Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 AM

64 posts, read 77,225 times

Advertisements

Do any of the restaurants in sheridan serves hot wings, or perhaps sports bars. And are they any good ?. I might open a wings and ale house when i arrive there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
I don't know if any restaurant in Sheridan now serves hot wings, and I don't head to sports bars.

But I do know that food service in Wyoming is dominated by Sysco and Shamrock Foods; ie, pre-pack institutionalized commercial food-like substances. Here in Cheyenne, there's the "Wing Place" with franchise quality mediocrity.

From that perspective, if you open up a place that serves real food, well crafted and prepared from fresh ingredients at reasonable price points, you'd have a killer business here. The marketplace is wide open for quality foodservice here.

IMO, almost anyplace you go in Wyoming to open up such a place, once you've done the promo work to get the clientele in your door the first time ... will be a good business opportunity. Just had a long visit yesterday from an executive chef and his backers wanting to open up a new restaurant in Wyoming (can't mention the town, he's concerned about somebody else using the concept) using as much local products as possible He's seeking locally produced/naturally raised beef, pork, poultry, bison, and lamb, using local harvest vegetables in season. It's a good concept and a viable venue for something like this to appear.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
Sheridan has many older buildings on the north end of town that would good for this type of business. These would require massive rehab. The downtown has many empty buildings, but this is tempered to the amount of rent the owners are asking!!! And than there is the liquor license for the ale!!! Hurdles yes but can be jumped. In Sheridan we have many resturants that are just mediocre. If you offer fresh chicken wings (bought local, cooked fresh, and not shipped from the food service trucks) and ale that is microbrew (bud on tap is not microbrew) you should do well. This would be an untapped market here in Sheridan. If the Mrs. and I want a decent meal we usually travel 30 miles down to Buffalo for steaks and such.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM

that's great to hear, I would only use fresh food. but, are there places close by to get fresh chicken, potatoes for chips ? that could present a problem if not Sysco would be a alternative especialy in winter. a local chicken farm would be dandy, but vegies would come from the market as much as possible. local beef is a given. as far as the buildings, not so good to invest bundles of money to fix up someones old building. I was hoping to find a closed bus. on main or something close in town. I will talk to the realator about this. are the local people into micro brews?. all the steaks will be marinated in a secret sauce, trust me you will love it. but it has to be a good cut of meat, I wont serve bad meat to my dog. got to be better than mediocre to make a name for a great restaurant. also is the north side in a good area where folks will want to come, I see yall have a lot of cars broken into in town, I check the Sheridan police arrest site all the time to keep track of things there, a lot of calls about dogs running loose and barking. LOL. the shelter must be full. must have an ordinance against it. ive heard from a lot of people about going to buffalo to get a meal worth the money. you ever had fried pickles? delish. thanks for the info. ill have even more questions soon. if you guys see a place that's clean and decent while your riding about town let me know. has to be in a good area.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
trailblazer ... not gonna' tell you your business, but ...

a free-range grass fed beef that has been finished all the way on grass (as opposed to a feed lot grain fed finish) has a unique flavor that IMO will not be enhanced by any "secret sauce marinade". You should be able to find such grass fed beef in the area, and can serve a quality product that you'd be proud without any gimmicks. Fact is, for us ... we have a hard time wanting to buy a steak at a restaurant because so much of what is available here is feedlot finished beef from out of the area and it NEEDS a marinade to give it flavor. Allow me to suggest that you should try some of the local beef produced here before deciding that a marinade is the answer to a good steak.

Poultry: there's a lot of prospective small flock raisers in the area that would most likely scale up production if there was a steady demand for their product. The bigger problem is finding a quality processor. There are a few WY state certified poultry processors, but the closest USDA processor that will accept outside produced birds is in Wellington, CO. We are poultry producers in the SE WY area (currently max'ed out for our capacity and workload), and just got notified of the latest FSIS poultry plant processing requirements (to be pro-active about salmonella and campylobacter) which are now coming on-line. Cheered on by the larger processors, it's gonna' adversely impact the small plants which don't have the sanitation control problems of the big boys. We've been selling out our production mostly to folk who buy multiples in a purchase because they remember what it was like to have quality free-range poultry when they were growing up. Do keep in mind that free-range natural (as opposed to purely organic standard) poultry is not cheap to produce. We've got over $6/bird invested in the cost of the chicks and processing costs before we even start feeding them, and we do look forward to making some profit when we sell a frozen bird in a USDA stamped cryovac bag. Otherwise, we'd just raise birds for our own consumption and I can process them myself.

As a trend-setter in the local restaurant marketplace, you might want to investigate the area vegetable and potato producers for their wares. During the winter, of course, stuff will have to be brought in ... but seasonally, you could be surprised at the variety and abundance of veggies that are available much closer to home. There's Farmer's Markets in the region that have a number of folk that could be worth your while to contact about supplying your restaurant.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 PM

that's very true not all the steaks will be marinated, it will be your choice to try it both options will be on the menu.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM

as for the chicken I only will need the wing portion, and the breast for sandwiches. im glad to get this info, from you locals it means a lot to me.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
To open a place with wings that don't come in a bag, frozen, you should! convert well. Sheridan is in the hurt locker for steaks. When the truck stop is the best place in town for steaks you kind of get the picture that we seriously lack in the stake depart!EMT. We used to have 3 or 4 really good places to eat steak and now we have none.

We have several good butcher shops that sell local beef and I highly recommend their operations. I buy from Valley meats and really like what I get. For poultry, there is an indoor operation out by Dayton that is doing pretty well. I can't vouch for their product because we grow our own out here. Lately we added a half dozen Guenny hens so looking forward to trying them out. Had a duck but one of the horses stepped on it so that ended our duck ranching. It was funny, a friend gave us the duck, not knowing if it was male or female. Then one day it layer an egg. We figured we would get a half dozen eggs and it would quit, but no, it thought it was a chicken. Every morning we turn the chickens out, free range and the duck went with them. Every morning we'd collect the eggs and the duck contributed just like the chickens. Every morning we had a duck egg for better than 6 months. Then one of the horses stepped on it and killed it.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
One of the big problems with so called resturants in Sheridan is the lack of knowledge in fixing/prepping/buying food. Recently the Mrs. and I went downtown to the new Cafe (old Sheridan Palace). I ordered the $12 hamburger thinking it would be hand made patties. Nope--frozen from Sysco type distribitor. This didn't even include fries which are another .99!! It is a shame that people have accepted mediocre in place of good food.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM

that's awful about the duck they have good tasting eggs. even worse... to pay 12 bucks for a burger in insane. and no side order is unforgivable. I would like to grind my own burgers. I think I would do very well with a new restaurant , you guys will eat for free, just to help me get the word out. I just cant get over that there are no places to get good food. it would seem someone could have a monopoly in a good restaurant. some of you retirees should get together and open one. im not a chef by far, but a darn good business minded person, have been in business for 17 years with my travel agency... seven seas travel and tours here in Columbia sc. and have eaten all over the world. my sister in law will be taking over my travel co. so I can move there. does the poultry co. deliver to customers?. and by the way I hope E.H. you are doing much better after your surgeries. are you able to go fly fishing yet?. I will need a place to hold at least 60-80 people to start with, and if all goes as well as I hope, there will be one in buffalo also to crash some of their business. LOL. are there any trout farms for fresh fish or am I to catch them myself for a weekly trout special?. ive been trying to use the webcams in town but they seem to be broke all the time. when I watched the parade online I saw a few closed bus. right on main st. are they still closed down?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming