Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 23,267 times

Advertisements

Just thought this might be a way for you residents to show outsiders like me some places that might not be part of the "tourist trail". You could name places, describe them, and/or include pictures. Who knows, you might mention a place that some locals didn't know about or have never visited.

If it's a dumb idea or if it's already been done, just ignore the thread. If I see that there aren't replies, I'll get the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
I live at the foot of the Big Horns so running up on top to do some 4 wheeling, have lunch on the trail and then set up the bar-b-q and catch some fish for supper. Makes for a long and very fulfilling day.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks Jody, really nice pictures, and I'm sure nice memories for you and your family. Yellowstone in winter looks great even though you said it's not a day trip.

ElkHunter, sounds great. Maybe when I come visit Sheridan/Buffalo/Ranchester we can do some fishin' and then some fish eatin' off the b-b-q.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Live View Post
Thanks Jody, really nice pictures, and I'm sure nice memories for you and your family. Yellowstone in winter looks great even though you said it's not a day trip.

ElkHunter, sounds great. Maybe when I come visit Sheridan/Buffalo/Ranchester we can do some fishin' and then some fish eatin' off the b-b-q.
Sounds good, look forward to it.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 PM

3,651 posts, read 3,787,843 times
When I was in college in Casper, a favorite day trip was down along the reservoirs (Alcova, Pathfinder, Cortez, etc.) to Saratoga for a burger at the Wolf Hotel. Then I'd cruise back up through Walcott Jct., and either go through Rock River and back to I-25 through Sybille Canyon and admire the big elk, or maybe go through Medicine Bow and Shirley Basin, or take a cut across from Rock River over the hills around Laramie Peak to I-25.

I also like going I-90 to US 14, down through Hyattville, and east over 16.

Any time spent in the Red Desert is good. Stop the car. Get out. Let the wind blow over ya. Listen.

I like to hit Hwy 16 early in the day, drop down through Crazy Woman Canyon, have lunch at the new(-ish) Busy Bee. I miss the old one, lots of good memories, but the new(-ish) folks do a good job.

Heck, I like fixing breakfast at the Orrin Jct. rest area and watching the sun come up.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Beartooth or 14a (Lovell to Dayton)

Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,698 times
We like to get up early, drive east/west/north/south for about 1/2 the day and then turn around and head home. Ya see no matter where you travel in the state of Wyoming, it is/will be your favorite drive. There is no other place in the lower 48 that is quite like Wyoming. It has been and will always be home to me. Just one mans opinion who fell in love with Wyoming when he was born.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM

Thanks branDcalf and StealthRabbit. I'll keep notes of the routes that you both mentioned, and any others that other folks might bring up. If things work out, maybe I can break in my brand new WY driver's license following one of your routes in the not too distant future!

eifjam, I hope that you always remember and appreciate the position that you're in. I'm pretty much the polar opposite. I was born, grew up, got a job, and got married in a state that I never cared all that much for and my opinion of it has gone downhill ever since, but with family, friends, and a good job I toughed it out. Fortunately for me, I'm now in a position that I can make some changes, which is why I'm planning to come to Wyoming and take a hard look at it as possibly being my new (and hopefully forever) home.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
I thought awhile about your thread ... and, in all candor ... couldn't come up with a favorite to the exclusion of other routes and travels throughout this state.

As one who frequently drives the entire state and flies over much of it in a small aircraft to numerous small towns only served by a GA airstrip ...

IMO, it's all good. There's natural beauty, sweeping vistas, gorgeous views everywhere in this state. Hot springs in diverse areas, wooded areas, plains, mountain ranges, lakes, streams, creeks, rivers, wide open spaces ....

One could observe that there's seasonal access concerns with many areas, but on an annual basis it just makes the time available to enjoy the places al the more valued.

Time2Live, if you've got the time to come visit and check it out .... it could very well be worth the effort.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-28-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming