Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 950 times

Advertisements

Been hearing a lot about the smoke from these wildfires in Idaho and Washington blanketing the mountains of Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Some people have said that it ruins their experience at the parks. Will this still be an issue going into early early September? And if so can you still take good pictures if there is a lot of smoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

3,647 posts, read 6,281,383 times
visibility here in Star Valley was about 7-10 miles today. Yesterday was worse
no back in 88 when Yellowstone burned you could look directly at the red sun most of the summer.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
We are leaving New Hampshire for Yellowstone tomorrow about 0530. I'll try to keep you posted with a tablet.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,219,977 times
Have fun!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:06 AM

We just returned from our vacation to Yellowstone and the Black Hills. I found myself using the words "astounding" and "amazing" more than I have done in a long time. What I noticed most was the lack of people in much of the American land. On the return trip avoiding Chicago I realized we grow a LOT of corn. A whole lot of corn.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We just returned from our vacation to Yellowstone and the Black Hills. I found myself using the words "astounding" and "amazing" more than I have done in a long time. What I noticed most was the lack of people in much of the American land. On the return trip avoiding Chicago I realized we grow a LOT of corn. A whole lot of corn.
That happens when the US GOV is giving away money or issuing Renewable Energy Credits / edicts for mandatory use. In Brazil you will find many hectares of sugar cane for the same reason. (Ethanol at the moment)

Possibly not for long...as lower oil prices put additional pressure on subsidies for renewables, and corn heads back to the feedlot instead of the ethanol plant.

Too bad the USA does not have a comprehensive energy policy. There are a lot of consequence to the WY, ND, SD economies due to the 'whipsaw effect'. The USA economy teeters as well. Just business...

Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,137,981 times
Corn production acres are down in 2015 from prior years.

But with the record setting high yields/acre this year, corn pricing is lower. In some areas, the price is less than the cost of production.

My bet is we'll see even fewer corn acres planted next year, and much less corn going to "renewable" fuels. With corn under $4/bu, it's not the profit maker that it once was for the fuel industry growers.

GregW ... keep in mind that much of the Wyoming landscape you passed by is gov't land, approx 50% of Wyoming's land area is public lands not available for development, towns, etc. Hence the vast unsettled spaces in one of the largest states in the union.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 AM

We drove from the East Gate of YNP to Sheridan using Rt. 14. That was a very wonderful drive. Conveniently the forest Service labeled the rocks. We stayed in Sundance and had supper in the bar in town. Good supper and we also bought a bottle of Wyoming's finest and only whiskey. Next (or maybe before) was a visit to King's Rope and Saddle shop. Great people and a wondrous museum. We have to go back. Then we had lunch at the Busy Bee in Buffalo. Longmire fans, like me, will recognize the place. Note: We could see trout in the brook that flows next to the restaurant. Another place to visit again. Then we drive to the Black Hills of SD. That is another story.

BTW the weather was fabulous. Warm, sunny and dry.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
... Then we drive to the Black Hills of SD. That is another story.
good choices and feedback...
next trip to the Black Hills, stay at Main Street Manor Hostel in Lead, SD.

rent a bike and do some of the Mikelson Trail.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mike...utf-8&oe=utf-8
(The owner of hostel might have bikes for you, She biked around the world (1 yr tour) AFTER she retired...)

You have to be very careful to avoid 'tourista' in the Black Hills

Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,250,194 times
Quote:
We drove from the East Gate of YNP to Sheridan using Rt. 14. That was a very wonderful drive. Conveniently the forest Service labeled the rocks. We stayed in Sundance and had supper in the bar in town. Good supper and we also bought a bottle of Wyoming's finest and only whiskey. Next (or maybe before) was a visit to King's Rope and Saddle shop. Great people and a wondrous museum. We have to go back. Then we had lunch at the Busy Bee in Buffalo. Longmire fans, like me, will recognize the place. Note: We could see trout in the brook that flows next to the restaurant. Another place to visit again. Then we drive to the Black Hills of SD. That is another story.

BTW the weather was fabulous. Warm, sunny and dry.
I am glad you had a wonderfull trip. I believe this is the best time to visit the Wyoming and South dakota area's. The Schools are back in session, and less visitors to all the site seeing venue's. Weather is still warm, maybe cool in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming