Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,168,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Fire has been known to destroy buildings; millions of animals from mice to moose die in drought and fires. Have you ever seen and smelled smoke from a fire two hundred miles away? Have you ever seen hardpan that won't allow water to penetrate when rain finally comes because it's like cement? Even the sagebrush die.

Actually yes, I have seen floods and smelled smoke from long range fires. Still doesn't stop me from having empathy for those fighting the elements. The Red River near here floods yearly, and I have lived out west where you can see/smell the wildfires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,952,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's all in a person's perspective. The other day I was on the way back from town when that 75 mph wind hit. We went from calm, to a wall of wind, and it put me in the ditch. So do I think 75 is strong? Sure is when it hits like that. I turned around and went back into town. As I was going past the Sinclair station, somebody's pickup topper came tumbling across the road. I jumped on the binders and it passed within 10 feet of me. Keep in mind, I was on my 4 wheeler. It uprooted several big pine trees in the entrance to the VA. Blew down some 100 year old trees. Couple semi's wound up upside down in the ditch.

The thing is, I live in Ranchester, and just because it is in Wyoming, doesn't mean that I should expect wind like that. I don't live in Clark, and if I did, I would expect wind, but not here. We just don't get winds like that, ever. There are signs down, uprooted the concrete posts in the ground. Those signs were there for 20+ years and they held fine.

NOAA/NWS called me a bit ago and wanted to lift the Flood warning. I recommended that they keep it in place. One neighbor has 80 acres where he keeps his horses. The horses have about 3 acres to play on, the rest is under water. The city dump truck is setting in the city parking lot, frame deep in water. Roads around here are baracaded because water is running over the road. Our park has several big, trees laying on their sides. When you flood the park for 5 or 6 days, with 4 ft of water, then the wind hits like that, they tend to lay down. If the water goes down enough to open those roads, then I'll call them up and recommend they pull the flood warning. Like I said in Scott's reply, we're currently under Severe Thunderstorm Watch. Sky is black to the East of me. Radar shows severe thunderstorm West of us, and now East of us is another. As I was typing the last sentence, my alert radio went off, changed to a warning for my location. Hail up to 2 inches has been observed, high winds. We don't need it right now. Now the Radio (FM) is going off with the weather alert.
Very sorry to hear about the flooding there, and even more sorry to see there is a 60% chance of more rain tomorrow. Please relocate to someplace safe. Our thoughts are with you.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,952,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Drought problems here are far worse than flooding. I am aware that fire is a natural event, part of Wyoming ecology, but fires cause far more interruptions to our economic lives than minor flooding.

I noticed one poster's thinking a 75 mph wind is a cause for worry. I know that I had several days this past winter and spring of winds higher than that; Clark exceeded 100 mph. Big deal; it's Wyoming.
Your lack of empathy is astounding. It is no wonder the only friends you have are your pets that rely on you to feed them.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 AM

3,645 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Have the canoe ready , on the lighter side at least you don't have to listen for banjos

Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
Yesterday, a neighbor (elderly) was trying to back under his boat hitch. He wants to get his boat ready for summer and wanted to move it to a dryer spot. Boat trailer was in about 6 inches of water. I was headed out on my 4 wheeler so I scooted across and directed him back so he could hook up. That's when the fun began.

I said, "Sonny, what are you doing?"
He said, "Trying to move the boat to someplace out of the water."
I said, "I thought that's why you bought a boat, was to put it in the water. Are you afraid of it getting wet?"
I had him laughing for a bit. He simply wants to move it so he can get it ready, and not have to wade around in the water doing it.

I am safe enough here. My cabin is on 38 inch stilts, so I'm not going anywhere. The sandbags have the water held back and even with no sandbags, I'd be walking in about 6 inches of water.

Today, the water level is way down. Can actually see dirt and rock in the corral. Another foot lower and we'd actually see the river banks and be able to tell where it was.

Here is the major sandbag row. You can see the water is way down. It peaks at 7 and this was taken about 6:30.

This picture you can see our lone willow tree. The tree is on the bank of the river, this side of the willow tree is the corral. The grass is even sticking out of the water there by the fence post.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,168,435 times
Did you have the sand and bags delivered or was this part of a county effort? I know every year in Fargo they have sand bag groups. We've had a bit of excess rain here too.
Attached Thumbnails
Flooding along the Tongue River-floodff.jpg  

Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,241,880 times
Glad to see the water is way down from yesterday. Hopefully a couple more days without a down pour, water will just be in the river. Then all you have watch out for is the mosquitos!

Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Did you have the sand and bags delivered or was this part of a county effort? I know every year in Fargo they have sand bag groups. We've had a bit of excess rain here too.
The town brought in a single, 5 yard load of sand and put it in the city lot. Two days later, we had depleted that pile and the lot was standing 4 ft deep in water. I went to City Hall and raised hell about are they bringing more sand. After a short bit of coaxing, I told them that we were bagging and nobody else was, so dump new sand at my place. They brought in 15 yards of sand and over 1000 empty bags. The sand pile you see is about 50 ft south of my cabin.

Nobody else was bagging, so I figure if we was going to bag, just tell people where we were and they could come here. A couple times people pulled up and was going to take bags off our row, I had to stop them and explain that that row of bags is holding water, see wet on that side. If you want bags of sand, get your happy A$$ over there and fill some bags. One guy got huffy and left. He went to the city and they told him the same thing, "YOu gotta fill your own bags". He came back and filled 5 bags and left. Another guy came over and helped fill bags for about 30 minutes and he took about 20 bags with him. We had an elderly couple pull up, we fill bags and put them in their trunk for them. They made 3 trips and never got out of their car. But that first guy was about 40 years old, looked healthy. I mean, I got a busted foot in a brace and I was bagging. Damned if I'll give bags to him. hahahaha

Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM

The river is down considerably.

Yesterday, Tom, the senior Met up in Billings called me and asked if I thought he could pull the Flood Warning for the Tongue River. I gave him a thumbs up. The only two places still flooded were me and the park. At my location, the River was down low enough that we could actually see the banks in a couple spots.

Today, there is about 2 ft of river bank showing, so everything is finally draining off, and starting to dry out.

I had to go to town today and get a new brace for my foot/leg. Filling sandbags while standing in water just wore out the other brace. The rubber pad on the bottom let go, the glue didn't hold, so I had duct taped it on. hahaha I was at the doctors getting a new one and the nurse said, "You are not supposed to be on that foot, how'd you get it wet and ruin it?" I told her. She said, "You should have gotten somebody else to do that." I said, "Sorry, I looked and didn't see you standing in line." She went and got me a new brace and didn't say anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming