Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times

Advertisements

Are there any narrated history 'tours' related to Tom Horn in Cheyenne and Laramie that you can recommend? If so, are these 'tours' all year or certain times a year?

I'm interested in visiting the actual sites he was at such as ranches, jailhouses, the alleys he went through attempting to escape and of course the site of his hanging. Thanks is advance.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
There's a bit of information. Check with the museum as well. There's nothing organized, but you can visit the place of his supposed confession.

As you probably know, Tom Horn has been a controversial individual for a long time. I believe that he was innocent.

Tom Horn important sites Field Trip | WyoHistory.org

Tom Horn: Wyoming Enigma | WyoHistory.org

Welcome to the Wyoming State Museum

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I think the last time there was a "tour" for Tom Horn history was at the centennial for his hanging at the Laramie County Courthouse (19th & Carey Street). There's a plaque by the doorway on the South Side entrance to the old building portion.

Otherwise, there's a display at the Wyoming State Museum, a few blocks away. Self-guided, of course.

IIRC, there was a group of researchers and historians at the centennial who determined that Tom Horn was probably not guilty of Willie's murder. Based that on Tom Horn usually carrying a .30-.30 carbine and the medical examiner's autopsy report that the two gunshot wounds were more consistent with a larger caliber rifle. One, a 45-60 Gov't chambered was found that could have been used by a few people in the area. Tom Horn, unfortunately, had one of these cartridges in his pockets at the time of his arrest, so he was linked to the larger rifle caliber. The group also determined that it was likely that two different shooters were present due to the angles of the shots through the body.

There's a lot of discussion about the case on-line, so the info about who/where for your travels here is readily available.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
When Tom Horn made his abortive escape he grabbed a Luger pistol that was in the jailer's office. However, he did not know how to manipulate the safety. They recaptured him without incident.

It seems odd that he wasn't familiar with the new automatic pistols of the day. Mausers, Brownings, Colts, and several lesser known designs had made their way west in fair numbers by that time. The Luger safety was mounted at the rear of the frame as were those of the other pistols. I would have assumed that Tom Horn would have been not only interested but would probably have had some shooting experience with them.

The cone hammer Mausers, all of which were made before 1899, included models with twenty shot magazines, a powerful cartridge option, the 9mm Mauser Export (equivalent to a .357 magnum), and the very handy detachable shoulder stock-holster combination. Most were made in 7.63 Mauser with a ten round magazine; these were quite effective. A man in Tom Horn's profession could have made good use of either.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

IIRC, there was a group of researchers and historians at the centennial who determined that Tom Horn was probably not guilty of Willie's murder.
I believe the Miller's were behind the murder of Willie Nickell. The Miller family and Nickell family (neighbors) didn't like each other. They had a long lasting feud. The families constantly quarreled with each other and they threatened each other.

Also, Tom Horn's attorneys did a terrible job during the trial. They allowed Tom Horn to go to the stand. Horn was awful in answering the prosecution's questions. He came out as being very arrogant and a jerk. He basically spoke too much. Horn's attorneys did not object to questions and statements from the prosecution that should have been objected to. Horn's attorneys did not mention his contributions as an Army scout that led to Geronimo's capture to attempt to give a positive characterization of Horn. The newspapers did a fine job of painting Horn as a very bad man and many people had a soft spot for rustlers.

IMO Horn was set-up by the prosecution, the cattle ranchers, his OWN attorneys and especially the infamous Joe LeFors. LeFors was the most damaging for Horn by setting up Horn with his alleged drunken confession while a hidden stenographer recorded the conversation in another room. LOL.

Society and the economy was changing and this was a perfect opportunity to get rid of Horn. Fascinating story.

-Cheers.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:16 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Are there any narrated history 'tours' related to Tom Horn in Cheyenne and Laramie that you can recommend? If so, are these 'tours' all year or certain times a year?

I'm interested in visiting the actual sites he was at such as ranches, jailhouses, the alleys he went through attempting to escape and of course the site of his hanging. Thanks is advance.

-Cheers.
If you go to the Wyoming at Home store in downtown Cheyenne, on Lincolnway (near the train depot), there is a plaque on the wall you can read from the sidewalk. The store is the original location of the saloon where Tom Horn got drunk and 'confessed' to the murder (in the bay window room just above the plaque.). Cool place.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
MountainBiking, nice to meet a kindred spirit! I've been obsessing about Tom Horn for years.

