Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:43 PM

26 posts, read 61,098 times

Advertisements

My dear Wyoming residents,

Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. I am a brand new registered nurse from the Los Angeles area. I am a Thai-American, and I'm 30. I am considering moving to Casper, WY to work as an RN.

I've been checking the weather and webcams for weeks so I am aware the weather is very cold in winter and very beautiful in summer. I also see that you guys get wind there constantly during all seasons, so that could make winters very hard.

I am looking to get an apartment close enough to walk to the hospital where I might work (WBI).

I've been reading a lot of past threads about Casper, and it looks like Casper's a great place for new families, so it seems pretty safe, right?

Can anyone please tell me more about what life is like in Casper, and how the cost of living is? I'd be making $26/hour and my apartment will probably be $700/month. Will I have plenty of money left to live life?

What do people usually do on their days off? Is skiing something people do everyday during winter after work? (I've never skiied before though, but want to learn.)

What's your opinion on the scenery?

Is it a normal thing to take a little vacation in Yellowstone or Jackson Hole for residents in Casper?

I'm also interested in seeing rodeo events too.

How is driving in town? I can't imagine it being as hectic as Los Angeles.

Most importantly, how are the people in town? Are they welcoming? I doubt there's many Asians living out there in Wyoming in the first place, so I am wondering if I'll be treated any differently.

I have been dreaming about a small town life in Wyoming for quite a while now. I just need to know if this is the kind of life for me. I have been an indoors girl most of my life, and I've been wanting to be outdoors more often now.

Any info you can give me about life in Casper or its vicinity will be appreciated!

If you also have information on Lander or Riverton, I'd love that too, as I was just contacted by a hospital in that area just now.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
RE: Finances. This last Sunday's edition of the Cheyenne T-E newspaper had a lead front page article about the cost of housing in this state and had a guideline of 30% of one's income as a targeted maximum. The hourly wage rate for a full time employee required for a person to accomplish that guideline was $26/hour for Cheyenne. Casper is fairly close in costs to the Cheyenne market. You might look up that article and it's commentary on housing costs across Wyoming. $700/month for a rental doesn't offer much in the Cheyenne marketplace ... if I had the income, I'd likely be looking at spending a bit more money here, and the article reflects that with a $4,000/mo gross income. But my priorities aren't your priorities ....

I'd urge you to come visit the towns under consideration before making any decision about moving here. With Casper and Lander as two possible locations, they are very different towns in terms of amenities and access to recreation, shopping, winter climes, restaurants, entertainment ...

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-23-2014 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 07:36 PM

234 posts, read 267,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
RE: Finances. This last Sunday's edition of the Cheyenne T-E newspaper had a lead front page article about the cost of housing in this state and had a guideline of 30% of one's income as a targeted maximum.
Here is the direct link to the article sunspirit referred to:

Single and want to rent? Better earn $26 per hour | WyomingNews.com

Old 12-23-2014, 08:57 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I would say Casper is a pretty nice town. For it's size, it offers a lot of things not usually found in cities with similar population in other states.

There are some apartments near WBI. You can cross-country ski or downhill ski on nearby Casper Mountain. Mountain biking on the mountain and other areas is popular in the months without snow. Yes, it is often windy in town, but you can get away from it not too far away. I like the scenery. Casper has a good Rec Center and a good YMCA. The community college and other institutions offer a fairly wide variety of events.

I have met some Asian people who live and work there. Casper has people from many places and Wyoming people are pretty friendly, in my experience.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:00 PM

322 posts, read 587,808 times
If wind is a concern, then I would consider Sheridan Memorial Hospital in Sheridan, which is protected from the westerly winds by the Big Horn Mountains. Sure, the wind blows sometimes, but I find it no more annoying than anywhere that I have lived on the east coast, from Maine to Florida. And the wind usually doesn't blow.

Check out the other threads discussing Sheridan.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:38 PM

149 posts, read 259,003 times
Just to piggy-back on the last post, relatively speaking, Lander is one of the least windy cities when compared to the rest of Wyoming. This wind energy map kind of gets used to death, but it is interesting to see the pockets of less wind throughout the state:

http://apps2.eere.energy.gov/wind/wi...aps/wy_80m.jpg

Old 12-27-2014, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I would avoid Casper (it might ruin your WY perception). It is quite a ways from the nicer areas of WY. (quite barren / arid)
As a 30 something... / Try for Sheridan, then Cody. Lander and Riverton are a bit 'retiree aged'.

Also SD... Sturgis (VA Hospital) and Spearfish and Rapid City are good spots that are near to WY.

Billings and Bozeman, MT are worth a look.

I just returned from an 8 month assignment near Hua Hin. Tho nice, there are nicer parts of Thailand as well.

BTW: I would try to get on with VA hospital, as they have good benefits and training / transfer opportunities.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 AM

149 posts, read 259,003 times
Just some clarification on this last post:

Resident Median Ages (According to City-Data):

Riverton: 35.4
Sheridan: 39.2
Lander: 40.3
Cody: 42.4

So you can see that Riverton and Lander are hardly "Retiree Aged." Due to NOLS and the colleges Lander has an active 20's and 30's aged scene.

Last edited by TNT25; 12-28-2014 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Missed word.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 AM

26 posts, read 61,098 times
Thank you so much, guys. I really appreciate all your helpful responses. I will see if I can find a job in Sheridan, Bozeman or Billings too. You're right, though. I should really visit before deciding to move there. Just a little reluctant to visit at this time since flights are so expensive right now. My other choice other than Casper is Fargo, North Dakota right now.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Thank you so much, guys. I really appreciate all your helpful responses. I will see if I can find a job in Sheridan, Bozeman or Billings too. You're right, though. I should really visit before deciding to move there. Just a little reluctant to visit at this time since flights are so expensive right now. My other choice other than Casper is Fargo, North Dakota right now.
To me, those are not choices, those are sentences. haha

Sheridan has really turned things around, medically. Just in the last few years they have built a new orthopedic, a cancer center, etc... I saw an article a while back saying they have brought in over 150 doctors.

There is a very large Veterans Administration with. 400 beds. The VA is primarily, mental, substance abuse, Domiciliary, a nursing home and the a medical ward with 32 beds. They do no cutting at this VA. So if a vet needs a surgery of any sort, they send them out to other facilities and as soon as they are stable, they bring them back to this VA to recover. I've been sent to Billings 4 times for surgery, and twice was sent to Memorial, right here in Sheridan, twice. For all of those I did all the prep work at the VA, xrays, MRI'ss, CATScans, etc.... Then sent out for the actual surgery, maybe overnight after the surgery and then sent back to the VA for recovery, physical Therapy, etc.

The benefits with the VA are outstanding and the best part is later on everything is completely transferable. VA in Sheridan, and a full VA (surgical). in Cheyenne. I believe there are about 13-14 Clinics throughout the state. Just take a look at their website. Its a good system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming