U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 PM

856 posts, read 1,170,047 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I live in SC, and we're starting to look at land in Wyoming to eventually build a 'semi-secluded' home where we can spend our later years.

I recently came across this location: Wyoming Ranches For Sale Near Laramie | The Brooks Co.

It looks gorgeous, and the fact that it's a couple hours from Denver is very appealing to us. But I wanted to see if anyone had any local knowledge of the place and the general area to share with us. The prices which start at around $80k, from an East Coast perspective seem very reasonable for 40 acre parcels of land, even the more expensive ones at $250k on the water. But trying to glean if that is indeed good value for the area is hard to do from a distance.

Anyone have any knowledge or insight into that part of Wyoming, the developer, and the property itself? I have been told that there are areas of Wyoming where folks from the coasts are somewhat resented for populating and sometimes overtaking the town ... Jackson Hole comes to mind. I'm not sure to whatever degree this is true or not but it'd be nice to know that we're not going to be pre-judged, for despite the greatest appeal for us is to have a significant buffer between us and other humans, we like friendly ones on the rare occasions we encounter them.

Any help is greatly appreciated ... we are planning a trip to see for ourselves and so I'm trying to figure put whether it's worth checking the place out.

Thanks a bunch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,413,205 times
Been there, done that. Run as fast as you can. In the other direction.

In 2010, my wife and I came out from the east coast to look at the exact same property. When we finally arrived there (elevation 8,000; population: no one), it took us about five seconds to determine this was a non-starter.

What that developer did was buy about a zillion acres of high plains scrub land, subdivide it into 40 acre parcels, and put together a slick marketing program. They make their money off people who fall in love with the ad and buy the property sight unseen.

Pros: The prong horn are fun to race alongside the dirt track that passes itself off as a main road (those suckers can really move!) and the prairie dogs are happy to meet a human who isn't shooting at it.

Those are the only two highlights.

The 'waterfront' property is either a lake or a reservoir or both - and it depends a lot on just how much precipitation Mother Nature has blessed them with that year. When we went, both were bone dry. They are also as far away from the paved road as they can be - about 20 minutes by car. Our guess was that several weeks per year, it would take a hearty 4x4 just to make it home.

Once you get to the main road, it's 25 miles to the nearest town. That's also where the ambulance is. (Look at my name - I think about things like that...) SO the ambulance has to go out 25 miles to get you, spend some time on the scene, and then take you 25 miles back to the hospital. That kinda' makes a heart attack a one-time event.

Did I mention the wind? Think constant, steady state winds at or above 15 mph.

Wyoming is a beautiful, rugged state. Lots of beautiful places to live. That place isn't one of them. We moved out here in 2012 and settled into our final home in 2013. As far from that property as we could go and still claim Wyoming residency.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:54 PM

856 posts, read 1,170,047 times
Thank you so much for the useful information.

I agree, there's a difference between secluded and barely accessible/desolate, from what you say Wild Horse Ranch is treading perilously close to the latter.

Truth is we don't really need 40 acres ... we just want a plot of land big enough so as not to see or hear our neighbors in a high plains setting but within reasonable reach to vital services.

Time to start looking elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 PM

64 posts, read 68,003 times
im in Columbia sc and im heading to Sheridan the best place I found after ext. looking are you still going to wyo. ?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:33 PM

can anyone give more info on this area, are there any alarm tech jobs there, or delivery jobs ? not pizza del, real jobs, got to be an alarm co. somewhere there

Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,413,205 times
There is probably an alarm company here, but not more than a couple. Crime rate here is very low - so alarms aren't very much in vogue. When we hear a car alarm go off out here, we know it's an out-of-towner who pushed the wrong button on their remotes. We don't even lock our cars, let alone set an alarm.

Deliver jobs are kinda' scare, too. UPS and FedEx have very, very low turnover. The larger companies hub out of Gillette, Billings and Casper. The railroad has a contract delivery company run train crews around, and they are often looking for drivers.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:34 PM

thanks r3, crime is low, how great to hear that, but every business has to have an alarm system surely they need to be serviced. ill try to look those co. up in phone book. as far as delivery, are there not any autozones or such in your town they always del. to fix it shops and dealerships. ive done electrical work, welding, landscaping, etc..., I have a travel agent license, but probably no travel co. in town. either way im sure ill find some kind of decent paying job there, im a very avid hiker, done appalacian trail from ga. to maine 2 times. cant wait to hike the bighorns. hope I can find a 1t bd.room apt. or mobile home close to town to rent. or maybe even rent a room from someone temp. as far as weather is there id rather be cold as hell than burn up with 110 degree temps all summer. you guys are very nice to help so many people who want to invade your area. LOL. hope to meet more people like you when I get there. I got to go to the mint first thing when I arrive. gonna miss the rodeo. bummer. the indian races look like great fun. the third Thursdays,do they go on all summer ?.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:25 PM

11,286 posts, read 46,207,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazzer View Post
thanks r3, crime is low, how great to hear that, but every business has to have an alarm system surely they need to be serviced.
Many businesses here do not have an alarm system.

Your post is confusing ... you've posted about moving to Sheridan and close to the Bighorn's, but this thread was about properties in the Laramie area.

Laramie has an active rental market due to it being the University town.

Sheridan, OTOH, has a much more limited rental marketplace. Craigslist had one Sheridan one bdr apartment in town, available 7 July, for $725/mo, but it did include utilities. Bet it goes fast ...

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-06-2014 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

yes I need to figure out how to post on the thread, must be a great town not to have many alarms. and I looked on craigs list only seen 1 apt available, Sheridan is where I want to be, sorry for the confusion. guess ill have to come see for myself Montana was my first choice, but after ive seen so many good coments from u guys and all there is to do in the area in summer and winter its right for what im looking for.im single no kids 53 and still full of life. since im new at this thread stuff ill get it right soon. thanks for your help. I have a lot of questions, I will ask later when I figure it out.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM

692 posts, read 1,560,697 times
If Mont. is first choice check out Red Lodge, Livingston, Bozeman (bit pricey).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or