our friends?

I understand the reasons for the planned conversion to oil but I wish I could see this behemoth under full steam with the smoke of Wyoming coal in the air.

I'm posting an interesting UP link as well as a film about the last days of steam on the UP with plenty of Big Boy action. It's a five-star movie.

UP: Steam

Steam Giants - YouTube
You are Welcome Happy. I am a fan of Western History and the old Steam Engines. I saw one of the last steam Engines coming out of the yard in Seattle one day when i was 7. I can remember the steam/smoke bellowing out of the stack, as it passed below the overpass our car was on. It was a Assume experience.
Scott

Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM

11,451 posts, read 48,461,912 times
ScottS ... are you aware that there are annual trips scheduled for the steam locomotives each year?

Typically, a one-day excursion. They announce the schedule in the spring and usually sell out the trip(s) long in advance. IIRC, last year's local trip was a Cheyenne-Denver run. I think they also have done multi-day trips East from here; one of the crew mentioned that they take two cars for them ... a fully equipped maintenance/machine shop car and a living quarters car for the extended crew ... in addition to the paying passenger cars.

The shop in Cheyenne usually has at least one, sometimes two operational steam locomotives. They also have official tours of the maintenance shop and locomotives, but I've also dropped in and the fellows have been very kind to let me poke around and visit with me about what they're doing, the equipment, the repairs in progress, etc. As I understand it, they're one of two major rebuild shops for steam locomotives in the USA ... the other is back east (I don't remember where they said it is), and has some of the specialized heavy equipment for rebuilds that they don't have in Cheyenne. I recall they sent some on the linkages there to be rebushed a couple of years ago and it took a couple of months before the pieces came back to the Cheyenne shop.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,038,813 times
You can also run down to Hill City in the Black Hills of South Dakota, any day during the summer and ride a steam driven train through the Black Hills. They used to go Hill City to Mount Rushmore, to Custer, to ???? Now they have cut it down to just a single run into the hills and a layover at a big gift shop. Beautiful trip though. Open cars so avoid it when it's raining. hahahaha

Old 01-28-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
ScottS ... are you aware that there are annual trips scheduled for the steam locomotives each year?

Typically, a one-day excursion. They announce the schedule in the spring and usually sell out the trip(s) long in advance. IIRC, last year's local trip was a Cheyenne-Denver run. I think they also have done multi-day trips East from here; one of the crew mentioned that they take two cars for them ... a fully equipped maintenance/machine shop car and a living quarters car for the extended crew ... in addition to the paying passenger cars.

The shop in Cheyenne usually has at least one, sometimes two operational steam locomotives. They also have official tours of the maintenance shop and locomotives, but I've also dropped in and the fellows have been very kind to let me poke around and visit with me about what they're doing, the equipment, the repairs in progress, etc. As I understand it, they're one of two major rebuild shops for steam locomotives in the USA ... the other is back east (I don't remember where they said it is), and has some of the specialized heavy equipment for rebuilds that they don't have in Cheyenne. I recall they sent some on the linkages there to be rebushed a couple of years ago and it took a couple of months before the pieces came back to the Cheyenne shop.
Thanks Sunprit for the information. I read about the steam trains runs to Denver. I googled things to do in Cheyenne, found the information last year. I have that information on my looong list of things to do when i get moved up there.

EH Thanks for more information. Looks like i'll be making a trip to the Black Hills to Hill City, also. Adding to my loooong to do list, haha
Scott

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM

252 posts, read 536,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You can also run down to Hill City in the Black Hills of South Dakota, any day during the summer and ride a steam driven train through the Black Hills. They used to go Hill City to Mount Rushmore, to Custer, to ???? Now they have cut it down to just a single run into the hills and a layover at a big gift shop. Beautiful trip though. Open cars so avoid it when it's raining. hahahaha
I saw something similar when I was passing through northern New Mexico a few years back. They have a narrow gauge steam train running into Colorado for enthusiasts.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride it, but I snapped a shot before leaving:

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

9,256 posts, read 19,061,233 times
East.. Wilkes barre /Scranton Pa.

Steamtown National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

National Park Service rents out the Maintenance area, and they do tours, while they do repairs.

When my son and i went there few years ago, they had no steam train running, (We were the only ones there that day (weekday during the school year. ) They did take us for quick trip down the track in one of the switcher trains, that had to pick up a load of steel rails that were on a siding. We got to be in the Cab.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,406 posts, read 47,406,776 times
Great news and FUN for the heavy Iron lovers...

Come to PNW and enjoy this ole gal.
SP 4449 - Excursions :: Bend October 2012
And Crossing through my Neighborhood.

HD SP4449 (10-20-09) Highballing the Columbia River Gorge - YouTube
https://www.google.com/search?q=stea...w=1306&bih=864

While you are in the area...http://wasteam.railfan.net/
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists...y=USA&state=WA

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-29-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM

836 posts, read 1,515,207 times
Love those steam trains; I had a Big Boy video from the Forney museum in Denver I enjoyed- is it reticulated locomotives?

Here's the Durango-Silverton coming towards a creek I was panning
CO-15 Little Georgia claim with steam train - YouTube

This is a touching video of and old steam train and a father:

LiveLeak.com - Steam Locomotive - A tribute to LiveLeaker VivaHate's father
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: