Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

You can learn a lot about a place by studying the demographics information here //www.city-data.com/city/Laramie-Wyoming.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Hi, let me tell you about me. I am Bohiemian. Does that scare you? Should you shop where I do? How about rent an apartment in the same complex as me? You'd better be careful because I might have a party every couple months. I might swim in the pool.

That was totally in jest. You shouldn't have any problems, what so ever. I jest because, although you might have had problems elsewhere, you won't find the same problems here. We judge people on their ability to be self sustaining and not be dependent on the government. We like "neighbors" and dislike transients that require subsistence. We like people that will help is shovel snow, should we be laid up, or neighbors that will not argue when we shovel their walk. We could care less if you have purple hair, or braid your beard. are you neighbor material?

EH, I have noticed that. my next door neighbors are elderly folk and during the summer I would go over and mow their front and back yard without being asked. the lady of the home thanked me and told me that it was hard for them to be doing it much anymore. she wanted to pay me, but I refused any sort of payment, just trying to be friendly and respectful.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
EH, I have noticed that. my next door neighbors are elderly folk and during the summer I would go over and mow their front and back yard without being asked. the lady of the home thanked me and told me that it was hard for them to be doing it much anymore. she wanted to pay me, but I refused any sort of payment, just trying to be friendly and respectful.
That's the Wyoming I know. I blade driveways with my 4 wheeler? Last year I did 8, very big driveways, along with my on that is over 900 ft. I charged none of them. One lady insisted she had to pay me in some way, so every fall, after the first freeze, I go collect a fresh apple pie and 3 or 4 pints of canned beets. She's tickled to death that she can give back. When I was in town, while I was in the hospital from Aug 22 until January 28, I found out the 86 year old Portoricon woman next door, mowed my lawn every week and then shoveled snow off my deck, down my walk, and one parking place in my driveway, every time it snowed. She was worried that I would come home and have to do it myself when I was fresh out of the hospital.

That's the Wyoming I know.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's the Wyoming I know. I blade driveways with my 4 wheeler? Last year I did 8, very big driveways, along with my on that is over 900 ft. I charged none of them. One lady insisted she had to pay me in some way, so every fall, after the first freeze, I go collect a fresh apple pie and 3 or 4 pints of canned beets. She's tickled to death that she can give back. When I was in town, while I was in the hospital from Aug 22 until January 28, I found out the 86 year old Portoricon woman next door, mowed my lawn every week and then shoveled snow off my deck, down my walk, and one parking place in my driveway, every time it snowed. She was worried that I would come home and have to do it myself when I was fresh out of the hospital.

That's the Wyoming I know.

my daughters are planning on shoveling their driveway too this winter. I still don't know what to do about the ladies at church trying to set me up. it isn't like they will take no for an answer.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
... I still don't know what to do about the ladies at church trying to set me up. it isn't like they will take no for an answer.
You will not be able to convince "the ladies" you are content single... Enjoy their friendship and let them continue in their matchmaking quest. It is probably very fun and meaningful to them. And can be a source of many great meals and fun for you too. Small inconvenience for you, yet maintaining a friendship with them.

I too like to blade snow for others. I made a pile bigger than a bus at my neighbor's. It lasted a few months

Old 10-18-2014, 06:03 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You will not be able to convince "the ladies" you are content single... Enjoy their friendship and let them continue in their matchmaking quest. It is probably very fun and meaningful to them. And can be a source of many great meals and fun for you too. Small inconvenience for you, yet maintaining a friendship with them.

I too like to blade snow for others. I made a pile bigger than a bus at my neighbor's. It lasted a few months
I agree with SR.

Further, there is a strong chance the prospective women are no more interested in being "fixed up" than you are. But, widening your circle of acquaintances isn't a bad thing.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:40 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,229 times
Laramie is a great town...my daughters can't wait to go to UW-they love Laramie.

It's SUPER cold. No joke kind of cold. Your boogers will freeze. The wind is brutal. BUT, the people are nice. There are good restaurants---Lovejoy's, Altitude Steakhouse come to mind right away. The downtown is nice, and it's clean even though the snow can get slushy and dirty. There are lots of city parks and it's easily pedestrian.

We lived there years ago, but we're still very fond of it. I like Powell, where we are now, a lot.

The Snowies are beautiful and you're close to Ft. Collins. We used to go to FoCo for shopping and just for a change of pace, and a temperature change. It's easily 20 degrees warmer in FoCo than Laramie. The drive to Ft Collins is really nice, but go potty before you leave...there's no place to stop other than in Tie Siding, and they charge to use their toilet!

Woods Landing outside of Laramie is really pretty, too. I'd also say that Laramie is VERY safe. We felt safe there....but I got the feeling they didn't care for Texans too much. My advice? Get your license plates changed to Wyoming plates as soon as you can. Sadly, some people don't like Texans or Californians.

And be prepared for blinding snow....I remember Christmas 2009....total white out. It was beautiful but I wasn't going out in it.

Good luck with your decision. I would totally recommend a visit to Laramie in winter...I thought I was prepared and I wasn't AT ALL.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:30 AM

18 posts, read 44,003 times
Default Raised by the sea, love Laramie!

I grew up 1/4 mile from the beach in San Diego and spent my youth on the sand and in the ocean. I read about Wyoming in Mary O'Hara's Flicka books while I was growing up and always wanted to visit there. In my late 30s, we visited Laramie and didn't exactly fall in love at first sight. We lived in Northern Colorado for a couple of years and found ourselves visiting Laramie a lot--it really grew on us. Eventually we moved there and LOVED it. As much as I love body surfing in the ocean, summer horseback riding and winter x-c skiing bring me even more joy. The eclectic mix of people, of western heritage and university town, are things that really gelled with us.

As I've posted on other threads, sure the winter weather is harsh, but nowhere else have I arrived at an x-c trailhead on a subzero morning to find the parking lot full! Many Laramie folks celebrate the harsh weather, even cheering when Wyoming Public Radio lists Laramie as the coldest place in the state. People from CO's Front Range frequently escape to Laramie and Centennial to enjoy uncrowded access to beautiful mountains. There are now a couple of "real" Mexican restaurants: Almanza's is a 24-hour restaurant with a drive-through window that makes AWESOME carnitas and burritos. There are two Thai restaurants, three (or more) sushi restaurants, Korean food, lots of vegetarian options, and many, many burger and wing joints. Sensuous She is a lovely boutique in downtown Laramie for ladies' clothing--for years I thought it was only lingerie based on the window displays. Centennial, Laramie's mountain getaway 30 miles to the west, is funky, beautiful and like no place on earth. Live music and cultural events abound in Laramie.

I do NOT recommend living somewhere more than 5 miles out of town. High winds can blow over semis on a dry day, and when you add snow to the mix, deadly whiteouts are common. Commuting from Cheyenne, Centennial and Fort Collins would only work for the hardiest, most experienced of WY drivers, not to mention the huge gasoline expense of doing so on a daily basis. On the plus side of the climate, summers and falls are FABULOUS, and in the summer half the town leaves for summer vacation. The mountains and plains are yours to explore!

We have lived all over the country, and Laramie is our favorite place to live. Is Laramie for you? Who knows?

Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM

46 posts, read 45,313 times
For just a second I read the title as "Call girl might be relocating...". With all the oil field workers around NE WY...

Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublet View Post
For just a second I read the title as "Call girl might be relocating...". With all the oil field workers around NE WY...
You're not alone. Every time I see Cali girl's handle in bold print, that's the way I read it too. My eye's aren't what they used to be... but my mind is obviously still in the gutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming