Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,804,910 times

Advertisements

I too like the advantages of shooting on public land. I do hope if you shoot cans, bowling pins, ect. Take whats left of them with you home. If you shoot bottles, dig a hole and bury the pieces, or take them with you. I got one of those target holders at walmart and thats what I kept behind the seat all the time. I case I got a few minutes to go shoot somewhere's.
I also had a membership a stuckenhoff in casper for many years. It too had advantages of shooting. But I did find that certain times of the year it got too full to enjoy a good afternoon shoot. And when the police had practice or shoot quailifing they would close down the whole range. For them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 81,338 times
Default Found a spot

I found a short range spot off of exit 335. Driving west on I-80, you just take the exit and follow the road on the right just over the cattle guard until you see public land signs.

And, no worries. I'm not so rude as to leave trash laying around like that.

Thanks all.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,804,910 times
I didn't mean to sound to accusing. But around casper there are two real good spots I liked to go. And as usual, some people will take full advantage. They take old appliances and tv's, ect. Out and throw in alot of bottles. Then shoot them and trash the spots. I have been on two cleanups. One at each spot. I didn't mind the day outside and exercise. But wonderded how many people that took the origional stuff to shoot up. Were there helping. I did get to report one pickup load of stuff being unloaded at the best spot. I was told they did get fined and with the digital camera photo's. It was a slam dunk.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,556,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I didn't mean to sound to accusing. But around casper there are two real good spots I liked to go. And as usual, some people will take full advantage. They take old appliances and tv's, ect. Out and throw in alot of bottles. Then shoot them and trash the spots. I have been on two cleanups. One at each spot. I didn't mind the day outside and exercise. But wonderded how many people that took the origional stuff to shoot up. Were there helping. I did get to report one pickup load of stuff being unloaded at the best spot. I was told they did get fined and with the digital camera photo's. It was a slam dunk.
I think people who take this stuff and leave it in these shooting areas are the biggest problem we have as shooters. If they didn't do so, we wouldn't all be painted with a broad brush as a bunch of yay-hoos that don't care about the outdoors. The fact is that most shooters do care a great deal about the outdoors, and it's the few who pollute our shooting areas that give the rest of us a bad name.

There are plenty of targets that can be taken to the range that are recyclable, or are easy to pick up at the end of the day. Personally, I like paper targets for all types of guns, as well as metal silhouette targets for my handguns. The metal targets I use are heavy enough that they aren't penetrated by the pistol rounds, so they can be used over and over again. They also make a "ding" sound so you can tell when you've hit your target. This is what is used in most Cowboy Action Shooting competitions, and it works very well. Another thing that can be used if care is taken are plastic bottles. They tend to stay in one piece, even though it's full of holes by the end of the day. They can easily be picked up and disposed of when the day is done. Everything that's taken to the range as a target should be picked up at the end of the day, or be completely biodegradable so as not to pollute the environment.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
Nov '12 update ... if you hadn't seen the anouncements already, the County Shooting Range is now open at the Archer Complex in Cheyenne. Available for yearly memberships or drop-in use, the indoor ranges/facilities are substantially completed and outdoor long distance ranges are close to completion ... some already in use for hunter sight-ins.

Since it opened a few months ago, the use levels have been higher than projected, which is very good news for the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming