U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,485,135 times

Advertisements

Do any of the Real Estate companies in the area list or know about land and cabins leased from the forest service for 20 years?
I've read and heard they are hard to come by. Is there any change?
Just investigating some other options available.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 04:50 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,413,726 times
In Sheridan, the real estate agencies only list and show lease properties which they have under contract to manage. So if ERA has a rental property, Summit won't know it or show it - and vice versa.

I am not aware of the NFS hiring any local realty companies to be rental management agencies, and I haven't seen any NFS properties on their websites. I can't imagine the government contracting out the management of anything for 20 years, including real estate. They handle their own land leases for cattle grazing around here.

To be sure, you might want to call the NFS office nearest to where you want to move and ask them.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:11 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,846,742 times
there no forest service cabin in the Star Valley area , there very few inholding either.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM

10,043 posts, read 12,090,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Do any of the Real Estate companies in the area list or know about land and cabins leased from the forest service for 20 years?
I've read and heard they are hard to come by. Is there any change?
Just investigating some other options available.
The land is leased; the cabins are privately owned by individuals. There are occasionally some listings in this area. The buyer purchases the land lease along with the buildings. When the Department of Agriculture bought more land to expand their national forest holdings they would initially lease back the land on a ninety-nine year lease if it had a residence whether year around or occasional. You can buy the buildings but not the land under them; you only buy the lease. It's similar to purchasing any building without the land. The problem here is that the government is the landlord.

There are many homes on Mt Lemmon near Tucson in this category; they're not necessarily cheap. It's still typical in NYC and other major cities worldwide for the owners of buildings, even the largest, to lease the underlying land. But in these cases the landlords are generally private. Their leases are renewable; government leases aren't normally renewed as many have learned to their sorrow.

It's best to know you'll die before the lease expires. Also consider that the lease has a declining value.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. Kinda figured that's the way it would be. Can't hurt to ask.
Happy Fathers day.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:29 AM

380 posts, read 841,722 times
SMALL CABIN AT HOFFMAN SUMMER HOMES South Fork Properties

This is in Idaho but still in Star Valley. there are a few houses here on Forest Service leases.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
SMALL CABIN AT HOFFMAN SUMMER HOMES South Fork Properties

This is in Idaho but still in Star Valley. there are a few houses here on Forest Service leases.
ok I will be corrected. used to the large private inholdings , like box y and deadman ranch, and the coal mine up big greys river, and the inholdings up stump creek .
there are bureau of reclamation leases or inholding around the reservoir too but that would be Idaho

Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 PM

I was thinking about Idaho. But found out Idaho state taxes, tax retired military pensions at 7.8% along with Federal pensions.
Wyoming does not. I do not pay state taxes on my pension in Hawaii. I already pay Federal taxes on my Military retired pension.
Appreciate the information i will keep the information for future reference. I might try to find some property and a small morgage to offset the Idaho state tax. Do like that area of Star Valley.
Thanks for your replies something to think about.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM

380 posts, read 841,722 times
I agree on the Idaho taxes.

The thing that would rule it out for me is access. Snowmobile only in the winter. If you can plow into a forest service cabin the cost would break you. I actually think that snow removal is the biggest bill that people moving to many parts of Wyoming don't consider before they get here. Many roads are private and long driveways and shoveling snow off of roofs, decks and walkways adds up quick.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM

pickup mounted snow plows are what have ruined Star Valley ,people built out in the middle of the 40 with the side roll instead of next to the county road or highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming