Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM

117 posts, read 526,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
But that's my point - if you don't work there or put your children in the system. Amenities - the no income tax bit, but you pay high fees for vehicle tags. I paid income tax in GA, NM & CO, when we were living in WY. My tags cost very little. My children were educated in those states.
Did you drive on the roads in Wyoming while living here? If so, enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:34 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
But that's my point - if you don't work there or put your children in the system. Amenities - the no income tax bit, but you pay high fees for vehicle tags. I paid income tax in GA, NM & CO, when we were living in WY. My tags cost very little. My children were educated in those states.
You seem stuck on the idea that License plate fees pay for our schools. In fact, license plate fees pay nothing toward schools. How about streets, road signs, law enforcement, pavement markings, parking lots, street maintenance, etc?

If you live here, you obviously use the streets, read the signs, visit our parks. What you do, or pay, in another state, is of no matter, other than you should also pay your just dues in those locations.

You can not possibly live in Wyoming, without being a drain on our system, so it's only fair that you contribute. Although license plates are costly, look at all the rest that you are saving on. I guess I'm not understanding why a person would live here, and do all of their business elsewhere, if it weren't simply to take advantage of our great state and what it has to offer.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM

39 posts, read 59,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The money collected from license plates pay for a lot of ammenities in the state. Whether you work, or have kids, you still use those ammenities, so it's only fair that you help pay for those.
I sorta see Mattie's point. As a non-resident property owner, as you were then, they would have supported the schools with property, mineral and oil taxes. By not registering you only kept the county from spending the ad-valorem tax on county items. If you paid fuel taxes you paid for the roads. Then there's the money that is returned to the state from the federal govt - that as I have been advised is more than what is sent. Otherwise there's no other taxes in Wyoming - correct?

Last edited by captsam; 03-31-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You seem stuck on the idea that License plate fees pay for our schools. In fact, license plate fees pay nothing toward schools. How about streets, road signs, law enforcement, pavement markings, parking lots, street maintenance, etc? If you live here, you obviously use the streets, read the signs, visit our parks. What you do, or pay, in another state, is of no matter, other than you should also pay your just dues in those locations.
Same as non-residents and tourists. Do you want them to register also? About 20 yrs ago, when we were looking into the state - the only requirement was 120 days continous. Now it includes both renters and home owners. What if you're business is located in Utah or Montana are you supposed to run two sets of plates?

Quote:
You can not possibly live in Wyoming, without being a drain on our system, so it's only fair that you contribute. Although license plates are costly, look at all the rest that you are saving on. I guess I'm not understanding why a person would live here, and do all of their business elsewhere, if it weren't simply to take advantage of our great state and what it has to offer.
Your license plate taxes & fees are excessive when compared to surrounding states. Sounds to me like the state is getting desperate - like many others looking for more revenue.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
Same as non-residents and tourists. Do you want them to register also? About 20 yrs ago, when we were looking into the state - the only requirement was 120 days continous. Now it includes both renters and home owners. What if you're business is located in Utah or Montana are you supposed to run two sets of plates?

Your license plate taxes & fees are excessive when compared to surrounding states. Sounds to me like the state is getting desperate - like many others looking for more revenue.
Yep. Run two sets of plates, or even THREE sets of plates, like I have. You say Wyoming is excessive on plates, but nobody here has described exactly what the fees pay for. They are buried so deep into the infrastructure that I don't think we could find out exactly. However, you can not compare Wyoming fees to other states. How much do they pay in fuel tax, how about property tax, how much of that is brought back around for roads, for that matter how much of ours is? If you look at Highway funds, I think you'll find we draw near as much Federal Money as other states.

So by some peoples accounts, we should all cheat on our plates and not pay them. If we all do that, then we'll soon find out exactly where the money goes. I know, let's NONE of us put anything back in to our community, let's all just freeload and expect our neighbor to take up the slack for us. If that is the case, then move to Colorado, they're a nanny state and are more than willing to take care of the people that won't, or can't pay their fair share.

On the other hand, if you really want to live here and take care of the fees needed to utilize the great outdoors, the abundant wildlife, the laid back lifestyle..... By all means, move here, but expect to pay your fair share. Don't freeload, don't ***** about the roads, the schools, the weather, the people, the taxes, the long distances, just move along. The highway runs both directions.

You say Wyoming is getting desperate? How much do you pay on school taxes, for property where you live? What is the teacher to student ratio there? How is the teacher pay in your state? We do pretty good with our funding.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You say Wyoming is getting desperate? How much do you pay on school taxes, for property where you live? What is the teacher to student ratio there? How is the teacher pay in your state? We do pretty good with our funding.
There is 22% VAT on everything in lieu of property taxes. Income tax is 50% - no deductions. Those few that can afford a car $105k + 22% VAT - pay $2.94/ltr for gasoline vs $0.96/ltr in the States or $1.19/ltr in Alberta where my daughters live.

$7000 per student in 2013 with 7 students per teacher. Teachers are paid the US equiv of $70,000/yr + free housing. Teachers must be multilingual and have masters or higher degrees. Don't bother to apply - five year waiting list.

Food prices are high - milk is $1.39/ltr and butter $7.99kg, beans and rice is cheap $3kg; copra is free

Btw did I mention I don't live the USofA? I live in the South Pacific where I manage several fishing vessels. Before that I ran several businesses in Central America.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
There is 22% VAT on everything in lieu of property taxes. Income tax is 50% - no deductions. Those few that can afford a car $105k + 22% VAT - pay $2.94/ltr for gasoline vs $0.96/ltr in the States or $1.19/ltr in Alberta where my daughters live.

$7000 per student in 2013 with 7 students per teacher. Teachers are paid the US equiv of $70,000/yr + free housing. Teachers must be multilingual and have masters or higher degrees. Don't bother to apply - five year waiting list.

Food prices are high - milk is $1.39/ltr and butter $7.99kg, beans and rice is cheap $3kg; copra is free

Btw did I mention I don't live the USofA? I live in the South Pacific where I manage several fishing vessels. Before that I ran several businesses in Central America.
There are only a few counties that pay a tax on schools and those are "energy" counties due to the fact that those counties have more transients than the rest of the counties. I live in one. My 1800 sq ft home in town was taxed to the rate of $28.50 per year going to schools and buses.

You also asked if I expected tourists or people driving through to also contribute. They do in the form of fuels tax, and many counties or citys have a tourist 1% tax to help pay for rest areas, parks and such. But driving through is a lot different than using the pavement, the crosswalks, the school crossings, etc... on a day to day bases.

Our teachers are paid well enough that it is very difficult for a teacher to get into the state. There is not necessarily a waiting list, but there are teachers that have been trying for several years. Our teachers enjoy what they do because our schools are well funded and their salary is decent. Not long ago, one of our grade school principles transfered out and her job was listed with Wyomingatwork and although I am sure it was a salaried position, they advertised it at $32-$40 per hour, depending on experience.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
This irritates me as well. I see a lot of Illinois plates here in Missouri. A lot of them are probably college students, but one of my neighbors lives and works here and still has Illinois plates.

Some states, California I believe, are very strict about this. Some cops have a keen eye and will remember vehicles that have been in the state a while, but haven't been re-licensed.

I usually switch over my plates within a week of moving to a new states. Sometimes it's a bummer, especially if you just renewed your places in the old state.

On another topic, yes, Wyoming is an excellent state for teaching. I'm currently trying to get a job there, but not having certification in WY is kind of preventing me from getting hired at most places. Luckily I teach a subject with a limited teacher pool.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
This irritates me as well. I see a lot of Illinois plates here in Missouri. A lot of them are probably college students, but one of my neighbors lives and works here and still has Illinois plates.

Some states, California I believe, are very strict about this. Some cops have a keen eye and will remember vehicles that have been in the state a while, but haven't been re-licensed.

I usually switch over my plates within a week of moving to a new states. Sometimes it's a bummer, especially if you just renewed your places in the old state.

On another topic, yes, Wyoming is an excellent state for teaching. I'm currently trying to get a job there, but not having certification in WY is kind of preventing me from getting hired at most places. Luckily I teach a subject with a limited teacher pool.
It is really quite easy to get certification in Wyoming if you are certified in another state. What is it that is preventing your from doing this? Maybe I could help you out some. No promises, but I could help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming