Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,599 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Well, it looks like we will be moving up to the Lovell/Powell/Cody area. Yes, it's a large area, but my husband will be working in Lovell. Initially, we were looking at Cody, and while we like it and it's a good sized town, we wonder about the hour commute each way. We have that hour each day now, but it's in Houston traffic and not a country mile.

What can you tell me about Powell? Lovell? Cody? We have 4 kids, ages 12, 10, 7, and 3. My kids are pretty sports oriented, so communities that offer sports and rec are certainly a plus.

Adequate shopping, too....I am an online shopper for the most part (I hate to shop) and like to shop in bulk at Costco (I know the closest is in Billings, MT).

Good schools...we are in an "ok" district right now in TX.

Friendly atmosphere, close to church (we're Catholic), and hopefully close to fishing and hiking as well.

I'm counting on y'all to steer me right!

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM

We are really leaning towards Powell. From what I have read, it looks like a nice town for our family. I'm impressed with all of the youth sports available!

We will likely be up there by October; husband probably in September.

How are rentals? The company will pay for our rental for several months while we search for a home.

What else should we know about the area? Is Powell friendly towards outsiders?

Thanks!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-01-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Offer coming tomorrow! Powell or Lovell....opinions and information needed!

Hi Everyone!

The official offer comes tomorrow, and will be the beginning of our journey back to Wyoming. We previously lived in Laramie and foolishly moved back to TX. Our time in TX is up: we said goodbye to passed family members and welcomed a new daughter.

We are so happy to go back to Wyoming to raise our family. So, the hubs will work in Lovell. We are looking at Powell and Lovell. Cody is out. Too far and too touristy.
What are your thoughts on Powell and Lovell? We are a family of 6, with all children in sports or activities. I have a daughter that plays competitive volleyball (that might be difficult to find up there).

We just want a fine town to raise our family in and make a forever home.

Please tell me your thoughts. I've looked at the schools and from what I've seen, both districts are good and well rated. We'll be making a house finding trip in the next few weeks; my husband's company will set up housing for a few months.

Please and thank you!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 PM

123 posts, read 263,252 times
We just move to Powell 8 weeks ago from Illinois. Powell is a great town and in my opinion much better than Lovell.
We love living in Wyoming!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
We just move to Powell 8 weeks ago from Illinois. ...
I hope you get to enjoy 8 more weeks of SUMMER (16 weeks could be a record!)

I too prefer Powell. (For several reasons). I just fit better into an AG centric community and like to have a Jr College in town.

I hear you can no longer camp in the city park? That would be a bad thing for the town. (Maybe was abused by folks living in the park!) It is pretty nice !

Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
We just move to Powell 8 weeks ago from Illinois. Powell is a great town and in my opinion much better than Lovell.
That's so good to hear! I grew up in Illinois, in Gillespie. I still have family all over the state-Alton, Rock Island, Springfield, Carlinville, Chesterfield.

I think Powell sounds really nice...a good sized town for us.

Are the people generally friendly in Powell?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 AM

123 posts, read 263,252 times
That's so good to hear! I grew up in Illinois, in Gillespie. I still have family all over the state-Alton, Rock Island, Springfield, Carlinville, Chesterfield

I grew up in Moline, right next door to Rock Island....... Powell is a great town!
As far as tent camping....the sign is still there saying tent camping only! I have not seen anyone camping though!

I have been here since May 27th...there has not been a day without sunshine!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming