U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 PM

231 posts, read 686,882 times

Advertisements

Well, Wyoming has been voted the best state in which to retire (mostly for financial reasons) several times. So regardless of the political bent of the state, Wyoming has that going for it for retirees.

I moved to Wyoming from incredibly conservative rural Pennsylvania (aka "Pennsyltucky") and I would say from what I've seen that calling Wyoming conservative is not as true as just calling it libertarian. There are a mix of liberal people who live here (and some of whom have been here a long time) and conservatives, but mostly it's just "don't bother me and I won't bother you and we'll all get along just fine." Which I find more refreshing than the ultra conservative states' mentality of "be conservative in the way we are conservative or be ostracized." I consider myself a middle-of-the-roader who just wants national politics to keep its ugly head out of my day-to-day life, and for the most part I found that in Wyoming.

I feel it has to do somewhat with a "pioneer" attitude that still pervades the state. The people who live here, excepting a small minority of "Locals" (aka people whose great-great-grandparents founded a homestead in the state), have migrated from all over the country and even the world, not for the purpose of bringing their old ideas with them and changing Wyoming to fit those, but rather ESCAPING the ideas and people from where the used to be or of just starting a new life.

Every so often I get one person from the extreme left or extreme right trying to cram their views down my and others' throats, but those kind of people tend to be the oddity out here, in my experience so far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM

8,410 posts, read 10,121,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovepdx View Post
After doing a lot of research, I have decided on retiring in Wyoming. I want to visit over the next few years to see where I want to settle - but I'm thinking it will probably be in the Sheridan area. I currently live in Oregon, and have watched as our state was infiltrated and ruined by liberal Southern Californians imported to work at the big corporations that came into Portland (Nike, Intel, etc.) and I have a fear that the same thing will happen in Wyoming. I know you have one liberal county (Teton), but my question is how dedicated are people in the state to stopping a liberal invasion? I have been reading through these forums, and see an awful lot of Southern Californians talking about relocating to Wyoming, and it concerns me a little bit.
Wyoming is a pretty live and let live place. Most of the Californians I've met in Wyoming are fairly conservative and are leaving California for the high cost of living and to be somewhere more conservative. Most seem to want to blend in.

Teton County may be liberal compared to the rest of Wyoming but it's no Berkeley and there is lots of red territory not too far away. In my experience in Montana, it seemed that the southern Californians that you are talking about tended to relocate to the pretty areas of the state. I'm not sure if it's the same way in the more scenic areas of Wyoming or not. I have no idea what the situation is like in Sheridan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming