U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,846,742 times

Advertisements

but I can do it in one day, and if I have to wait a day I can stay with my Sister down just out of SLC she actually less then 10 blocks from Gillette Diesel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,485,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
definitely cool - thus a better place to love

Laid back (I have never heard that term applied to Laramie)

1) I would do some serious research on school of choice. I researched automotive trade schools for a friend this yr. I was not impressed with findings. Not like 20 yrs ago, when a trade school was 1/4 - 1/3 College costs, and post-grad earnings similar to 4 yr grad. Costs have gone WAY up and earnings not kept pace.

2) do career research! Do you REALLY need / want to do a trade school (Seems 'for-profit trade schools have 'feeder stock' from HS and jr colleges... the perpetual Education thing...) I served an apprenticeship for a skilled trade, company payed 100% for my school, and I got fulltime wages while schooling and employment following. Apprenticeships are not fun, but a great way to learn WELL. Trade school (or any school) can turn out a degree / certificate, but the recipient may not able to deliver on the shop floor.

3) Do placement / longevity research. My renter was placed in a good job after Wyo-Tech, but it was not suited for him (training was not adequate). He has been bust'n engines, tires, and busting tail to pay off HIGH debt. He holds 3 jobs now. Advantage...is... no time for girlfriend = no need to spend ur dough on a doe. (More can go to cover debt.).

Think about it...
Be sure you have sweat in the trade a couple yrs BEFORE going to trade school, and that you are paying for it with 100% your dough, or a company is paying. You will get a lot more out of it.

Spend time / employment in your chosen specialty. You may find out you can't stand it, or can't do it. (Physical issues including allergies and stress.

Get some certs on the job, BEFORE you head to class.

No amount of Education can count as experience in a skilled trade. You gotta prove your mettle on the ground. After you get that first job... all the following are based on your WORK experience and referrals. If you don't hack it in that first job,,,, or choose to leave.. your trade school is pretty wasted.

This... prove mettle - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
You gotta make more money FOR your employer than what you cost him... or you are of NO VALUE. (to him). This is a tough pill to swallow. The standard shop rates do not have much 'slack-time', so you better be GOOD!.
YMMV
Really good point StealthRabbit

I drove F-750 work Plumbing supply trucks for a supply wholesaler in 1979 to 1980 in Los Angeles. My goal at the time was to find a job, (with one of the plumbing companies we sold supplies to) as a Laborer, and work up to apprenticeship. Ultimate goal becoming a pipe fitter. But got laid off during the building recession in California. Went in the Navy spent 21 years.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,212 posts, read 43,962,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Just getting a Bosch injection pump worked on is a trip for me ,,, some pickup and trucks with a Cummins use the same pump.
Possibly a Bosch VE, (early Cummins / 4BT's and a ZILLION VW Diesels.)

OP might want to become an IJ pump repair person (PLENTY of work from my experience). $12 for a seal kit and $300 labor + other parts... and finished in <2 hrs.
I have done a few myself, but certainly not a pro, nor fast.

The shops claim the 'calibrated pump test stands' are mighty expensive. I rigged up my metal Lathe for testing various pumps, but it is no 'calibration' stand. I meter into beakers and can do different RPM and pressures, so I'm getting a 'rough' setting. Good enough for my stuff.

Laramie is plenty nice for a couple yrs... But I would do university rather than Wyotech. The U is well respected in many majors and VERY cheap!!! as universities go....

Old 07-15-2014, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,479 times
So overall Wyoming is a laid back nice peaceful town? No need to worry

Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,846,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_freak View Post
yup Quick Draw Ed Cantrell died last week.
Quickdraw lawman Ed Cantrell dies

Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM

16,772 posts, read 43,260,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_freak View Post
Laramie is a college town, with its usual bit or rowdiness. Nothing special to worry about.

Only 1 murder on record between 2007 and 2012. //www.city-data.com/city/Laramie-Wyoming.html

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,479 times
Wow okay that makes me feel a lot better. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it (:

Old 07-20-2014, 11:58 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,203,313 times
I really don't know too much about the world of Diesel engines, but I can help you with Laramie.

Great town. Lots to do if you like outdoor activities. Medicine Bow and Veadewoo (probably spelled wrong) are fun.

The people are very nice and an interesting mix due to Uni students and faculty.

There is only one decent sized movie theater though, that's the bad part.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
Be aware that as a "Techer", you are the one who will be suspect in Laramie. I'm a graduate of Wyo Tech, and worked in Laramie for a few years afterwards. When I left to move back to Indiana, I put my Chevelle in storage at Rinker's (junkyard that also stores cars). Within a couple of months, it was stripped by Techers who broke in to the lot. They went to jail, and I got some of it back, but the car ended up being given to Rinker's as I had no way to tow it back (I was going to come back and drive it home).

When I went to Wyo Tech, I lived in Centennial. Lived there for 4 years, actually. It has 100 people, 5 bars (or did), and at the time had much lower rent than Laramie. That's one of the things to research before you go.... a place to live. Because of UW, apartments are hard to find.

If you're into mountain bikes/road bikes at all, Pedal House is the best bike shop in Laramie. After 11 years of working on cars and abusing my body, that's what I do now... I own a bike shop in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or