In 2005 there was a conference on Tom Horn in Buffalo. I'd say 90 percent of the invited speakers maintained that he was framed. There's been an overwhelming change in the perception of his character, and Chip Carlson (Blood on the Moon, and other books) deserves a lot of credit for that. So does Steve McQueen!

I had the privilege of talking with Chip at the conference, and asked about tours of the Iron Mountain Ranch, the Nickells ranch site. Chip said that he'd taken people there occasionally, with the permission of the owners of the ranch (because it is on private property), but my impression was that they weren't really open to Chip bringing more visitors in. I was really, really fishing for an invitation--no go! If there's ever a revival of the Tom Horn Kick & Growl Meetings (which I never did get to attend), I'm sure somebody would arrange for a tour, and I'd be the first to sign up!

I'm also convinced Willie was shot by the Millers. And tragically, Glendolene Kimmell, the school marm Tom knew and may have been involved with, may have been one of the factors in his conviction, in addition to a shoddy defense lawyer, cowardly ranch bosses, a devious LeFors, and a whole lot of bad luck: She gave an early affidavit that gave the Millers an alibi, because she was their tenant and somehow felt obliged to, I guess. Or maybe threatened, who knows. She seems to have realized later on that she had really messed up--what a horrible realization, if the story is true that she was in love with Tom. Her statement certainly reads that way. (It's been a few years since I read up on the events, but that's according to my recollection.)

The Jim Gatchell Museum in Buffalo has a Tom Horn exhibit. It's a great museum of local western history, really worth a visit. But they will ask you to check your guns at the door. I carried my cellphone in a vintage gun rig at the time, and they asked me to please check my weapon at the counter. They were surprised to see it was just a phone!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Did anyone watch the American Heroes Channel (formerly The Military Channel) on Sunday? They ran an all-new series, "The Gunslingers," and one of the one-hour episodes was about Tom Horn. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. They had found an actor who was a dead ringer for Tom, and Chip Carlson himself was a commentator, but otherwise it was less in-depth than I'd hoped for, and the overall opinion of the producers was obviously that Tom was guilty . Hadn't anybody actually read Chip's book? Still, there were some valid remarks by historians about how Tom was ill suited for the 20th century, and (with a bit of hyperbole) how the Old West died with him. Perhaps best of all, they mentioned how Tom could have blabbed about his employers, the Cattlemen, but that was against his code of ethics of the West. That, to me, is what makes Tom such an interesting character.

They did spend time talking about his childhood (the story of his dog), his past as a scout and interpreter in the Apache wars, his work for the Pinkertons, and even his time with the Rough Riders. And a huge section about his undercover work in Colorado, but there was nothing about Glendolene Kimmell, nothing about his escape attempt, and nothing about the water-weight execution method. But I guess producers have to make choices.

It is worth watching, but if you believe Tom was not guilty of killing Willie, and was railroaded, then you'll be frustrated!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
read the Autobiography http://www.amazon.com/Government-Sco.../dp/0806110449

Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Did anyone watch the American Heroes Channel (formerly The Military Channel) on Sunday? They ran an all-new series, "The Gunslingers," and one of the one-hour episodes was about Tom Horn. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. They had found an actor who was a dead ringer for Tom, and Chip Carlson himself was a commentator, but otherwise it was less in-depth than I'd hoped for, and the overall opinion of the producers was obviously that Tom was guilty . Hadn't anybody actually read Chip's book? Still, there were some valid remarks by historians about how Tom was ill suited for the 20th century, and (with a bit of hyperbole) how the Old West died with him. Perhaps best of all, they mentioned how Tom could have blabbed about his employers, the Cattlemen, but that was against his code of ethics of the West. That, to me, is what makes Tom such an interesting character.

They did spend time talking about his childhood (the story of his dog), his past as a scout and interpreter in the Apache wars, his work for the Pinkertons, and even his time with the Rough Riders. And a huge section about his undercover work in Colorado, but there was nothing about Glendolene Kimmell, nothing about his escape attempt, and nothing about the water-weight execution method. But I guess producers have to make choices.

It is worth watching, but if you believe Tom was not guilty of killing Willie, and was railroaded, then you'll be frustrated!
Watched AHC and the Tom Horn story Sunday night out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming