Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM

39 posts, read 112,907 times

Advertisements

I recently had the pleasure of seeing Cheyene on my way south to Denver. I'd like to come back and see the Western Part of the state.

I'm interested in places anyone local to the state would recommend seeing. I'm mostly interested in notable landmarks and rural scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Yellowstone and Grand Teton are the destinations most try to see when they come to the state. Depending on where you are coming from, we could make recommendations based on that, especially if you are heading to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Hell's Half Acre, 40 miles west of Casper, is a gem. Rugged almost beyond conception, it was a filming site for Starship Troopers. It's definitely worth it, and on the way to Dubois and Grand Teton/Yellowstone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27..._Acre_(Wyoming)

Just after you leave Casper you'll go through Shoshoni, home of world-class milk shakes. Huckleberry is a regional favorite.

Yellowstone Drug Store - Shoshoni, WY | Yelp

Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Two places you'll not be stopping at anymore:

1) The bar/restaurant facilities at Hell's Half Acre were torn down awhile back, and the parking lot access just off the highway has been chained closed. I stopped there in 2011 and it was a derelict structure with a lot of vandalism evident, but at least you could walk around to the old back patio area and view the formation/cliffs. Can't do that anymore, it's all posted.

The closest you can get access now is the bar that is just to the East from that old site; I stopped in there in late Fall 2012 to maybe get a bite to eat and was (not favorably) impressed with the collection of local barflies that were operating the place ... the ladies were totally smashed and it was about 11 AM. The tobacco fog inside the building was a real put-off, too. They were friendly in a very obnoxious way ... like they don't see too many strangers stopping in to break up the monotony of the locals. Sorry, but my eyes were watering when they got within 15' of me while I was looking over the menu. If such local color interests you, it's a goldmine ... but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

2) The reincarnation of the Yellowstone Drug Store (which came to an end when the owners sold the building and the Drug store had to leave) as the Yellowstone Malt Shop failed as a business. Despite the efforts of several owners to keep it going, the place closed down in April 2012. The equipment and furnishings were trucked off, and the old fast food building where the Malt Shop had been operating was vacant after that.

FWIW, I enjoy the public Hot Springs pools at both Thermopolis and Saratoga. Both free to the public with nice locker/shower rooms ... monitored to control a 20 minute soak per visit. You can return after 4 hours for another soak. Thermopolis has your choice of an indoor and outdoor pool ... not terribly hot, the best spot as far as I'm concerned if the raw water inlet into the pool. Saratoga's Hobo Pool is HOT, especially at the rock formation where the water trickles into the pool; best to get into the pool at the far edge and then move closer to the inlet as your body can acclimate to the temp. You'll not be able to get too close to the inlet area. If you drive to either location in the spring/summer months, the scenery around the areas is spectacular ...

For local interest, I like Sinks Canyon outside of Lander. It has a couple of campgrounds where you can observe the disappearing/reappearing stream in the hillside formation.

As well, down in the Star Valley area is a periodic stream. The underground geological formation is somewhat similar to a geyser, but the difference is that it pushes out water into a stream which flows and then dries out after awhile.

Of course, the hills just outside Buffalo are a prime attraction, and Yellowstone is a worthwhile trip.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-21-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 08:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
fossil butte NM out side of Kemmerer is a neat stop too

Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
You can also see the original JC Penney store and JC Penney's house in Kemmerer. If you aren't dead set on western Wyoming you can see Devil's Tower (from Close Encounters of the Third Kind fame) and since you are already in the Black Hills you can see the sites there. Really you can have a great long vacation here if you have the time and the funds.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:40 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
If you go through Lander... have a drink/meal at the Gannet Grill and drive up into Sinks Canyon to see the "sinks" and "rise".

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 35,806 times
If you go to Yellowstone be sure to stop at The Buffalo Bill Historic Center of the West. It consists of 5 amazing museums under 1 roof.

Also if you are a Longmire fan the city of Buffalo is doing a Longmire festival again this summer.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy.dippy.vegan View Post
If you go to Yellowstone be sure to stop at The Buffalo Bill Historic Center of the West. It consists of 5 amazing museums under 1 roof.

Also if you are a Longmire fan the city of Buffalo is doing a Longmire festival again this summer.
BBill Historic Center is in Cody, so you have to plan on going to the East Entrance to make this stop on your way to YNP.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 35,806 times
thanks sunsprit! you're right, have to go in the east entrance. Theodore Roosevelt said the 50 miles between Cody and the east entrance of Yellowstone were the prettiest 50 miles in the US and I think he's right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming