U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,626 times

Advertisements

Hi, my parents are relocating to Cheyenne, Wyoming from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I am an upcoming junior in high school and was born and raised in South America, then moved to Florida and have lived there ever since. I was wondering what is Cheyenne like? Is it more similar to a small town or a big city? What is the culture like there? Are the schools good? Are the kids nice? I am smart, driven, and outgoing, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to relate to my peers. Is there any advice any one can give me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM

11,290 posts, read 46,229,775 times
you wrote:

"but I'm afraid that I won't be able to relate to my peers. Is there any advice any one can give me?"

I get the impression that you've got a chip on your shoulder ... "smart, driven, and outgoing" ...

So here's my advice:

Be prepared to find that there are plenty of other HS juniors here already that are "smart, driven, and outgoing" ... no less than you.

What you make of that situation is up to you, but the "won't be able to relate to my peers" problem will be yours, not theirs.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 PM

40 posts, read 63,290 times
Cheyenne isn't going to be a "big city" from your point of view, coming from Ft. Lauderdale, but it's a city and it is close enough to Denver to be influenced by Denver for good and for bad. If you miss big city life, it will only be an hour drive to the south.

I don't have a problem with you thinking of yourself as smart and driven. Good for you. You know who you are and don't change to fit in. There are going to be other kids with similar interests and the fact that you have an interesting background will be intriguing to some. Cheyenne has an awesome library and it even has a teen floor. That might be a good starting place for meeting people, particularly if you move during the summer and aren't yet in school.

Good luck. You may have some amount of culture shock but just consider it a new experience in life for this time in your life, and immerse yourself in it.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,242,117 times
Heck, I was born and raised in Wyoming and *I* didn't fit in with my peers (at least until college). That's part and parcel with being a teen/in high school. Don't worry too much about it, simply by being yourself others will find the value in getting to know you and call you friend. Treat others well and ignore those who don't offer you the same curtsey and you'll be liked well enough/be welcomed as a friend.

The one caution I'd offer is to NOT make comparisons to FL. WY is different, it won't offer all of the same experiences and things as you have now, but it will also offer completely different things that just aren't available in FL. You aren't going to change WY or the people there just because you might miss something and think it ought to be the same in WY. It's a big mistake some people make when moving and nothing will alienate you faster.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Girl View Post
Cheyenne isn't going to be a "big city" from your point of view, coming from Ft. Lauderdale, but it's a city and it is close enough to Denver to be influenced by Denver for good and for bad. If you miss big city life, it will only be an hour drive to the south.

I don't have a problem with you thinking of yourself as smart and driven. Good for you. You know who you are and don't change to fit in. There are going to be other kids with similar interests and the fact that you have an interesting background will be intriguing to some. Cheyenne has an awesome library and it even has a teen floor. That might be a good starting place for meeting people, particularly if you move during the summer and aren't yet in school.

Good luck. You may have some amount of culture shock but just consider it a new experience in life for this time in your life, and immerse yourself in it.
thank you so much, this really eased my nervousness.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:42 PM

40 posts, read 63,290 times
Whatever your interests are, see if you can find clubs, local Facebook groups, etc. I just found on Facebook that there's actually a group of French speaking people in Cheyenne that meets in the library. They have a French speaking club.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 45,519 times
I too live in Florida and I can tell you that you'll definitely hit culture shock in Cheyenne being from Ft. Lauderdale. There's absolutely nothing in south Florida size-wise, culture-wise or anything else wise that you can even compare it to. As you know southeast Florida is a massive congealing pot of many different cultures, races. people and religions and the crime statistics prove that.
Being a teen you'll find your own place and own way in time. Just don't let the haters get to you and cultivate the friendships you will make along the way. You'll be fine if you stay focused on the good.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,874,579 times
The weather will likely shock you more than the people. I've found that Wyoming people are some of the friendliest. Not sure about school age, though my daughter was in school in Wyoming 14 years ago...things do change.

I don't think you sound as if you have any chip on your shoulders, just a young person wanting a good idea of what is coming down the road and you have both eyes open, which is good. Don't be worried about being "smart and driven"...as those are both excellent qualities. My best advice is to not try to compare Florida to Cheyenne in any way. Apples and Oranges...and both have their good and not as good points for locals and transplants alike. Make sure you have a good set of winter clothes by autumn, and be friendly.

Schools, from what I gather from friends, and from being a teacher wanting to move back to Wyoming, are probably higher quality than those in Florida. (My friend in Florida sent her son back to Minnesota because they were teaching a grade and a half behind where we were here in MN...and she tried several schools). :-\

Oh and drink plenty of water... there is not the humidity you are used to and you will feel "dry" much of the time until you acclimate.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,675 times
You'll be just fine. I relocated my family including 3 children ( 1 high school, 1 jr high and 1 elementary) from the Bay area of California to Cheyenne last summer. They love the schools out here and have acclimated fine. You have good and bad people everywhere but in Cheyenne, they are mostly good. My highschooler absolutely loves his school (East High) and is thriving where he struggled prior to moving here. The only thing we miss is the beach from CA, but WY offers so many recreational activities.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
High school is such a challenging time for everyone. My daughter is a sophomore in far northern Wisconsin and we are planning to move to Cheyenne in the next couple of months or so. There is definitely a lot more to do in Cheyenne. I'm excited about the adventure and my new job there. She's worried about leaving all her friends behind, as one would expect. I have had positive interactions with all those I've spoken to thus far and she and I are looking forward to our first visit in a few weeks. People are people, wherever you go, and meeting new ones is near the top of my list of favorite things. Hopefully, she'll meet new friends to add to her list and see it as a gift rather than a loss in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or