Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Get a friend to stay with in Riverton (for snow days, and back-to-back shifts)

Live in Lander (and enjoy it). YMMV, so try them both for awhile.

I like to find an older couple with a spare room / basement apartment.

They enjoy your company and have rich stories to share and great friends to meet and learn about. They will be a big help to get engaged in both communities. I find them through Senior services, meals-on-wheels' churches, reading and garden clubs, library and museum / historical society, and Hospital auxiliary!! . They can really be quite fun! We share chores and I take them on errands and pick up groceries / meds / shopping. Works for me, and It is safe and great for single gals, (and guys that are finally over the Party life)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
Do not sign a lease until you know for sure that the position is, in fact, your dream job. FYI There is a significant amount of turnover in nursing jobs in this area - I recently heard of a nurse who did so and then, 2 weeks into the job, she was told that she "was not the right fit for the job." I would try to find a roommate situation or there are motels that rent by the week/month. There is a Facebook page called Fremont area rent/lease (or something like that) that you might check out but it is mostly people looking for rentals.

And BTW there are a lot of people that commute between Lander and Riverton daily for work/school.

Last edited by rya700; 05-22-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Buy a handgun for sure. You don't need a permit or anything so it's pretty easy. Also buy a truck, you will find yourself needing one living in WY.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Buy a handgun for sure. You don't need a permit or anything so it's pretty easy. Also buy a truck, you will find yourself needing one living in WY.
Not everyone in Wyoming owns a handgun and they do fine. It is a personal choice. As far as owning a truck, it is not necessary. I know a large number of people all over the state who do just fine with front wheel drive or all wheel drive cars. Please don't listen to everything you read on C-D. Get advice from several people who have lived here their whole lives!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
I never had either when I lived in Wyoming and made it. Personally I'd go for bear spray and a snake bite kit for times of hiking. oh and always have a bottle of water or two, and jumper cables.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
Not everyone in Wyoming owns a handgun and they do fine. It is a personal choice. As far as owning a truck, it is not necessary. I know a large number of people all over the state who do just fine with front wheel drive or all wheel drive cars. Please don't listen to everything you read on C-D. Get advice from several people who have lived here their whole lives!
I am a Wyoming native myself, big boy. Don't get your panties in a wad over friendly suggestions.

The handgun thing was not to be taken 100% seriously.

As for a truck, it is really helpful. Nothing beats a truck for outdoor activities like camping, hunting, etc. It also has a ton of utility for any homeowner. I can't count how many times my truck has come in handy hauling things to the dump, picking up/dropping off appliances/furniture and other chores.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I am a Wyoming native myself, big boy. Don't get your panties in a wad over friendly suggestions.
Honestly, this response seems anything but "friendly."

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Honestly, this response seems anything but "friendly."
I mean it to be. It was a response to this:

"Please don't listen to everything you read on C-D. Get advice from several people who have lived here their whole lives!"

Which was not very respectful.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I'd have said the same thing as Georgia but decided to let it pass. When I first read your post (no disrespect intended), I thought you must be a crackpot. I think it was 1973 or 74 when National Geographic came to Gillette to do a big lead story on "Boomtown USA". They handled the pickup trucks and guns tag by writing (paraphrased), "The sports car for Gillette's youth is in the form of a 4x4 pickup truck with a gun rack in the back window and a spittoon on the floorboard."

I've been in Gillette for 43 years (today!). The first 15 years were without a pickup. (Sold one just before moving here.) Several years were without a 4x4. I haven't owned a gun (other than a pellet gun) in nearly 20 years. For most people in Wyoming, guns and trucks are not necessary. You may have been joking (about the gun?), but there was nothing in your post to suggest that. The OP came to this board looking for good information about Wyoming. If someone posts mis-information (you in this case), I applaud Georgia (or whomever) for posting 'the rest of the story.' Guns and trucks may be very important to you and many others around the state, but the majority certainly do not NEED either.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 PM

Hey, live and let live man. Just trying giving friendly advice, after all that is the purpose of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming