U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM

399 posts, read 594,433 times

Advertisements

Does Wyoming get many tornados? Just wondering, I've noticed many homes without basements. The mountains/rocky ground may be a factor I realize, but what about inclement weather?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,243,919 times
Found this website with stats:

Tornado History Project: Wyoming

Surprised me that there were more than I'd ever thought. But I've also never been in a WY home (Fremont County mostly, some in Park and a smattering in others) without a basement unless it was a Trailer.

When I think "inclement weather" and Wyoming, it's always snow and wind related (thus, blowing snow). Not anything a basement will help with, just staying off the roads in those conditions.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM

18,696 posts, read 37,991,243 times
Wyoming has it's fair share of tornadoes, though it's not Oklahoma. The further West you go, the less chance though.

Of course, what's the difference of a Tornado with 110 mph winds, and cross winds on I-80 of 110 mph?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM

5,348 posts, read 5,330,401 times
Every state in the union, including Hawai'i and Alaska have experienced tornadoes. However, most of them are fairly benign and do not cause the catastrophic damage that we associate with mid-west tornadoes. (At least that is what I teach in my "Weather and Climate" community college class. Silly students...they will believe anything a professor says.)

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,485,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Every state in the union, including Hawai'i and Alaska have experienced tornadoes. However, most of them are fairly benign and do not cause the catastrophic damage that we associate with mid-west tornadoes. (At least that is what I teach in my "Weather and Climate" community college class. Silly students...they will believe anything a professor says.)
Yes, we had a tornado come through Kailua on Oahu last year. Scared the heck out of everyone over there. Took some roofs off several houses, and a lot of tree branches knocked out windows.
They start out as water spouts in the ocean. They usually the rise back up before hitting ground. This one did not, came right on in through Kailua.
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 01-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
...what's the difference of a Tornado with 110 mph winds, and cross winds on I-80 of 110 mph?
Did you see the little story about the sign that was posted in Casper last week. It was one of those electronic signs, I guess. When first posted it read (something like): "Dangerous Crosswinds 350 mph". Someone got a picture of it before they corrected it to 35 mph. The story stated: "Wyoming, where tornados are merely a gentle breeze."

We get quite a few tornados on the plains in eastern Wyoming, although most aren't very powerful; however, there was an F2 that hit Wright in 2005 that killed 2 people. Naturally it went right through a mobile home park.

Wright tornado 2005 clean up - YouTube

I've seen a few in/near Gillette over the years but none that did much damage. I don't remember ever hearing of one in the western half of the state.

When I first moved to Gillette in '71 they were (supposedly) quite rare, but then they became more common. I think the difference was that the county population started growing rapidly about then, meaning there were more people to see and report them. It seems the majority around here are in southern Wyoming, but the most damage we usually hear about is a ranch building losing its roof.

Like Brian, I haven't seen many homes without basements in Wyoming either, except for modulars that aren't set on a permanent foundation, which is usually the case with modulars. And mountain cabins.

When we built The News-Record building in '76 the contractor came to me and asked about digging the foundation. The problem was that they'd been trying to put in the trench for it and were using a jackhammer to get through the rock, but he said one rock was so big that they'd need to blast it out. His question: "Can we just form the foundation on top of the rock rather than digging down 4 feet?" I couldn't think of a good reason not to and neither could he, so about 20 feet of foundation under The News-Record building is only a foot or two deep.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 01-28-2014 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,330,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
...When we built The News-Record building in '76 the contractor came to me and asked about digging the foundation. The problem was that they'd been trying to put in the trench for it and were using a jackhammer to get through the rock, but he said one rock was so big that they'd need to blast it out. His question: "Can we just form the foundation on top of the rock rather than digging down 4 feet?" I couldn't think of a good reason not to and neither could he, so about 20 feet of foundation under The News-Record building is only a foot or two deep.
Reminds me about where we should be building our houses. (Mt 7:24-27)

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM

2,800 posts, read 2,813,829 times
I remember the one from 2009 in Goshen Co. that was estimated to be on the ground for about 40 minutes total and no buildings were damaged. Another good thing about being sparsely populated.

Wyoming Tornado, June 5th 2009 - YouTube

Goshen Co. was also where I experienced my first "rain wrapped" tornado. Very cool. Went right overhead.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
...It seems the majority around here are in southern Wyoming, but the most damage we usually hear about is a ranch building losing its roof....
I just glanced at this post from last night and "southern Wyoming" jumped out at me. I meant to write "southern Campbell County".

Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM

5,464 posts, read 2,739,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I remember the one from 2009 in Goshen Co. that was estimated to be on the ground for about 40 minutes total and no buildings were damaged. Another good thing about being sparsely populated.

Wyoming Tornado, June 5th 2009 - YouTube

Goshen Co. was also where I experienced my first "rain wrapped" tornado. Very cool. Went right overhead.
That Goshen tornado is one of, if not thee, best documented tornadic events of all time. At the end of the video you can actually see up into the funnel cloud. Awesome stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming