Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times

Advertisements

This is something i came across on Wikipedia, thought i might share it with you all. A lot of you might already know this or suspect this. I was surprised Hawaii came in tied for 8th lowest along with Idaho, and North Dakota.
Wyoming is tied for 3rd lowest in the Unites States for income inequality.
List of U.S. states by Gini coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
IMO ...

this is another meaningless analysis of statistics, to imply that wealth/income inequality is bad for whatever the agenda is of the creator of the Gini coefficient.

What really counts on an individual basis is the financial ability to provide the essentials of living to the standards of each family; ie, I know some folk who think they're horribly deprived if they aren't living in the same McMansion that Mr & Mrs GotBucks live in down the road, while others are suffering terribly if they don't have all the toys that Mr GotRocks has and all his luxuries that his wealth allows him to buy without having to worry about where his next meal is coming from.

The bottom line is not everybody is focused upon envy of those with far more disposable income. The entitlement mentality that some suffer from is not necessarily contagious, and I know many WY folk who couldn't care less. They work as hard as they care to ... or not ... and are happy with their lot in life even if they can't go out and display huge conspicuous consumption and the trappings of extreme affluence. It's a matter of values, not dollars.

Particularly noticeable in WY is the number of folk you'll see running around driving older pick-up trucks, living in modest housing with inexpensive home furnishings, wearing carhartts and other worn work clothing ... happy in what they do and their lives ... and you maybe find out that they are quite affluent. They don't need your approval to feel satisfied with their lot in life, they've made their choices and are happy.

It comes down to having what you want in life and wanting what you have.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-19-2015 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Good point sunsprit. Very well said.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Need vrs want. A lot of folks don't know the difference.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
"It comes down to having what you want in life and wanting what you have." That pretty much defines satisfaction. Thanks, sunspirit

Old 02-21-2015, 06:58 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
I have often wondered about the overall mental-stability of those who spend time obscessing over whether or not he or she is 'equal' to the other, and/or how to achieve said-equality. Some are equal to others, some are not. To each his or her own; water rises to it's own level, and even Christ said "You will always have the poor among you"...and when I look around (the few times I get to town) I see it (especially on the Rez) and even the very few times I manage to get back east (to see my parents) I see it, even where there are SO many Federal-Programs that are supposedly designed to elevate those OUT of such depravity.

There is no easy solution, other than to get up and git' after it...

Old 02-21-2015, 08:52 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Place here that when scrap metal got high, I bet they have a high 6 figures if they cleaned up. Told the banker , he said poor people have poor ways. If they sold it all instead of buying new equipment ,they just go to the next farm auction and buy it back.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:58 PM

32 posts, read 39,577 times
Who cares? I saved my money until i had enough to buy what i wanted. I paid cash for the land, the house, and everything else on my farm. My monthly bills are $400 now. No mortgage, nor rent, nor car payment, nor utility bills, nor grocery bills and the list goes on.

I lived like others would not for 10 years. Now i will live like others can not for the rest of my life.

pW

Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro wyoming View Post
Who cares? I saved my money until i had enough to buy what i wanted. I paid cash for the land, the house, and everything else on my farm. My monthly bills are $400 now. No mortgage, nor rent, nor car payment, nor utility bills, nor grocery bills and the list goes on.

I lived like others would not for 10 years. Now i will live like others can not for the rest of my life.

pW
Well good for you.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
This is something i came across on Wikipedia, thought i might share it with you all. A lot of you might already know this or suspect this. I was surprised Hawaii came in tied for 8th lowest along with Idaho, and North Dakota.
Wyoming is tied for 3rd lowest in the Unites States for income inequality.
List of U.S. states by Gini coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just to clarify for others just in case they were as confused as I was initially. The lower the score . . . the more income equality in that state. So, Wyoming being third is a good thing, if income equality is to be considered desirable.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
A score of "0" on the Gini coefficient represents complete equality, i.e., every person has the same income. A score of 1 would represent complete inequality, i.e., where one person has all the income and others have none.
Makes sense. Basically says that people in UT, AK, WY, etc. all make close to the same amount while those in D.C. are spread out all over the income spectrum. That is also logical when you consider the 'ruling class' and their income compared to the inner city poverty they have.

Heck, this should not be news to us. Isn't one of the mottos of WY the "Equality State".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming