Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 PM

123 posts, read 262,079 times

Advertisements

Can I get some feedback on what it typically cost for title and license for new/used cars, etc.. in Wyoming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM

11,549 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Not without knowing what y/m/m you're inquiring about.

You'll pay your local residence area sales tax rate for any new/used vehicle purchase, so must factor that into the costs of putting a vehicle on the road the first year.

The ownership/registration fees are based upon vehicle age and the factory list price as listed in the guideline books that the state uses for reference; doesn't matter what you paid for the vehicle, the original list price is the number that the county will use. The county uses a sliding scale for the fees as the vehicle ages, which drops to the minimum in about 6 years.

A new vehicle title costs approx $20.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,689,287 times
Sunsprit is exactly correct. Here's an example:

My wife drives a 2007 Toyota Highlander and I drive a 2004 Ford Crown Vic. Both are more than six years old, so last year I paid about $350 for both cars' tags for the year.

Last year I bought a new Gator utility vehicle and licensed it. The MSRP (which was a good bit more than I paid for it) was $15,000 or so. I paid $268 for the tags on that vehicle alone.

The tax starts at 60% of the MSRP. Here's the formula for a $20,000 car:

$20000 x 60% x .03 = $360.00

That tax will decrease by 10% for each of the next five years, and then to 15% the sixth year.

Here's what that looks like:

1st Year: 60%
2nd Year: 50%
3rd Year: 40%
4th Year: 30%
5th Year: 20%
6th Year or More: 15%

You can apply that to your vehicle's MSRP and know exactly what you'll pay.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 262,079 times
Thank you guys for the replies....very much appreciated. A little pricey, but doable...

Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 AM

6,330 posts, read 7,673,059 times
What happens when an immigrant brings their cars from their home state?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,161,873 times
My question is... how does one know what the MSRP is... my vehicle was a gift (Gram's after she no longer could drive)...and it is a 97...she bought it used. Do they go by the original value or what the owner last paid?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM

11,549 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
What happens when an immigrant brings their cars from their home state?
If you are bringing in a car that you have already titled and registered in another state of residency and are moving to WY for a new primary residence, then you have a short time period in which to obtain a WY title/registration on the vehicles.

You will be required to have an affadaivit of VIN inspection on the cars. Typically done by any peace officer ... the local PD, a sheriff deputy, for a nominal fee. You may want to revisit your paperwork before heading to WY to verify that the numbers do match the VIN; it's an awkward process to correct the paperwork once here if your original state paperwork isn't matching. WY will not approve your title if the numbers don't match, and they do catch errors.

There is no state vehicle inspection or emissions inspection, but you are required by law to have the vehicle in proper operable condition and in compliance with the original fed mandated emissions equipment. Failure to comply with this can result in a ticket; some local police departments love to write citations for a missing light, for example.

With that VIN inspection document, current registration, and proof of insurance, you head over to your county offices to visit the Clerk, then the Treasurer.

In some counties, you'll then be writing two separate checks: The first for the WY title application to the County Clerk. As mentioned previously, you can get a full WY ownership title or a "non-transferable" title which is used to do an ownership verification. It's run through the system to be sure that you are the owner of the vehicle. If your title is fairly recent, it will be in the national database system and quickly verifiable by the clerk handling your paperwork. If you have older vehicles purchased awhile back, it may not be so easy to verify, so having your title in hand is helpful (like when I brought in several cars I owned purchased in the 1970's, not in the computerized database). The clerk will issue your WY title, which you take to the Treasurer's office/desk ...

Where they will look up the "Factory Price" on the vehicle and determine the current "valuation" upon which the County Fee is assessed. They add the State Lic Fee to that to get the Registration cost and you pay the County Treasurer for that. If you have current valid license plates from another state on the car, they may require you to turn them in to receive your WY plates. This is the desk where you'll show your proof of insurance for the car.

In Laramie County, you'll visit two different offices in the County Building (right across the hall from each other). In some counties where they don't have the volume of transactions, you may find that there's only one desk performing all the facets of the title/registration transaction for the Clerk and the Treasurer (even though the process involves two separate transactions). Tip: in Laramie county, don't do this on a Monday morning when all the car dealer title clerks are there with stacks of folios to be processed from the weekend sales, or on a Friday afternoon close to the end of a month; wait times for service can be lengthy.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-06-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,197,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
My question is... how does one know what the MSRP is... my vehicle was a gift (Gram's after she no longer could drive)...and it is a 97...she bought it used. Do they go by the original value or what the owner last paid?
Your plates should be next to nothing on a car of that age. After they get a certain age, the rates really go down substantially. It's on the new ones that they get ya! They look up the MSRP in a data base to determine what to charge.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,197,974 times
It is on the new cars that you really pay out the nose! It REALLY hurts when you have to buy those first plates plus pay sales tax!!! UGGGGG! We just paid our second year on the new vehicle we bought last year. I have a 2013 Dodge Journey (crossover AWD) that cost about $36K new. The tags this year were a little over $500. That hurts!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM

6,330 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
If you are bringing in a car that you have already titled and registered in another state of residency and are moving to WY for a new primary residence, then you have a short time period in which to obtain a WY title/registration on the vehicles...
Thank you for the detailed information. It's a bit confusing, but I guess it will make sense By the time I make the move.

Here in CA, registration is due every year, but the month varies. In the old days, it was at the beginning of the year for everyone, but I guess that as the state grew in population, it created too big of a paper jam at the DMV, so they switched to a system where your registration is due the last day of the month that you purchased the vehicle.

Many states allowed an immigrant to delay registration until their old registration expired. From what you are saying, WY is not like that. So, it looks like I can expect to pay several hundred dollars for a registration in CA, then move the following month and have to re-register again, paying close to the same amount. Doesn't seem quite fair, and may affect the timing of any moves. It's going to cost me a lot to bring my three cars and two motor bikes, (the AWD Lexus hybrid SUV, the ancient diesel Mercedes run-about sedan, the "classic" Mercedes coupe that only comes out on sunny Sunday afternoons, the Vespa, and the MP3 Piaggio. I really should sell the coupe, but just can't bring myself to do so emotionally.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming