Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,986 times

Advertisements

Am thinking about moving back to Gillette as my situation here in Cheyenne is not working out. I lived in Gillette about 7 years ago and jobs were everywhere but no housing. Am wanting to know from people living in Gillette right now how the job market is. Mostly entry level type work/jobs. Have asked people here and there on other forums/social sites and have been told either no jobs or plenty of work around. I have also checked here and have found out what I need to know about housing but can't seem to get an answer about jobs. I am looking for hard labor type and or roustabout since that's what I did before. I also check Gillette news record and Wyoming at work every few days but It seems word of mouth is the best. Thanks for your time and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Campbell County's March jobless rate was the second lowest in the state at 3.3 percent, so I'd think you could find work if you have a clean record and can pass drug tests. It's not like it was 7 years ago, however. I don't have many ties with the oil/gas patch, but as a landlord I've rented to many employed by various oil companies.

Most seem to do well, but I've also had a couple guys who had drinking problems and couldn't get/keep good jobs. I had a son-in-law who lived here 7-9 years ago. He was about 21, and I'd encouraged him and his young family to move here for good wages, but weed was more important to him than a good job. He still found jobs, but they didn't usually last too long and none compared to what he could have gotten with a little drive and will to succeed. (He's now my EX-SIL!) Gillette's just not a good town for employment if you smoke pot, as most good jobs require a drug test, even a good share of the crappy jobs. (Don't mean to insinuate that YOU partake, but just fair warning in case you've dipped your heals into Colorado's newest industry... STOP!)

Old 05-01-2014, 02:37 AM

185 posts, read 461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Campbell County's March jobless rate was the second lowest in the state at 3.3 percent, so I'd think you could find work if you have a clean record and can pass drug tests. It's not like it was 7 years ago, however. I don't have many ties with the oil/gas patch, but as a landlord I've rented to many employed by various oil companies.

Most seem to do well, but I've also had a couple guys who had drinking problems and couldn't get/keep good jobs. I had a son-in-law who lived here 7-9 years ago. He was about 21, and I'd encouraged him and his young family to move here for good wages, but weed was more important to him than a good job. He still found jobs, but they didn't usually last too long and none compared to what he could have gotten with a little drive and will to succeed. (He's now my EX-SIL!) Gillette's just not a good town for employment if you smoke pot, as most good jobs require a drug test, even a good share of the crappy jobs. (Don't mean to insinuate that YOU partake, but just fair warning in case you've dipped your heals into Colorado's newest industry... STOP!)
I don't know if I was just over-protected but I've never understood the allure of ANY kind of smoking!
I've just gotten my foot into a warehouse job and I'm learning of so many Iowans here partaking of the stuff... it's really disappointing.

Good to know Gillette has opportunities for honest hardworking people! I'm still looking to relocate myself
Maybe get forklift certified in my current place to expand my customer service dominated resume...

Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,986 times
Oh no no no..no drugs for me I haven't done any pot for over 8 years now. How ever I do have a felony that is almost 10 years old and no trouble since. No DUI just a honest man looking for better paying work than what I can get here in Cheyenne. Thanks for the replies am ready to pack up with in a few weeks for a better job and I have about 2 months worth of cash saved up for at least a a long term stay at a cheap motel until I can find housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: