Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:25 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Get over it and move on.

Just like gay people have the right to think what they want, why cannot others think what they want?? I don't need to get over anything.. I have the right to my beliefs just as you do...

If the people in Wyoming are against gay marriage as a whole, I don't see why they should be forced to be accepting, accommodating or even respecting their way of life. There is plenty of places in the country where gay people are treated better than heterosexuals and where a heterosexual can be out of place. Capitol Hill in Seattle and Castro distrct of San Francisco, e.g..

There is this one lesbian-run bar called Wild Roses in Capitol Hill and I have heard many non-gay men were discriminated against on multiple occasions for going there. I was told the bartenders on many occasions refused to serve men, especially guys on a date with their ladies there.

Since they are gay treating non-gays like this, it's acceptable right? Perhaps, people feel most comfortable being among their own and in a culture that is more reminiscent of their lifestyle?

Some religions are against marriage altogether.. Should we condemn them and force them to think differently since their morals and belief system may contradict our own? Just look at Shao Lin monks or Indian Sadhus for example.

BTW..
I want to thank you and the other guy for serving and give much respect for your service despite whatever disagreement we may have.. My father is also a Vietnam Veteran.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:40 PM

382 posts, read 936,990 times
You don't like gays send them off somewhere else. Hilter would have been all for that kind of thinking. I think you would be very surprised to know how many people in Wyoming are gay and are accepted important members of our communities.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Just like gay people have the right to think what they want, why cannot others think what they want?? I don't need to get over anything.. I have the right to my beliefs just as you do...

If the people in Wyoming are against gay marriage as a whole, I don't see why they should be forced to be accepting, accommodating or even respecting their way of life. There is plenty of places in the country where gay people are treated better than heterosexuals and where a heterosexual can be out of place. Capitol Hill in Seattle and Castro distrct of San Francisco, e.g..

There is this one lesbian-run bar called Wild Roses in Capitol Hill and I have heard many non-gay men were discriminated against on multiple occasions for going there. I was told the bartenders on many occasions refused to serve men, especially guys on a date with their ladies there.

Since they are gay treating non-gays like this, it's acceptable right? Perhaps, people feel most comfortable being among their own and in a culture that is more reminiscent of their lifestyle?

Some religions are against marriage altogether.. Should we condemn them and force them to think differently since their morals and belief system may contradict our own? Just look at Shao Lin monks or Indian Sadhus for example.

BTW..
I want to thank you and the other guy for serving and give much respect for your service despite whatever disagreement we may have.. My father is also a Vietnam Veteran.
Just like blacks, there comes a time when oppressed groups fight back. Hell, our Revolutionary War is an example. People who are oppressed eventually fight back against the oppressor. It's not acceptable but it is understandable, and the winner rewrites history to be in the best light. As a new country we did it. It was done again when the North won the War Between the States, it was done again after WWII to villainize anyone who had belonged to the Nazi Party. It is still being done with regard to the Civil Rights Movement. MLK Jr, was considered a horrible rabble rouser when I was young-- now he is a hero (and one of mine).

I was a volunteer to Viet Nam. I was a pro war militant. I came away an anti-war advocate. I was disgusted by what I saw others do, and by what I did. War is always brutal and ugly and steals the soul right out of your heart. Some people come away glorifying it, but no one forgets the sheer terror nor the split second decisions that sometimes haunt them through the decades. Now all servicemen in combat are heroes. But a small glimpse of how many heroes return broken, not just physically, should make anyone realize that even when we win, we don't. Look up that old song "A Boy Named Sue," and listen to it. Might give a couple of posters on here an understanding about "fightin' homosexuals."

No, nobody has to "like" gay marriage. They just have to let it alone, like letting blacks into school, and letting them eat off the same plates as whites (that was one fear expressed by a girl in my high school in Biloxi, Mississipi in 1963). She didn't turn black afterwards and no one is going to turn gay in Wyoming because a few homosexual couples get married.

P.S. Every homosexual alive today was born from a heterosexual union. If we don't want them, then we need a law banning heterosexual relations.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:45 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Did you even bother to see what my handle (empidonax) means?

"Tyrant flycatcher".... is that supposed to explain something relating to gay marriage or Wyoming laws?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Too bad. Obviously they didn't put it to a vote.

I noticed the article leaned on the Shepherd case, a drug deal gone bad and the news still leans on it. Sad.
Good. Civil rights should never be up for popular vote anyway. Homophobes are the new dinosaurs.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Congrats to Wyoming!! The rest of the First World welcomes you.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Homophobes are the new dinosaurs.
Who said anything about homophobes?

My objection is having to call gay shack ups "marriage."

Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Good. Civil rights should never be up for popular vote anyway. Homophobes are the new dinosaurs.
I will say it one last time, before I close the thread. There has been a lot of sly comments labeling others, or Eben calling them names,, simply because they don't believe in the same thing as you do. Above is a perfect example. At no time have I said anything against gays, I have only said that I. thought it should hu ave been put to a vote, think that it should have been a state decision. However, thenewtexan took the opertunity to label others.

No more name calling, no more labels, or I will close the the thread. There is no reason to be disrespectful.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Who said anything about homophobes?

My objection is having to call gay shack ups "marriage."
I agree with this.

If somebody believes that marriage requires vaginal consummation, based on his religious beliefs, does that mean his religion is wrong?? If a Catholic Nun says she spiritually marries Jesus and remain celibate for life, is she wrong, if others cannot agree that a Catholic Nun marries Jesus?

I just don't get the double standard that most gay people have.. It's not like if a gay person doesn't have sex they will suddenly die.. You cannot turn a black person white.

I think people should be allowed to have sex (or marry, if they call it that) with whoever they want, but to force their sexual preferences or beliefs on you, saying you should accept it is as much xenophobia of a different mindset.

I met a person who thought the act of having sex was disgusting and that marriage, itself, was horrible and wrong. Should we have her put in prison for thinking that? Should she stop believing in celibacy because we think her views of sex, love and marriage are twisted?

It's always easier to point the finger at the other person and not take responsibility for ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I will say it one last time, before I close the thread. There has been a lot of sly comments labeling others, or Eben calling them names,, simply because they don't believe in the same thing as you do. Above is a perfect example. At no time have I said anything against gays, I have only said that I. thought it should hu ave been put to a vote, think that it should have been a state decision. However, thenewtexan took the opertunity to label others.

No more name calling, no more labels, or I will close the the thread. There is no reason to be disrespectful.
+1 to the Mod

Old 10-31-2014, 07:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I agree with this.

If somebody believes that marriage requires vaginal consummation, based on his religious beliefs, does that mean his religion is wrong?? If a Catholic Nun says she spiritually marries Jesus and remain celibate for life, is she wrong, if others cannot agree that a Catholic Nun marries Jesus?

I just don't get the double standard that most gay people have.. It's not like if a gay person doesn't have sex they will suddenly die.. You cannot turn a black person white.

I think people should be allowed to have sex (or marry, if they call it that) with whoever they want, but to force their sexual preferences or beliefs on you, saying you should accept it is as much xenophobia of a different mindset.

I met a person who thought the act of having sex was disgusting and that marriage, itself, was horrible and wrong. Should we have her put in prison for thinking that? Should she stop believing in celibacy because we think her views of sex, love and marriage are twisted?

It's always easier to point the finger at the other person and not take responsibility for ourselves.
Having a personal objection to something is fine.. As a gay man, I have a personal objection to being in a relationship with a woman and I have every right to make that statement. Having said that, I would never advocate denying any person access to equal rights that all of us expect as human beings. This is essentially why separation from Church and State and the subjective whims of 'personal' feelings must exist and the law designed to protect equal rights for everyone, not just for the fractions we want to support or deny rights for/against. We may not agree with all laws nor should we be forced to, but we must respect and support equality of rights and freedoms within our legal system..

Last edited by fusion2; 10-31-2014 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming