Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 PM

120 posts, read 123,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
I married here in Wyoming with no possibility of procreating. Does that mean I should have not have been able to legally get married?
Again, Darwinism.

I'll take this right back to I could care less if you are heterosexual, homosexual, asexual, monogamist, polygamist, or you wanna be like a guy in FL trying to marry his computer. It's all Free Will but don't legislate simply because I agree or don't agree.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
... This is election time. Wyoming should get to vote on it, just like every other state that passed or refused it before....
I don't believe most states did get to vote on it. Iowa was one of the first to legalize same sex marriage, and that came about from a court decision. Many others, even California, turned it down at the polls, but it was the courts that turned it over.

I've stayed out of this thread up until now because (1) it's a done deal, and (2) I tend to avoid arguments with my friends and neighbors unless it's necessary. However, I'm going to share my thoughts on this anyway.

I'm a long-time Wyoming resident (of 43 years) and a Republican conservative since my first vote at age 21. I've long believed that same sex couples should have the same rights as traditional couples. Until a few years ago I didn't like calling it a "marriage" because that's not how I defined a marriage, but I finally succumbed to the idea because it simply seems more fair than continuing to discriminate by refusing to allow them the same rights the rest of us take for granted -- such as family insurance plans, tax advantages, hospital visits, social security benefits for surviving spouses and other death benefits.

I don't like PDAs between gays. It simply freaks me out. And I don't like thinking about what goes on behind their closed doors, so I don't. But denying gays the right to marry will not make them straight. There are hundreds of court decisions I don't like, but this one is probably right. It won't affect me nor my family in any measurable way, and it probably won't affect any of my long-time friends on this board. It will help Wyoming's many gay couples.

My wish would be that you who are bothered by this not think about what goes on behind the doors of married gays but think about whether they should have the same rights and privileges the rest of us have had or may have from marriage. If a gay couple lives together for 50 years, who are we to say they shouldn't have the same protections and, yes, even responsibilities that we take for granted from marriage?

Last edited by WyoNewk; 10-24-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:43 PM

382 posts, read 936,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadtoad View Post
Again, Darwinism.

I'll take this right back to I could care less if you are heterosexual, homosexual, asexual, monogamist, polygamist, or you wanna be like a guy in FL trying to marry his computer. It's all Free Will but don't legislate simply because I agree or don't agree.
So then what has my sex life have to do with marriage? Procreation is not the reason more marriage. It is legalizing a relationship not a sex life. I am heterosexual by the way.

PS Centuries of not legalizing same sex marriage has not eliminated it.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
So then what has my sex life have to do with marriage? Procreation is not the reason more marriage. It is legalizing a relationship not a sex life. I am heterosexual by the way.

PS Centuries of not legalizing same sex marriage has not eliminated it.
If procreation does not exist then the species dies off. Your sex life is a reflection of your values which for most people is a legacy from the previous generation.

The problem is governing by the Judicial branch. States that vote against it get the vote over turned by the liberal judges. Forcing the ideology upon other simply nets a negative result.

Be gay, be straight; like guns, be afraid of guns; welcome undocumented guests, decry illegals..... just don't legislate my own values and beliefs by decree and most certainly if discrimination is the root then end it totally. No more Affirmative Action, no more welfare, flat tax for everyone, and applaud Grandfathers marring their Granddaughters because evidently we need to embrace the slippery slope of social decay.

I for one can't wait for the progression of the Sharia Law movement.... that will be pure entertainment!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 PM

How is a same sex marriage by another couple force anything on you?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
What I disagree with, primarily, is calling homosexual union a marriage. It is not.

Get some tax breaks, if you need them. Get access to your shack up's med records. Inherit whatever he or she leaves behind. But it is not marriage.

We don't recognize common law unions in Wyoming. I do not think we should be forced to recognize same sex bunking, either.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which reads, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” I'm talking about constitutional rights of the states to decide, and that includes Wyoming. I'm not speaking of Minnesota's passing of the bill by a narrow margin. It should be left up to the will of the people.

If a majority in Wyoming voted to pass it, then sobeit. but that wasn't allowed to happen, which makes it, according to the 10th amendment, unconstitutional, if I understand the law correctly.
Looks like you have an open and shut case, you need to hire an attorney and fight this overreach of the courts.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
How is a same sex marriage by another couple force anything on you?
The ideology is continually forced. Take these for example....
California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history - CNN.com

//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...y-day-5-a.html

Once Liberals succeed with their agenda, history shows it's mandated and preached to be accepted to include brainwashing at the early ages. Anyone who dissents is vilified. A previous poster from CT called it a "garden" which is happy language instead of calling it what it really is..... the plague.

I completed a 24yr career in the AF and my home state of FL fell to the Liberals 6yrs ago. Wyoming is the most Conservative state in the nation so I'm relocating my family and tax dollars to the last bastion of family values.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I absolutely hate labels and firmly believe people that label, are weak in their argument. Because I believe in traditional family values, what makes it wrong. Does it label me as a Republican? A Democrats? An Independent? A conservative? A Liberal? Those titles or labels have absolutely nothing to do with my voting record, they have all to do with my beliefs and the standards I was raised with.

I was raised with the idea that we voted on things. We put things to a vote, so 'We the people' could decide. That is what the argument is about. Not that the state succumbed to 'let's let it drop because its not worth dealing with'. What happened to democracy instead of giving up?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I absolutely hate labels and firmly believe people that label, are weak in their argument. Because I believe in traditional family values, what makes it wrong. Does it label me as a Republican? A Democrats? An Independent? A conservative? A Liberal? Those titles or labels have absolutely nothing to do with my voting record, they have all to do with my beliefs and the standards I was raised with.

I was raised with the idea that we voted on things. We put things to a vote, so 'We the people' could decide. That is what the argument is about. Not that the state succumbed to 'let's let it drop because its not worth dealing with'. What happened to democracy instead of giving up?
This is a democratic republic with a constitution. It is that way so the majority can not vote to limit anyone's basic rights. The constitution upholds the right to not be discriminated against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming