Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 05:18 AM

207 posts, read 496,871 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Jackson Wyoming for a summer job and I just have a few questions that need to be answered.

The most important questions will be in bold.

1. Is it safe to go hiking alone up in Wyoming? I plan to do so when I am up there. I prefer to do stuff alone in general.

2. Are there major power outages every now and then up in Jackson Wyoming? I hope not.

3. Are there any Russians in Wyoming? I heard that there are many Russians living in Jackson Hole and I was wondering if it was true or not.

4. What is the whether like up in Jackson?

5. Is hiking up in Wyoming equally as fun or better than hiking in Colorado and California?

6. How is river rafting in Wyoming? Is it just as good as river rafting in Colorado?

7. Do you see a lot of bears and buffalo up in Jackson Wyoming? I have always wanted to see a bear, especially up close! Since I will be hiking up in Wyoming, I reckon that it's going to be fun to see one for the first time!

8. How fun is it to be out in the wilderness while hiking up in Wyoming?

Final Question: Is everything up in Wyoming including Yellowstone all that it is hyped up to be?

PLEASE ANSWER ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS THOROUGHLY!!! I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:41 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
#3 there are Russians working in Jackson.... some of them just put in time.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
I am moving to Jackson Wyoming for a summer job and I just have a few questions that need to be answered.

1. Is it safe to go hiking alone up in Wyoming? I plan to do so when I am up there. I prefer to do stuff alone in general.

Though you could likely find more information on your own, I did a quick Google check and this link for hiking turned up. I can't tell you about the safety aspect, as I've never done any hiking there.

2. Are there major power outages every now and then up in Jackson Wyoming? I hope not.
no idea
3. Are there any Russians in Wyoming? I heard that there are many Russians living in Jackson Hole and I was wondering if it was true or not.
Any particular reason you ask? I'm sure there are people of all ethnic backgrounds there.

The weather changes daily... your best bet is to do an internet search of Jackson Hole weather. I've been there when it was snowing in June and sunny in winter. Be prepared for all.

5. Is hiking up in Wyoming equally as fun or better than hiking in Colorado and California?
no clue.
6. How is river rafting in Wyoming? Is it just as good as river rafting in Colorado?
No idea...again, try doing a web search.
7. Do you see a lot of bears and buffalo up in Jackson Wyoming? I have always wanted to see a bear, especially up close! Since I will be hiking up in Wyoming, I reckon that it's going to be fun to see one for the first time!
Fun...until bear sees you as a threat and decides you are lunch. Don't mess with bears, especially if you are off hiking by yourself. You might consider doing a tour to see one... check with Yellowstone park too.. bison are there as well. No guarantees.
This is a purely subjective question... what is fun for you might not be for another. I'm sure plenty of people would enjoy it though.
Final Question: Is everything up in Wyoming including Yellowstone all that it is hyped up to be?
You will have to be the judge of this yourself.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post

Are you a man or a woman? And, what do you mean when you say "safe". Safe from attack by people with no good intentions? Safe from attack by bears, snakes, or an amorous moose? Or, safe from falling off the edge of a cliff, breaking your leg, and wouldn't be able to hike out or get help?

Hiking is inherently dangerous. You will have to explain what you mean by "safe".

Me, as a man, would have no second thoughts about taking off for the day into the bush. If you respect wildlife, dress appropriately for all possible weather that could be encountered, have sufficient water and food, stick to the trails, and don't be stupid . . . I wouldn't expect you'd encounter any adverse situations.

Every urban center experiences power outages from time to time. Most of them are caused by weather, but they also happen for maintenance purposes or even something as silly as an errant automobile smashing into a power pole. If this is a huge concern, then you should consider a UPS for whatever electronic equipment is dependent on reliable power.

There are Russians everywhere, just as there are most nationalities in every country of the world. Not sure why this is a concern. I've worked with Russians throughout my professional career, (space program), and have found them to be "real people", honest, decent, and people of integrity. Russians are good people. Usually, it is their government that non-Russians don't like, (even a lot of Russians don't agree with their government or what their government does - just like most government around the world).

"whether"??? Assuming you mean "weather", take a look at the City-Data page for Jackson.

