Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 PM

50 posts, read 74,426 times

Advertisements

Mountain states express does not allow animals. A 5 hour + flight with a toddler and a therapy animal, luggages and a carseat and 1 overstressed on the brink to crazy insane-o mom. We fly into SLC at 9:38 next month. So how do we get from SLC to Evanston? There are no car rental agencies that have one way drop offs in Evanston. I even called Penske but that is overkill and costs almost as much as another one way ticket!!! I called the chamber of commerce and the lady wasnt a whole lot of help. Ideas anyone???? I know there are taxis is SLC but I imagine that would be much more than I budgeted for a rental car. Seriously. Help. The stress of moving is getting to me and this is something that should be so easy and I am pulling my hair out. Suggestions please?

This wasnt a problem was I was going to move to Sheridan but now that it's Evanston it's a whole different animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,918,471 times
how about getting a quote now from SLC Uber or Lyft drivers so you know what their charges might be?

both services are operating out of the SLC airport, not completely in compliance with the rules/fares that the licensed taxi companies operate under.

all of the taxi services are used to the SLC - Park City corridor, which is a substantial portion of the route to Evanston.

as well, both Uber & Lyft have operators in Evanston. Perhaps one of them could meet you at SLC airport and take you up the hill?

Since there's little other alternatives to such one-way public transport in the area, my bet is that you'd hardly be the first person needing a SLC-Evanston trip. Consider, too, that there's a possibility that an Evanston operator may be dropping somebody off at SLC so it could be timely for them to do the return trip with a paying fare.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-29-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 PM

Thank you! I will look them up tomorrow!

I am one of those people that normal easy things for others are a hassle and a half for me. For example: in my last apartment the phone and cable both had issues and had to be fixed. I have about a million other examples of things that have been unnecessarily difficut. So many hassles in life but I persevere!!! It can only make me stronger right?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,517,732 times
I've taken a cab both directions when I lived in Uinta County. It's a normal trip for them. Just go to the cab loading area when you get there. If one driver doesn't want to take your dog plenty of others will. Ten years ago the fare was a little over a hundred as I recall. Doing it this way there will be no waiting for anyone or any other complications.

As the sign says, ''Welcome to Evanston: fresh air, freedom, and fun.'' I lived in the area for four years. You won't find nicer people anywhere.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've taken a cab both directions when I lived in Uinta County. It's a normal trip for them. Just go to the cab loading area when you get there. If one driver doesn't want to take your dog plenty of others will. Ten years ago the fare was a little over a hundred as I recall. Doing it this way there will be no waiting for anyone or any other complications.

As the sign says, ''Welcome to Evanston: fresh air, freedom, and fun.'' I lived in the area for four years. You won't find nicer people anywhere.

Thank you Happy In Wyoming!!

I intend to be "happy in wyoming" too! Today is dreary and rainy and cold-ish here in Michigan. I think every cell in my body is protesting! I can't wait to see the sun, feel the dry air, especially see the mountains(!) and become a part of the community. I am pretty shy but my daughter is outgoing and thrives on it so she is teaching me and for her sake I am hoping to get her involved in lots of activities!

Last edited by ZoloMom; 06-30-2015 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Rent a car for a couple days and find someone in Evanston to follow you back to the airport and drop it off. (this is not that hard to do). There are certainly some retirees / people who have to go back and forth for work / medical / shopping (Costco runs). Make some connections through the local stores / senior services / clubs / churches.

I rent from Enterprise (one way) they will usually provide a drop-off driver / pick-up, or you can arrange with them to do so.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Rent a car for a couple days and find someone in Evanston to follow you back to the airport and drop it off. (this is not that hard to do). There are certainly some retirees / people who have to go back and forth for work / medical / shopping (Costco runs). Make some connections through the local stores / senior services / clubs / churches.

I rent from Enterprise (one way) they will usually provide a drop-off driver / pick-up, or you can arrange with them to do so.

I just called Enterprise and she said she had never heard of that. Do you have a particular phone # that you call???

Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
I have done this in destinations in Colorado, TX, and WA.

I call the office location I am renting from and explain my situation, They sometimes have extra drivers, and if not, I have scheduled when they do have (thus I rent for a 2 day period). I offer to pay the hourly fee for driver delivering me / returning to rental office.

Best to connect with someone in Evanston who is making a run to SLC airport to drop off or fetch someone.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,517,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoloMom View Post
I just called Enterprise and she said she had never heard of that. Do you have a particular phone # that you call???
He's been spouting hot air for years.

Plan to take your dog to Bear River State Park. It's just outheast of town. Dogs are very good at making friends.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
He's been spouting hot air for years.

Plan to take your dog to Bear River State Park. It's just outheast of town. Dogs are very good at making friends.
It just so happens to be a cat. Haha. (Anxiety issues) wish I could have one of each. And a horse. Don't think the apartment management would care for that!

So the countdown is on! 10 more days! So excited!!! I patched together suggestions and figured out a way to my new home which would probably be the same as a taxi (including tip). I am renting from Enterprise. Taking that to Evanston so I can get some necessities when I 1st get there (food, tp, cat litter & food, etc) and cruise around a bit. I would like to get my new license that day but I will probably be too exhausted so hopefully the next morning before I take the car back to SLC then the cat can stay at home while my daughter and I ride the Mountain State Express back to Evanston. So thankful our flight (s) is only 5 hours and 9 mins. I am going to have to be supermom carrying luggage and cat and 3 year old. I will be at war with wanting to sleep for a month and go exploring. Usually, my daughter ends up making me get out and about. She does keep me young! (My daughter is almost 4 and I am 45. Yeah.....

I am excited about the sunshine and lower humidity and mountains. Long walks. I want to learn to use a firearm and get a handgun. Maybe learn to hunt once my daughter gets older. We don't know anyone there but are hopeful about finding a new church family. Ballet class for my little one. Trying to see if there are any MOPS or Mommy and Me type things there? I see there is a rec center. Wish there was more info online about it. Have to get some furniture. I love thrift stores and flea markets! Then car shopping. All that should keep me busy for quite some time! And we will get there in time to enjoy the fair! I am not really into crowds but will brave them in order to see animals. Love horses. Used to give trail rides once upon a lifetime ago but I am still pretty green. If I get a chance to read a horse magazine I don't know what they are talking about. I could probably still ride off into the sunset cowboy style. Lol. Okay. I am getting super goofy. I need to try and get some more sleep.

Jeez. Sorry. TMI. No stalkers allowed. (Note the hand gun comment.)

Anything else I should look out for or know about? Being a Michigander I know a bit about snow.
Rattlesnakes, what about ticks? Deadly spiders? (Shiver.) Is the mosquito your state bird too? Any kind of local-type things I should know? Best cheap kid friendly restaurant? Wifi hotspots?

Last edited by ZoloMom; 07-10-2015 at 04:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming