Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,509 times

Advertisements

I was just curious.. I was reading the Sheridan paper yesterday and there was a small article about the new mining opening up in Colorado. Which I had heard about on the news.

Is the boom still going full force in Northeastern Wyoming or is it leveling out now and slowing down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
So far. It's going full strength. Nothing slowng down yet.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Wyoming mining is "booming", and sales and long term delivery contracts are very strong.

The only dip I've seen in the market was the postponement/possible cancellation of two new coal power plants due to (unknown) possible carbon emissions affecting the plants in the near term.

Colorado shares a lot of Wyoming's mineral and energy wealth, but it's not been as competitive in recent years. With the dynamics of the mining and energy businesses at play, Colorado could be opening (or re-opening) some mines ... but that's not to the detriment of Wyoming mines, only a move to fill the huge market demand.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your replies... I was curious after reading the article in the paper

The columnist also said he didn't think it meant anything was slowing in Wyoming either..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
It's kind of funny. Wyoming does what wyoming wants to do. We're kind of independent and choose what we want through the clouds of dispair. We boom, but not as bad as we could. We temper it a bit so that the city doesn't swoon like most do. Sheridan kind of keeps the lid on the pot. We don't want it to boil over.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
No state in the US has the coal reserves equal to Campbell County let alone the whole state. Are you sure the mining in CO was coal as they are mining mostly oil shale.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
No state in the US has the coal reserves equal to Campbell County let alone the whole state. Are you sure the mining in CO was coal as they are mining mostly oil shale.
There are lots of gas wells in the western slope area around Grand Junction. Perhaps this is what they were thinking of?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Colorado's coal production, though growing, is somewhere around 10% of Wyoming's. Also, for the most part, the coal produced in Colorado is a high BTU, low sulfur, low ash, low moisture coal mined mostly underground. It is mixed with high sulfur coals and burned mostly in older power plants. The mixture of coal allows those plants to stay in EPA compliance without huge additional expenditures in pollution control equipment.

Wyoming coal, mostly from the Powder River Basin is low sulfur, higher ash, higher moisture, and lower BTU coal than that mined in Colorado. Unlike Colorado's coal, it is largely strip mined and is relatively cheap to produce. Wyoming coal is generally burned in power plants specifically designed to burn it.

Bottom line: the two states' coal are somewhat different from one another and are usually marketed to different customers. As such, they really don't compete with each other that much.

Both states have in common that there is a great deal of coalbed methane gas development going on. Again, Wyoming leads Colorado in that, but there is plenty going on in both states.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:37 PM

144 posts, read 627,879 times
I hope this isn't too off topic, but someone just told me that the uranium mines in Niobrara County are going to re-open. Anyone know if there's any truth in that??

Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Lol I have one more question a bit off the subject, but still pertains to it... also... LOL

What do you think will happen to the Energy boom in Wyoming in Coal, Oil, Methane ect... if a Democratic president gets elected? Do you think that will put a damper in a lot of it???
I was just thinking about this tonight after watching the debates on ABC.

Me personally I am for Ron Paul all the way Anyways I was just curious and thought I would throw the question out there...

Last edited by Kristynwy; 01-05-2008 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming