U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 12:42 PM

23 posts, read 23,516 times

Advertisements

So I have to wonder, what types of vehicles do you recommend owning in Wyoming at-large? It seems very truck-oriented, which would make sense to me. My mother is looking to move to the Sheridan area, she drives a 2000 Ford F-150 and 2013 Cadillac CTS Sedan. I'm wondering if it's worth it for her to keep the CTS at all, or maybe do a trade-in for something more appropriate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 19,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
how long ago did you obtain your WY registrations?

it does appear that there was a lot of county clerk discretion about interpreting the laws for many years, but with the recent changes in the Fed laws about titling of motor vehicles (esp UTV's which include all motorcycles, not just road bikes) and Wyoming law changes about all trailers (no title/license exemptions anymore for lightweight single axle trailers) ...

WY county clerks may be starting to be more uniform about title requirements before issuing a registration.

What does stand out is that they didn't require a VIN inspection for your vehicles. That's an absolute requirement here in Laramie county on every motor vehicle.
Just a few months ago in October.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM

18,696 posts, read 37,954,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KynaMH View Post
So I have to wonder, what types of vehicles do you recommend owning in Wyoming at-large? It seems very truck-oriented, which would make sense to me. My mother is looking to move to the Sheridan area, she drives a 2000 Ford F-150 and 2013 Cadillac CTS Sedan. I'm wondering if it's worth it for her to keep the CTS at all, or maybe do a trade-in for something more appropriate.
Both of those vehicles are fine here in Sheridan. The trucks you see are usually tied in with Ranches, or people that need a truck for daily functions of hauling things. The Cadillac will do just fine around here.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM

23 posts, read 23,516 times
Thank you very much ElkHunter Good to know.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM

11,281 posts, read 46,151,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Both of those vehicles are fine here in Sheridan. The trucks you see are usually tied in with Ranches, or people that need a truck for daily functions of hauling things. The Cadillac will do just fine around here.
I'll second EH on this. Both vehicles are fine for their respective purposes in the area. My bet is the Caddy will be driven more than the truck ... and be very able for most of the year except for the very few worst storms that come through.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances with WYo View Post
Just a few months ago in October.
Good for you. Saved running around to get that VIN inspection and a number of fees that are done in some other counties.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:41 PM

123 posts, read 233,567 times
So if I have a 2013 SUV and a 2013 Harley and a 2008 Harley it is going to cost out the but every year. SUV retail 32K 2013 Harley retail 20K 2008 Harley retailed new at 25k

Old 03-15-2014, 09:03 PM

123 posts, read 233,567 times
And for me...the bank is in Illinois that holds the title to some of my vehicles as there is a "lien" on them. How would I show the title in Wyoming?

Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 PM

18,696 posts, read 37,954,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
And for me...the bank is in Illinois that holds the title to some of my vehicles as there is a "lien" on them. How would I show the title in Wyoming?
You should be able to get a copy of the title, but it will be marked that there is a lien on the vehicle. If you want to change the title to Wyoming, you'll have to go through your lein holder to see how they want to go about it, or even if they will. They may simply require you to registration and maintain the original title. And that's fine. You don't have to title in Wyoming, but you do have to register.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
Here in Laramie County, you'll head over to the County Clerk's office with your current vehicle registrations and the WY VIN inspections (done by any peace officer, you can head across the street to the County Jail Sheriff's dept. or a few blocks away in Cheyenne to the PD where they have a row of parking spaces outside the building reserved for this purpose; the fee will be collected by the County Clerk when they process your title). Since you don't have a physical title in your possession, you'll fill out an affadavit for each vehicle to apply for a WY title that is valid only for the purposes of getting it into the system so you can get your registration over at the County Treasurer's office (right across the hall). The County Clerk agent will go on-line or make phone calls as necessary to verify your ownerhsip in IL so that they can issue the WY title; the WY title is not valid for the sale or transfer of ownership. It is strictly used here to do a verification that you are the owner of the vehicle and that it's not a stolen vehicle. I've seen them do title verifications like this in a matter of minutes ... depending upon the state system. The title fee is nominal ... $15 or so ... but without that little document, you'll not be able to do business at the Treasurer's office.

Apparently, some of the other county clerks in WY are not doing this process ... yet. It may be streamlined as related by Dances in Gillette for last October, where having a current registration out of state will get the job done.

Other counties may still be doing it this way ... I'd check with the County Treasurer in the county where you are moving to verify what they require to register a vehicle there.

As far as a lien goes on a title, the lienholder is protected as long as the lien is recorded with the title. But the process in Laramie County allows you that option to get that restricted title which is not valid for a sale of the vehicle at less cost than getting the full use WY title. You'll still use your IL title in the future when you sell or transfer ownership of your vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or