Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:59 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,063 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are looking at transferring from Austin, TX to Laramie, WY. Why is rental housing so scarce and expensive?
Any thoughts on the schools?
I'm gathering as much info as I can to make the best decision for our family.
My husband is all for it, but I'm nervous. It's a big move, and I want to know what we're getting into. Can anyone suggest places to live, or possible contacts for renting in the area? I've tried Craigslist, but no help. I want to get an idea of property out there.
Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Bets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:00 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,970 times
You need to visit if you have not done so already. Then you will know what you are getting into.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,521 times
Wyomiles is right - best to visit. Not sure what the weather or shopping is like in Austin, but I think you'll find Laramie's climate much different. I lived there for nearly 15 years and love Laramie, but I appreciate the diverse and albeit sometimes harsh weather. I have always dreamed of returning, but that is impossible with housing prices.

Being completely honest, my family and I finally left because we needed to buy a bigger house (more kidlets) and absolutely couldn't afford a larger home in Laramie. The house we sold 5 years ago for $165,000 just resold last year for $250,000!!! We've also since been living somewhere with a less harsh climate, and when we return to Laramie (in the summer, mind you) the weather is a bit difficult to take.

I don't mean to discourage you, Crazymomof3, but visiting, especially this time of year, is the best idea to get a "feel" for Laramie.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM

39 posts, read 200,524 times
Hey Crazymom -

The wife and I are from Austin (originally from Wyo and CO) and contemplating a return to Wyoming. I'd be curious as to what made you guys pull the trigger. Austin and Laramie are definately a different scene... and could probably be good or bad depending on your perspective .

I would imagine that housing is scarce in Laramie just as it seems to be in the rest of Wyoming right now due to the gas boom....

J

Old 01-13-2008, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Transfer to Laramie

My husband's job has offered him a transfer. His co. has a site up there that needs him. I'm so shocked at the housing prices. Now I understand that it's a college town, etc. But I lived in THE college town, College Station, for years, and had no trouble finding affordable housing, so that logic doesn't make sense to me.
We'd like to rent before we buy, just to get a feel for the area, but it seems that there is nothing to rent!
The climate change would take some getting used to but before I lived in TX, I grew up in Illinois, so I've been exposed to the elements, so to speak.
I am really confused-I think it sounds like a good opportunity and would probably afford our family a slower pace of life (which is what we want), but I'm afraid of disrupting our standard of living, i.e housing, etc.
My husband's job would be in Laramie, so we understand that we'd have to live in Laramie. From what we've heard, living too far away from work presents a problem, i.e weather, snow, road closures. I was looking at Northern Colorado and let him commute (not a problem-we have done it before), but we were warned of severe weather and interstate closures, so that presents a problem. I don't mind living in a college town-I've done it in College Station, and Austin. I just thought b/c it is a college town, more housing would be made available.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
best to come up and "visit" Laramie for a week during the winter months to see what you're getting into. It's quite different than IL, and a world apart from Austin's warmer climate.

The Austin/Laramie move would ... IMO ... be quite a culture shock. Laramie is a much smaller "town", even though it's one of the biggest in Wyoming. You'll be much more limited in shopping, cultural activities, and many other choices which you take for granted in Austin. While Laramie has good access to the Front Range of Colorado for many activities, it's still a trek (close by for Wyoming standards) to get there and back.

While visiting, you can check out the local housing availability and see if it suits you.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 364,920 times
All of the rentals are occupied when school is in session. You'll have quite a selection if you wait until school is out. But then half of the population is gone, so it's quite different.

Sunsprit is right, you really should go up there for awhile in the winter to be sure you'll be able to hack it. It's vastly different weather than what you are used to.

As for places to live, you need to specify what price range you're looking for, as the town has areas of every economic level. There are a number of realtors in town, and most of them own properties that they rent. Just pick one and call to see if they can help you. If not, call another one. There's plenty from which to choose.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 AM

264 posts, read 1,094,079 times
Everybody's different - we made the move from Texas to Wyoming last September and it hasn't been a culture shock at all. It is what you make of it. For us, it's been the best move we could have made.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Default Relo: Austin-Laramie

Navyvet,
Thank you. I have lived in rural parts of Texas, so I'm not too worried about that. I lived in a town w/ 650 people, and I gotta tell you, I was the happiest I've ever been in my life. The closest "city" was College Station and that was 45 mins. away. I don't feel like it would be a culture shock, as I'm not part of the "Austin" scene. I actually detest Austin in some ways, as it is not the same city that I went to college in. I actually live outside of Austin in a town that has grown by 25000 in the past 5 years! I don't like crowds nor really populated areas, so I feel that Laramie wouldn't be that big of a "culture" shock. I have children, so my concern is for them, and from what I've seen there is a lot for us to do as a family. We are an outdoor family, and prefer being outdoors to indoors.
I heard on Paul Harvey this morning that Cheyenne has the least expensive gas in the country. He didn't say what the cost was, but I know I'm paying over $3 a gallon here, and have been for months.
Any other input anyone would have would be appreciated. Living in Texas most of my life, I am accustomed more to heat than cold, and I have to tell you these Texas summers can be brutal!!!
One question: what kind of vegetation can one grow in Wy? I enjoy gardening, and am curious what kind of gardening I could do. Also, what trees are prevalent?
Thanks everyone!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
You'll be moving from one extreme climate zone to another ... from Texas heat w/humidity to Wyoming Cold with almost no moisture. For the most part, Wyoming is a high altitude desert climate; the benefit is that it doesn't feel as cold in the dry air on a sunny cold day.

Trees here are mostly elms, pine, and fir, with cottonwoods along low-lying areas where moisture collects, or aspen trees in wetland areas. Again, due to altitude, soils, moisture (or lack of it), and lots of wind, there aren't a lot of trees compared to wet area of the country forests. We also don't have a lot of secondary growth at the ground level below the trees, and the trees tend to grow fairly far apart ... a very thin stand compared to low elevation forests. Keep in mind that we're above timberline for most wooded areas of the USA. With care and proper planting, you can grow fruit trees ... apples, pears, and some other stone fruits ... but you should anticipate that there will be year-to-year losses for many reasons.

Gardening is always a challenge, due to the short growing season and limited availability of water. You can grow many varieties of root vegetables, and tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, and similar vegetables. Corn and sunflowers can do well. You'll find that ... due to seasonal variations of climate and moisture .... some years, certain varieties will do very well, and other years ... produce poorly. You must plant a variety each year, and let nature take it's course for your garden. Certain berries and grapes may do well for awhile, too. Roses are problematic, but can survive for a long time. Iris may do well. Some bulb types may do well, but our Japanese Iris have never made it here.

A greenhouse structure will go a long way toward extending your growing season and productivity. We've built two 26' x 48' for our own production and farmer's market sales, and we get a lot more from them than we can use with drip tape irrigation and careful monitoring of temps, opening the side roll-up as needed. Check out FarmTek type tunnels, the higher end models seem to do OK in our climate of winds and cold.

Your best resource for what you can grow will be your County Extension Agent office and local master gardener's group.

Do keep in mind that you are limited to the use of your domestic water for other than domestic use. If you are into a larger bunch of landscaping/lawn/vege's, you'll need ag water. That's a whole different use, and you will have to buy that water right and water apart from your domestic supply unless you are on a municipal water system, where you'll be paying (dearly!) for domestic treated water for your garden and landscaping requirements. This is a place where lawns may not be a good choice, but many people are so acclimated to having one they think that they must have one here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming