U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM

468 posts, read 672,073 times

Advertisements

Hi Wyoming! A few years ago, my husband looked for school counseling jobs there and came close but no banana. I remember how nice and helpful you all were when we took a trip around the state to visit all of the areas he had applied and really appreciated it. We ended up in Alaska. Due to circumstances, we are looking to come back south. My husband has already applied for openings in Cody, Sheridan and Greybull. He is applying in Montana too but the pay is soooooo much better in Wyoming. Another job was just posted in Afton which is why I am here. We know very little about Star Valley and it one of the few areas in Wyoming that we haven't at least driven though.

I will get the first dreaded question out of the way first. Perusing the threads, I see that there is a large LDS population. On the whole, that isn't a big issue. We are Christian but not LDS. However, I do worry about my kids. When we lived in a bush village, my kids were the only non-Native kids in the school. Most kids were great but there are a few that bullied them pretty badly because they were different. I just want to make sure that I am not going to put them in another position to be bullied because they are different than the majority of kids. Reading the other threads, I found positive responses and negative ones, where the posters did have bad experiences. I am aware that not every school relationship will be a happy one but I just don't want my kids to be miserable.

Looking at the climate data, of all the areas we are looking at in Wyoming, it seems like gardening would be the most feasible in Star Valley. Am I right? We currently live in Homer, AK and grow a lot of our own food using high tunnels to extend our short growing season. Would that work there? I would love to continue doing this, if possible. We also have chickens and goats too but I am not going to truck them down the highway. I don't even want to think of the hoops I would have to jump though to try that!

Otherwise, Star Valley seems to have a lot of what we love...mountains, hunting, snow snowmobiling, cross country skiing/snowshoeing, not too far from downhill, and snow! Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,947,804 times
Yes it mainly LDS but there a big new Catholics church in Thayne , there about 4 different Baptist , and few other Protestant Churches , pulse a large group of Baha'i .The gym at the High School has dozens of State championship banners for sport , music to speech and dance.
Actually Star valley is listed as possible frost 365days /year... but we dry farm here(alfalfa , barley , oats , wheat) and there a lot of gardens and even a few truck farms.
here a couple links
The official
Our Community - Community Profile
Star Valley Wyoming - Star Valley .com
Star Valley Wyoming History

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM

Thank you for the links, Jody. I appreciate it. It sounds like there are some great activities for the high school kids and a diversity of beliefs there. Well, fingers crossed, he is going to apply in the morning.

Selfishly, I am most excited to hear that there are gardens and some farms there. You definitely have a shorter season than we do in Homer but challenges are fun. I am already used to dealing with some high latitude issues so that should partially cross over. Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM

149 posts, read 216,996 times
Fellow school counselor here. Good Luck with the job search! Currently I work in Worland, but I'm looking at applying elsewhere in-state for the coming school year. So keep your hopes up! There should be quite a few openings this year, as it has been active so far. Have you heard anything yet for interviews? Being that your husband is applying for school counseling positions, I think he should have a good shot at least landing some interviews. Most guidance positions tend to be female dominated, I would put it at around 65/35 or thereabouts. So this might help him get a foot in the door. However, be aware too that you're competing against many local applicants, so it just depends on what the district is looking for and how well you interview. Good luck!

TNT

Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM

So that means I should tell him to keep an eye out for a potential opening in Worland? We did notice that the WY districts are posting school counselor positions earlier than other states. Good luck to you too!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM

11,369 posts, read 47,095,928 times
You wrote:

"Looking at the climate data, of all the areas we are looking at in Wyoming, it seems like gardening would be the most feasible in Star Valley. Am I right? We currently live in Homer, AK and grow a lot of our own food using high tunnels to extend our short growing season. Would that work there? I would love to continue doing this, if possible. We also have chickens and goats too ...."

You'll find that gardening in much of Wyoming will present similar challenges to what you already have dealt with via high tunnels in Homer ... short growing season and cool temps (esp at altitude). But it's very doable and by choosing an appropriate site for your garden, it's feasible to grow most of your own food. For the most part, you'll be able to also get production from an outdoor plot ... but you'll be challenged from year to year as to what will be a successful variety of produce; some years, bumper crops, some years ... some won't do so well, if at all. Much depends upon the weather cycles, wind exposure, and your soil condition each year after the spring thaw. There are many resources to call upon to optomize your gardening productivity throughout the state and a lot of local knowledge about what varieties may grow best for your needs.

With minimal acreage, domestic poultry is pretty easy and goats are generally easy keepers, too. You'll find them readily available throughout the region ... milkers or meat goats.

PS: Star Valley area one of my favorites in WY. You might also want to look at the Lander area, or Sheridan ....

Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 PM

That sounds pretty much like growing up here, just with different challenges and we have waaaay more water. Sometimes we have cold, wet summer and sometimes we have warm, sunny ones. I have already bookmarked a ton of Wyoming gardening and high tunnel sites. I love Lander too and hear there may be a position opening up in Fort Washakie. We shall see. He already has applied for a job in Sheridan too.

I may be overthinking this but I wanted to apologize for framing my first issue as an LDS/Mormon thing. I don't expect children with LDS upbringings to be anymore bully-ish than kids of any other religious upbringing. Bullies will be bullies. I just know from personal experience that things like cultural, religious, ethnic differences can be divisive and people who are bullies will target those differences. I am just feeling a little overprotective of my kids after their last experience.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 PM

149 posts, read 216,996 times
How is your husband's job search going? As you can see from the school boards website, a position just opened in Lander yesterday. The middle school counselor there retired after 30 some odd years. I hope you guys get some phone calls soon!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-26-2014 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: DM me if you have questions.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,947,804 times
back to the church question
STAR VALLEY WYOMING COMMUNITY CHURCHES

Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT25 View Post
How is your husband's job search going? As you can see from the school boards website, a position just opened in Lander yesterday. The middle school counselor there retired after 30 some odd years. I hope you guys get some phone calls soon!
It is coming along. We did see the Lander position. Thanks! Also just noticed an opening in Powell. I hope your potential search is going well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
back to the church question
STAR VALLEY WYOMING COMMUNITY CHURCHES
Thank you, Jody! That is quite a comprehensive list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming