U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 30,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
Your plates should be next to nothing on a car of that age. After they get a certain age, the rates really go down substantially. It's on the new ones that they get ya! They look up the MSRP in a data base to determine what to charge.

Check the post by Rescue 3 above. The DMV will look up the MSRP when new and use those numbers to determine the registration fee.

This is probably why your neighbors are using plate's from other states. Shame on them!

If the car was free it does not matter. The fee is based on the original Manufacturer Suggested retail Price, not what you paid for it or its current value.

The following is a possible example:

My 2001 GMC yukon had a MSRP of about $42,000. I bought it in 2011 for $8,500, the current value is under $8,000. My registration (based on MSRP - not the value) should be $252.00 for the 1st year, dropping to $126.00 after 6 years.

I plan to sell the Yukon and register a 1957 Chevy, either that or get a horse.

My 1957 Chevy Bel Air had a MSRP of about $2,300. I bought it in 2002 for $1,200, The current value is over $60,000. My registration (based on MSRP - not the value) should be $13.80 for the first year, dropping to $8.17 after 6 years.

If you want lower fees bring a vehicle with a lower MSRP. Its kinda funny you can buy a brand new car with a lower MSRP than many older cars and pay lower registration fees on the new car. Go figure.

The registration fees in Wyoming are higher than most other states but keep other fees, such as property taxes and insurance fees lower.

It was pointed out in another post that Hawaii bases the registration on vehicle weight. I guess we need a scooter there.

Note: Georgianwyo's other thread about residents with out of state tags.

Just my $.02 Randy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,038,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrose View Post
- snip -

I plan to sell the Yukon and register a 1957 Chevy, either that or get a horse.

My 1957 Chevy Bel Air had a MSRP of about $2,300. I bought it in 2002 for $1,200, The current value is over $60,000. My registration (based on MSRP - not the value) should be $13.80 for the first year, dropping to $8.17 after 6 years.

If you want lower fees bring a vehicle with a lower MSRP. Its kinda funny you can buy a brand new car with a lower MSRP than many older cars and pay lower registration fees on the new car. Go figure.

The registration fees in Wyoming are higher than most other states but keep other fees, such as property taxes and insurance fees lower.

It was pointed out in another post that Hawaii bases the registration on vehicle weight. I guess we need a scooter there.

Note: Georgianwyo's other thread about residents with out of state tags.

Just my $.02 Randy
The cost of your license plates bottom out after so many years. It doesn't keep going down. So I believe, your 57 is going to be a set price, every year, because it bottomed out, several years ago.

My 1985 Ford F250 has been the same price for tags, for several years now. $119. I ordered it new, in 1984.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 30,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The cost of your license plates bottom out after so many years. It doesn't keep going down. So I believe, your 57 is going to be a set price, every year, because it bottomed out, several years ago.

My 1985 Ford F250 has been the same price for tags, for several years now. $119. I ordered it new, in 1984.

You may be right EH. It's all relative anyway. The 57 uses much more gas because I put a bigger motor in it. Any savings will be negated by the cost of gas.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,878,222 times
Are motorcycles and recreational vehicles (campers, trailers, four-wheelers) the same licensing ...based on age? Can one store those for a number of years and just license once operational?

How about canoes and boats and boat trailers... oh my ...

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM

11,306 posts, read 46,368,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Are motorcycles and recreational vehicles (campers, trailers, four-wheelers) the same licensing ...based on age?

Yes

Can one store those for a number of years and just license once operational?

Once licensed, they're in the database system, and you will get a renewal notice for the next year in a timely manner.

If you don't license it for a year, you may still get hit with that year's fees the next year. In my experience, it takes several years of a vehicle being off the road before the county will accept your statement ... signed under penalty of perjury notice on the form ... that the vehicle has not been operational or operated on public roads for those years before they will exempt it from needing to have been licensed. It appears to be a judgement call on the part of the county as to how long a vehicle needs to be off the roads before they will allow you to do this.

How about canoes and boats and boat trailers... oh my ...
Same thing. I've got a fleet of boats and trailers which see infrequent use here in WY, but when I prep one for use it's hit with all the fees for the year or two or three that it wasn't used. Fortunately, the boat trailers are small single axle rigs with minimal fees so it's not too expensive.

What really shifted for me in the fee structure was when WY changed from exempting small lightweight trailers from registration to requiring them to be licensed. Most of my small sailboat trailers were homebuilt, lightweight units for 14'-19' daysailers.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 AM

You really have to jump through some hoops to exempt a license plate for a year.

My son flipped his truck, so he had it towed out to a ranch where he keeps his horse. When the license plates were due, he went to the courthouse and told them it was wrecked and it wouldn't be on the road for a while. They had to have pictures of the vehicle and a letter from the land owner stating that it was stored. Once he got all that together they gave him a letter/form that exempted him from licensing it until it was fixed.

They wouldn't accept just the picture, they had to have a letter from him and a letter from the land owner.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,878,222 times
Goodness! I hope your son was alright!

Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Goodness! I hope your son was alright!
Yeah, he was fine.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:19 PM

17 posts, read 19,777 times
When we tagged our out of state vehicles here they didn't make us get WY titles or check or VIN #'s. They just charged us the fee and gave us the plates. Maybe they are more strict in other counties?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:41 PM

11,306 posts, read 46,368,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances with WYo View Post
When we tagged our out of state vehicles here they didn't make us get WY titles or check or VIN #'s. They just charged us the fee and gave us the plates. Maybe they are more strict in other counties?
how long ago did you obtain your WY registrations?

it does appear that there was a lot of county clerk discretion about interpreting the laws for many years, but with the recent changes in the Fed laws about titling of motor vehicles (esp UTV's which include all motorcycles, not just road bikes) and Wyoming law changes about all trailers (no title/license exemptions anymore for lightweight single axle trailers) ...

WY county clerks may be starting to be more uniform about title requirements before issuing a registration.

What does stand out is that they didn't require a VIN inspection for your vehicles. That's an absolute requirement here in Laramie county on every motor vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or