From wikipedia, "Jackson experiences a humid continental climate (Köppen climate classification Dfb) that falls just short of being classified as a subarctic climate (Köppen Dfc). Due to its elevation and location in a humid microclimate, it gets considerably more precipitation - much of it snow - than most of the rest of Wyoming. Its elevation is also responsible for extreme differences between day and night temperatures."

"fun" is a term that means different things to different people. What is "fun" for you may not necessarily be "fun" for me. If you are asking if the emotional experience of hiking in WY is similar to that in CO or CA . . . assuming an equivalent ecosystem, yes.

White water rafting, probably not, especially on the Snake River. Free floating and kayaking, yes.

Again that term "fun". It is not "fun" to see wildlife "up close". However, it is an exhilarating and emotionally fulfilling experience. You definitely do not want to see bears and bison "up close". If you were to accidentally come between a mother and her cubs . . . well, we'll be reading about you in the newspaper. The best place to see bison is in Yellowstone. Not many around Jackson. They are traditionally Plains animals. If they every went into the mountains, it would be because they were migrating. Wherever you see them, give them a wide berth. They are docile creatures, but huge! Stay at least 20-30 feet away from them and don't attempt to get in front of them.

Bears? Give them a wider berth. Don't even think of getting "up close" to any of them, especially a Grizzly. The best place to see bears are in the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. Again, just like the ocean . . . you must respect wildlife.

Again, that "fun" word. This is something that only you can answer for yourself. For me, "yes". But then, I can have the same type of fun hiking anywhere in the world.

Yes! I believe this so much so that when I retire, I will move to within an hour drive of Yellowstone. I'd live within the park if it were (legally) possible.

Last edited by volosong; 05-15-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
Love the answers you gave volosong... mine weren't as in-depth. >.<

Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
6 there a couple of White water rafting outfitters that run Snake river canyon , like any white water you have the big kahuna, taco flats, and other rapids and falls that share similar names on white water rivers.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:46 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
6.) There a couple of White water rafting outfitters that run Snake river canyon, like any white water. You have the big kahuna, taco flats, and other rapids and falls that share similar names on white water rivers.
Ah! Right you are. I was thinking north of Jackson.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
(4) What is the whether like up in Jackson?
Bring a regular jacket days will be warm. Night will cool off.
80's during the day. 40's at night. The elevation is 6237 feet.
As pointed out you could have a snow storm pop up, you never know.
(7) Do you see a lot of bears and buffalo up in Jackson Wyoming.
If you are going to hike the back country. First thing to get is Bear Spray.
Make noise so that the bear can hear you. Some people put small bells on their shoes. You do not want to suprise a bear.
Like listed above, you do not want to come across a Bear Cub. Moma will be close by. You better leave the area as fast as
you can or you'll end up on the news. Grizzlies can run at speeds of up to 35 mph or faster. How Fast Can a Grizzly Bear Run? Check this out: Enjoy your stay in Jackson Wyoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zptCXYxces

Old 05-18-2014, 05:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
#1 - It is safe to hike around JH but do some due diligence about meeting up with a griz. Personally I feel bear spray just pisses them off. There are buffalo grazing mostly in the flatlands of GTNP. Definately observe from a safe distance. More people are killed in Jellystone by buffalo than any other animal.

#2 - there are occasional power outages just like most every other place in the country.

#3 - when I was living in Jackson one of the Rocky movies was filmed there, the one with the Russian boxer. They put up signage at the JH Airport so it looked like it was in Russia and took great care to not put the Tetons in any shots. As far as I can remember they all left after the filming but perhaps a few stayed behind

#6 - as mentioned the scenic section of the Snake in GTNP is pretty placid except in the spring or after a big rain. There are many hazards in the river tho, people drown almost every year in this section. Take a guided trip first before you venture on your own. Barker-Ewing is a great company to use. Lots of great paddling lakes in YNP...Lewis Lake was a fav, String Lake, Jackson Lake and Jenny Lake are great to paddle in GTNP. Keep in mind the water is cold all summer long. String Lake is small and shallow so that has the warmest water

Jackson is a zoo in the summer, the main reason I returned to Vermont after 23 years in Jackson and Hoback Junction but it's easy to get away and enjoy the forest outside the two parks. We thought of the parks as fly paper which keep the throngs of tourists in one place. The majority of the parks visitors barely get out of their cars so even in the parks it's easy to find solitide and great hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming