U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,482,494 times

Advertisements

Here is a CNN article about the best states to retire.
South Dakota rated #1, Wyoming rated #5. The Article rated that Wyoming’s low quality of its healthcare is far below that of the top ten states. Still rated #5.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-s...060000386.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 AM

11,281 posts, read 46,140,745 times
IMO, the premises of these types of articles are very flawed ...

for example, they cite good healthcare in Colorado as being a feature, but the lower quality of healthcare in Wyoming. My first question is what is the basis for asserting low quality? is purely a function of lack of access because of the limited/sparse population leading to time/distance to available services determined by some formula compared to the access in metro population areas around the country? not disclosed by CNN, is it?

Access to services for a Wyoming resident are not limited by the state border in the same way that taxing authority is limited by the residency state. I can shop medical services out of state.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 AM

5,321 posts, read 5,314,947 times
Having devoured all of these types of on-line articles the past year or so, I've found that pretty much WY, ID, UT, the Dakotas are near the top of the list, along with a few states in the deep south. None of them really reveal anything new or unique. I'm waiting for someone to publish their algorithm or methodology before I waste too much more time going over them.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 AM

3,065 posts, read 4,840,764 times
like taxes , when they divide the whole taxes paid by oil and gas by Wyoming residents we look really bad , then the next article show what people really pay and industry pays and it a totally different story about the same thing.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,482,494 times
In every article i have read in the last two years. I agree its always the Dakota's, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, ect...except they just switch spots depending how the question is used. There is a lack of providing data to back up the research. From my research on Medical overall. Some of the medical hospitals are rated high in Wyoming, and in the country. Just the distance to medical care get there can be a difference, in prompt care or delayed care. I will continue to research wyoming (Still rated in the top ten), and planning to be my new home reguardless of this article.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 166,260 times
If you were retiring and looking at Wyoming, what cities would be best? I assume I can't afford Jackson Hole because it's a ski resort. I'm from the Seattle area and I'm looking for a city that has some kind of "downtown" center. All I know about Wyoming is that it got a high score from some retirement survey, it's colder than sh*t in winter, and my niece went to school in Wyoming and loved it... but she's horsey.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaweha View Post
If you were retiring and looking at Wyoming, what cities would be best? I assume I can't afford Jackson Hole because it's a ski resort. I'm from the Seattle area and I'm looking for a city that has some kind of "downtown" center. All I know about Wyoming is that it got a high score from some retirement survey, it's colder than sh*t in winter, and my niece went to school in Wyoming and loved it... but she's horsey.
It depends on what you are wanting to do as a retiree. Let us know some of your interests, what you "must" have, what you would like to have, size of town you prefer, etc.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,513,342 times
I'll give you my list, if I currently lived out of state and wanted to move here, assuming I had no family living in Wyoming: Buffalo, Sheridan, Lander and Cody, in that order. This is not to eliminate the smaller towns near some of those, such as Story, Big Horn, Ranchester and Dayton that are all within 15-20 miles of Sheridan. I base that on the general friendliness of the towns that I've experienced, scenic beauty, access to nearby mountains and access to the outside world. Incidentally, those 4 all have pretty nice downtown areas, Sheridan probably the best.

I live in Gillette. It's a nice town and I wouldn't move to any of the others, but if I didn't have ties here, I'd pick one of those I listed (or a nearby smaller town). I'm also not too familiar with the west end of the state. I know people who love Pinedale, for example, and others who would choose Wheatland, Sundance, Laramie or other towns throughout Wyoming.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 4,840,764 times
Star Valley ranch is built around a couple 18 hole golf courses , with swimming pool and tennis courts. It a incorporated town but also a home owners association. A lot of 2nd homes and just summer residents. 40 minutes to Jackson, 90 to Idaho Falls. Then there the rest of the 2 valleys http://www.starvalley.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming