Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times

Advertisements

Up red grade over the weekend. Fairly dry until about Twin Lakes area. Water still running high but clear. No fishing got done, but it was the break in for the new 2014 4Runner. Got it quite muddy at Twin Lakes. Did not tear up any part of the road though as once the mud was observed turned around and headed back down. Looks to be next weekend for flyfishing if the weather holds this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 AM

OK time to fish.......went up Saturday 6/14..... On the way up mountain alot of fog and spitting snow. temp about 36*....Once on top blue skies and sunshine, but still cold at about 40*. first place drove to Woodchuck Pass road. Water quite high and kinda copper/red colored. #16 Elk hair caddis...hooked 2 cutthroat in the 10" range. Fished about 2 hours here, than lunch over at Dead Swede campground. After lunch on over to FS 15. Made it to Lake creek after going thru a couple of drifts in the road. Fished lake creek and dad caught a 15" fat cutthroat. Water still quite high but running clear. The ridge above Lake Creek appears to have about 20 ft of snow, football field wide by about a mile or so. On the way out fished Fools Creek. Nothing here. It did cloud up and snow on us on the way out and down the mountain. Stay tuned as I did take the camera, but have yet to pull the pictures for posting. Flowers are in the beginning stages high up, but all is getting green and quite beautiful. Ahh....the season has started.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Still have yet to pull pictures of the camera, but have several more trips under the vest. Last weekend went to Duncan Lake in the Big Horns. Dad caught and kept 5 really nice 14" cutts. I caught 2 tiny brooks. Not a loss for the day though as we observed a small group of Elk on the old Taylor gold mine road off of Black Mountain Rd. Maybe EH can help me out but it seems to me in the early 80's this road was open all the way down to Beckton Hall Rd. Gated now!!!!!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Still have yet to pull pictures of the camera, but have several more trips under the vest. Last weekend went to Duncan Lake in the Big Horns. Dad caught and kept 5 really nice 14" cutts. I caught 2 tiny brooks. Not a loss for the day though as we observed a small group of Elk on the old Taylor gold mine road off of Black Mountain Rd. Maybe EH can help me out but it seems to me in the early 80's this road was open all the way down to Beckton Hall Rd. Gated now!!!!!
Yes, it was open back in the early 70's when I hunted that area. Then in 74 I did a short stint in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club until 1992 and when I come home it was gated. Beautiful area!!!

I haven't been up on top this year.... yet. 3 surgerys between 9 June and 9 July, four more surgery's scheduled by January 2015, so for the first time in a lot of years, I may not make it up there until spring.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-18-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM

Anyone here ever fish Clarks Fork over by Cody? I do know that there are 3 sections and the middle section is not accessible other than by kayak, so this leaves the upper and lower sections. Planning a trip in Sept. when the water is low.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Looked for a place to post this and thought this was the best place, short of starting a new thread.

I live between Ranchester and Dayton, right along the Tongue River. I fish it pretty regular. I fish it for trout, fresh trout. By that, I mean that when I want fresh trout for supper, I grab two worms and go catch two trout and cook em up for supper. Without fail. The trout are there and in the last 6 years, I have been skunked about twice. So when I want trout, I get em. In that 6 years, I have caught browns and rainbow every time. Well, every time except I have caught 2 suckers. Not a bad average.

We have 9 rv spaces we rent out, so I am always happy to take the guests down and show them where to fish and how. When I do that, I don't even take my stuff, I simply go down and advise/help them. I enjoy watching them.

Locals all know that acme ponds have bass and catfish. For years, the state record bass came out of Acme Pond #2. Acme ponds are 5 miles East of me, down river. Yesterday, I saw something that really surprised me. If I hadn't seen it myself, I would not have believed it. The person in rv #4 was fishing, catch and release. She had caught 3 trout in about 20 minutes (right here on the place) and the caught a bass. It really surprised us. Wasn't 5 minutes later and she caught a good sized catfish. She was fishing with nothing but night crawlwers and a #6 hook.

Now she's got me excited. I could get by with a mess of catfish. hahahaha

Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Looked for a place to post this and thought this was the best place, short of starting a new thread.

I live between Ranchester and Dayton, right along the Tongue River. I fish it pretty regular. I fish it for trout, fresh trout. By that, I mean that when I want fresh trout for supper, I grab two worms and go catch two trout and cook em up for supper. Without fail. The trout are there and in the last 6 years, I have been skunked about twice. So when I want trout, I get em. In that 6 years, I have caught browns and rainbow every time. Well, every time except I have caught 2 suckers. Not a bad average.

We have 9 rv spaces we rent out, so I am always happy to take the guests down and show them where to fish and how. When I do that, I don't even take my stuff, I simply go down and advise/help them. I enjoy watching them.

Locals all know that acme ponds have bass and catfish. For years, the state record bass came out of Acme Pond #2. Acme ponds are 5 miles East of me, down river. Yesterday, I saw something that really surprised me. If I hadn't seen it myself, I would not have believed it. The person in rv #4 was fishing, catch and release. She had caught 3 trout in about 20 minutes (right here on the place) and the caught a bass. It really surprised us. Wasn't 5 minutes later and she caught a good sized catfish. She was fishing with nothing but night crawlwers and a #6 hook.

Now she's got me excited. I could get by with a mess of catfish. hahahaha
Sounds like a good fishing along the Tongue River by your place EH.
Sounds like the trout like the worms.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,244 times
Now I really want to stay in one of your RV spots!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Although it was the wrong time of day, I was grayced with a visit from my daughter and granddaughter who came out to do a little fishing about 10am. Worms and hooks we still caught a couple. I caught a 18 inch brown and my daughter caught one about an inch shorter. Grand daughter (6 yr old) loves fetching the worms for us, she gets a big kick out is the way they wiggle in her hand. Catch and release today. With the ease of catching out here, I only keep a couple if its near supper time and I am ready to throw them on a hot cast iron skillet, or in some tin foil with lemon, spices, and onion on the bar-b-q.

Fishing is always good, sometimes catching fish is also good.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming