Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,802 times

Advertisements

EH i get news feeds from Sheridan Media. Was wondering how you feel about the penny tax. The optional one-cent sales tax is up for renewal this year and the first order at hand Thursday was to decipher if all parties involved wanted to move forward with the renewal process.

News | SheridanMedia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 06:09 AM

322 posts, read 587,894 times
The local government has done wonderful things with the penny that they take with government’s ability to use the threat of force [violence] as their modus operandi.

A benevolent dictator, however benevolent, is still a dictator.

Every wonderful thing that Sheridan has done with the penny tax could have been done with private fundraising efforts, if, in fact, “the people” wanted them done.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times
Good Morning,

I agree Wm Jas. What we have is the makings of either conflict of interest or true political corruption going on at the city level of administration. How in the world can the citizenry of Sheridan not see this going on? I think what we have is apathy with the thought process of "oh well we could have worse". Hopefully when this gets "played out" these politicians will get thier "karma".

Old 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I call it the "Pet Project Tax".

Instead of planners using their head, instead they "Oh, let's use the penny tax" instead of trying to balance the budget and plan ahead.

Then, they have the audacity to put up signs saying, "Hey, you, you dumb #$%^&@!, look at this that we spent your money on, isn't it purdy?"

Too many California Yuppys at the ballot box. They want it purdy when they come up to spend their 4 weeks so they can claim residency.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times
ya...its been nice all winter with them plowing the snow on the path project....seems it gets plowed before the streets so that the "yuppies" have a place to run in the mornings.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
we voted the 5th cent down a few years ago , cities and county complained and campaigned , got a special election and got it passed.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I call it the "Pet Project Tax".

Instead of planners using their head, instead they "Oh, let's use the penny tax" instead of trying to balance the budget and plan ahead.

Then, they have the audacity to put up signs saying, "Hey, you, you dumb #$%^&@!, look at this that we spent your money on, isn't it purdy?"

Too many California Yuppys at the ballot box. They want it purdy when they come up to spend their 4 weeks so they can claim residency.
Thats what i was wondering. Seems like the every time the Govt wants something and cannot budget for it, that the people do not. They ram something else through with a different name like a penny tax to get the extra money for there projects.
I thought you wouldn't be a resident of Sheridan and Wyoming until one year of Continuous living in the city or town? Is there something else for temp residents?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Thats what i was wondering. Seems like the every time the Govt wants something and cannot budget for it, that the people do not. They ram something else through with a different name like a penny tax to get the extra money for there projects.
I thought you wouldn't be a resident of Sheridan and Wyoming until one year of Continuous living in the city or town? Is there something else for temp residents?
Buy a home, get a drivers license, register to vote, and then take off. Nobody is going to come around checking door to door to make sure you actually occupy the dwelling. Wyoming is a live and let live state and sometimes it goes a little too far. Neighbors never check to see if you vote or not, they just notice that you're not around very much.

Based on another thread, one day I drove around this little town I live next to. I counted 68 out of state license plates on vehicles parked at homes. Well, today I drove around and looked again. They're still there. Really think anybody is going to do or say anything?

You are correct. In order to get a fishing license, you must be a resident for 1 year. Again, who's going to actually check that, unless you get stopped for something by Law Enforcement?

I like to tell people that we use the Badger system here. You move in next to me and I'm going to badger the hell out of you, asking you when your going to get Wyoming tags on that rig in the driveway.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Thanks EH. I plan to get my Wyoming tags as soon as i can. I like to blend in fast.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:00 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Note to self: Scratch Sheridan off the list of possible retirement homes due to petty local politics and too much left coast influence. Local politicians forget who they work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming