U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,315 times

Advertisements

Best Time To Visit Wyoming?

Hello, and thank you all in advance for your help.

I have two weeks vacation and would like to see as much of the great state as possible by vehicle-especially the smaller, more rural towns.

I am looking for a Wyoming road trip with a mix of sight-seeing, camping, and some short hikes.
My intentions are fun and research, as well as exploring the possibly of living in a very rural area.

Thank you,

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM

11,370 posts, read 47,095,928 times
May though September for best access throughout the state.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 AM

What are the day-night temps roughly across the board?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Depending upon location/altitude, the typical seasonal temps will run 60's/40's through to 80's/high 50's (day/night).

At the shoulder seasons, one may still encounter freezing temps/frosts overnight, and a brief snowfall is not unusual.

At the lowest elevations, 90's/60's in the middle of the summer.

Winter time is a whole different story. Depending upon location, you can find 50's/20's, or 30's/0's, or 0's/-20 ranges.

IIRC, C-D has charts for this so you can check out specific locations in WY. Or sites such as Weatherspark have historical data and forecast projections.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 PM

I am sorry-does September qualify as a "Shoulder Seasons?"

Old 08-02-2015, 12:24 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,947,804 times
September, most the bugs are gone, most the tourist , might need a sweater morning , evening. Elk are bugling, and getting some color in the trees

Old 08-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingDave View Post
I am sorry-does September qualify as a "Shoulder Seasons?"
Yes.

Highly variable weather possible at this time.

Could be warm/dry. Could see some of the first snowfalls. Could have killing frosts for crops/gardens, this is a Zone 4 gardening area.

In places like YNP, you'll see the start of seasonal shut-downs of some attractions/facilities after Labor Day. Similarly, the Black Hills area of NE WY will start having shut-downs of seasonal tourist attractions. Some campground areas will be shut down for the season after Labor Day weekend, marking the end of high tourist season.

Big game hunting seasons start in late Aug and some in September. For casual camping/hiking, you may wish to avoid these areas. Check the WY F&G website for areas and seasons.

One of my favorite times of the year to explore around WY due to lessened tourist activity, but the trade-off is seasonal tourist business shut-downs and weather related shut-downs/access at the time. Love traveling in my Class B RV at this time ... rarely need the A/C, typically only during the day for a few minutes when the van has sat in a sunny location and heated up the interior. Air temps generally comfortable during the day time travels with the ventilation system and maybe slight use of the vehicle heater; at night, the RV furnace may be needed at higher altitudes.

If you're exploring small towns in WY for possible relocation, a good time of the year to do so, IMO. Of course, you'll want to return during the hard winter season to get a handle on how that clime affects living in those areas then.

FWIW, I have seen folk get their hearts set on a location that was gorgeous in the warmer months, buy land/house there, and discover that it was a virtually ... if not actually ... inaccessible location during the winter months. One family scoffed at my suggestion that their location up on the pass between Cheyenne and Laramie would be difficult to access in the winter months and to "stock up" for the prospect of being stranded there during the winter months. They laughed, thought I was just trying to scare them. The first snowstorm that year stranded them for three days, no big deal. The next storm locked them in with a 2-mile impassable two-track road to their place. After a month, it wasn't funny anymore. They had to have neighbors come in with a snowmobile to get them out; they went directly to town and bought an F-350 4x4 and a snowmobile. Made an arrangement with a neighbor to keep a vehicle at the place and they snowmobiled into their residence from that location, parking the 4x4 there so they could get to town for groceries, medical appt's, etc. At that, they still had a difficult time getting in/out on more than a few times over the next 4 months. Fortunately, they had 2 ea 800 gallon propane tanks filled at the beginning of the season and had that to rely upon for their domestic use and stand-by generator during the winter season. Oh, did I mention that power service to their home was not reliable during the winter months? the wood stove was needed for supplemental heat ... their house was a two-story A-Frame with a huge glass side facing to the West. Gorgeous for summertime views but a bear to heat the living room comfortably in the winter months.

Even here in the county by my ranch in SE WY, we have local roads that can be impassable due to drifted snow in the winter months. Folk in the subdivision near me park their "get to work vehicles" along the county plowed school bus route road and use an ATV or snowmobile to get the last mile or so into their houses when storms/winds are forecast or present. Not unusual to see the older kids transporting the younger ones ("older" being the 11 year olds, and I've seen some of the younger ones using the ATV's, too) to get to the school bus stop and home again. In the warm months, you'll see the "beater" cars and trucks from the families driven by the kids to the school bus stop and parked on the subdivision road.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-02-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Wow! Makes me think September might be a little too rough at the back end. Looking to travel through and capture a lot of the feel of some towns and such; I do have a substantial 4x4 with lift and lockers and don't want to tread too to far off of the beaten path.

Sunspirit, forgive my direct question but would you say you are an "expert" on most of Wyoming? I have a laundry list of specific questions and I need someone with a solid opinion and knowledge to assist my research.

Would you be willing to take more of my generic weather, travel, topography, timing, etc. questions off-line through some IM's? I don't want to clog up the forum here? I promise not to take up too much more of your time.

Thank you,

TD

Old 08-02-2015, 01:58 PM

TD ... I'm as willing as anybody on this forum to be of assistance and possible help to you.

Due to my businesses, real estate investments, and recreational activities, I travel this region extensively via car, RV, and a C-182, so I've got a GA pilot's perspective on weather, topography, and regional travels. Been traveling this area since the 1960's and a full-time resident at my WY farm/ranch since 1999.

From that perspective, I'm no more or less an "expert" than a lot of other posters here on C-D. I'd suggest that you use the C-D search feature to check out similar inquiries to yours, with perhaps a particular view to our late moderator's input, ElkHunter. His insights may be of estimable value to you, he was a long time resident of WY and a native to the region and he had great knowledge and oft-times wonderful perspectives and experiences to relate.

IMO, it's likely that many of your questions and the responses here will be of value to others on the forum. While I'd be happy to answer your specific inquiries via DM on C-D, please consider that many of your topics will get the most responses and opinions here on the open forum.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:58 PM

319 posts, read 483,308 times
Best time to visit Wyoming?

During your lifetime - the younger, the better.

And please shut the gate behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming