Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Where is Pocatello Idaho located? Is it rural living or mostly tract homes there?
You won't find the miles and acres of tract housing in Wyo and ID (or SD, ND, and MT) like you are seeing in California.

I've seen it in the front range area of Colorado and all over the midwest and eastern states. I guess it serves a purpose. I don't want all those folks up here thinking 5 acres is a ranch.

Pocatello is decent small city, IMO. 54,000 and in the southeast portion of Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 05:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Gillette has a wonderful fitness center...the Campbell Co Rec center....and not terribly far to Billings.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Many mid-sized towns have gyms where the members have keys and use them and maintain them any time of day.

I don't like the big box stores. Find I shop for basics rather than convenience items. I used to grocery shop every two months and had neighbors who shopped twice a year. Now I shop once a month just because of my travel schedule.

If you really like the chains and franchise businesses, Wyoming may be found lacking. If you have other reasons you want or need to live here, you may like it. Some do. Some don't.

I hope we don't get those cookie cutter/convenience type businesses.
The main reason I look for a 24 hr. Fitness club is because my membership I have with them is a VIP unlimited membership from 1991 so I pay 1991 rates for a full service club in all their clubs located in the USA.
But since I have been very athletic consistently since 1984 I have seen so many health clubs go under and lots of them get taken over by 24 hr. Fitness. I don't have to worry about losing my membership with them because they are expanding their business.

i.e. Balley's in Pleasant Hill California. One night they just locked the doors no warning no nothing-gone. shut down even the employees showed up for work only to see the doors were locked shut-gone
Gold's Gym-gone

Old 09-07-2015, 11:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Quote:
Where is Pocatello Idaho located? Is it rural living or mostly tract homes there?
Population in 2013: 54,350 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: +5.6%
Southeastern part of Idaho, South of Idaho Falls.
Pocatello is the fifth largest city in the state, just behind Idaho Falls.

//www.city-data.com/city/Pocatello-Idaho.html

Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Population in 2013: 54,350 (100% urban, 0% rural). Population change since 2000: +5.6%
Southeastern part of Idaho, South of Idaho Falls.
Pocatello is the fifth largest city in the state, just behind Idaho Falls.

//www.city-data.com/city/Pocatello-Idaho.html
thank you for this info.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:57 PM

117 posts, read 526,839 times
OP:

From your comments so far in this thread so far, I'd highly recommend that you think long and hard about your other "necessities" for daily life. I highly doubt that Wyoming is going to have much, if any part of your "California Lifestyle" available to you. And to be honest, many of us like it just that way.

No stereotyping intended: this state has chewed up and spit out many a Californians. There's a reason our population is what it is. We are not Colorado.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a42887 View Post
OP:

From your comments so far in this thread so far, I'd highly recommend that you think long and hard about your other "necessities" for daily life. I highly doubt that Wyoming is going to have much, if any part of your "California Lifestyle" available to you. And to be honest, many of us like it just that way.

No stereotyping intended: this state has chewed up and spit out many a Californians. There's a reason our population is what it is. We are not Colorado.
"California Lifestyle"I AM SICK N TIRED OF THE CALIFORNIA LIFESTYLE TOO MANY FISH IN THE TANK WITH NO ROOM TO BREATH, MOVE AND YOU PAY ALOT MORE TO GET LESS FOR YOUR $$$$$$$$$

Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
"California Lifestyle"I AM SICK N TIRED OF THE CALIFORNIA LIFESTYLE TOO MANY FISH IN THE TANK WITH NO ROOM TO BREATH, MOVE AND YOU PAY ALOT MORE TO GET LESS FOR YOUR $$$$$$$$$
Then quit the city slicker health club for a start. Start hiking with your dog. Dump the goofy consumer cars and buy a 4WD pickup or at least an SUV. Plan to spend about 600k and up for a decent country place of forty acres.

Start learning about country living. Learn that you don't need cable television or water and gas from the grid. Learn what kind of survival gear to keep in your truck, what kind of guns to carry. Learn how to do your own research. Stop asking other people and start doing it yourself. Wyoming people are self-reliant. Are you?

Start eating at home. There are few decent restaurants here.

Learn to learn on your own. If you don't you will hate it here. Learn to be alone. If you don't you will hate it here. Learn what do do when there's a power failure. Learn about wood stoves and kerosene heaters.

Visit Wyoming at the end of December or early January. If you don't mind the cold you'll do OK. The temperature can be double digit subzero from early November. It won't be constant, but we do have it. Be sure to visit the grocery stores while you're here. Visit the gourmet stores as well. You can buy Roquefort, Parmiggiano Reggiano, and Humboldt Fog, but you won't find exotic stuff.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
^^^^^^ This, X2.

I'd add that in addition to the winter season cold temps, one should expect blustery gusty strong wind conditions throughout most of the state. Know that winter conditions can present for many more months than this.

The winter inclement weather will affect, possibly limit, your choices for activities, travel, and recreation. Be prepared for the possibility of closed roads during and after the duration of winter storm passages. Understand that even when the roads are open, it doesn't mean that you won't encounter extremely difficult driving conditions from time to time in rural areas.

You need to do an honest and thorough assessment of what is important to you for recreation, entertainment, restaurants, shopping, medical, and travel access. Wyoming will be very limiting and limited compared to CA's excesses. While you may decry that it's too much and too expensive in CA, WY can be stifling for many folk if you're used to the commerce and choices of CA. Towns shut down here for the evening, businesses in tourist areas shut down for the off season, recreation opportunities are closed off or inaccessible, convenience items (take-out or home delivery of food items) might not even be available at all, cultural events/museums can be very limited or non-existent (we've a lot of "cow towns" compared to much of CA).

Take HiW's advice: come visit during the start of the serious winter season. And understand that early January is followed by several more months of the same weather patterns; it can be colder and snowier later in Feb, Mar, April ... and even May can bring some serious amounts of snowfall and winter cold fronts through the region. What many people miss in their disneyized concept of WY is that it's at altitude, much of the state is at or over 6,000' elevation. We've already been seeing sub-freezing temps overnight in the higher countryside and we're just starting into the Fall season and winding down the crop growing season with harvests in progress now as we get ready for winter to follow. Best to anticipate and plan ahead for those months to come some.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-11-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
^^^^^^ This, X2.

I'd add that in addition to the winter season cold temps, one should expect blustery gusty strong wind conditions throughout most of the state. Know that winter conditions can present for many more months than this.

The winter inclement weather will affect, possibly limit, your choices for activities, travel, and recreation. Be prepared for the possibility of closed roads during and after the duration of winter storm passages. Understand that even when the roads are open, it doesn't mean that you won't encounter extremely difficult driving conditions from time to time in rural areas.

You need to do an honest and thorough assessment of what is important to you for recreation, entertainment, restaurants, shopping, medical, and travel access. Wyoming will be very limiting and limited compared to CA's excesses. While you may decry that it's too much and too expensive in CA, WY can be stifling for many folk if you're used to the commerce and choices of CA. Towns shut down here for the evening, businesses in tourist areas shut down for the off season, recreation opportunities are closed off or inaccessible, convenience items (take-out or home delivery of food items) might not even be available at all, cultural events/museums can be very limited or non-existent (we've a lot of "cow towns" compared to much of CA).

Take HiW's advice: come visit during the start of the serious winter season. And understand that early January is followed by several more months of the same weather patterns; it can be colder and snowier later in Feb, Mar, April ... and even May can bring some serious amounts of snowfall and winter cold fronts through the region. What many people miss in their disneyized concept of WY is that it's at altitude, much of the state is at or over 6,000' elevation. We've already been seeing sub-freezing temps overnight in the higher countryside and we're just starting into the Fall season and winding down the crop growing season with harvests in progress now as we get ready for winter to follow. Best to anticipate and plan ahead for those months to come some.
All of those amenties you just mentioned I do not use even though where I live now has that but I don't use those things. San Francisco has all of that and even when I grew up there and lived there for 28 years I didn't go to restaurants or use any of those attractions of what SF is known for. That was when I was working and going to school. Now when I am retired I will be staying home most of the time just like I do now when I am not working. The reason being that there is just too much potential of danger of getting into some kind of confrontation here whether it be automobile or otherwise. It is very easy for trouble to find you and get into a fight, gun fight whatever here because people are so tense, stressed out , wound up and plain rude and malicious. I cannot point to teens, or criminal t ypes or pin it to any particuliars as it is across the board from a woman with her kids in the car to senior citizens. It's everybody. Everyone is just in a rush and they don't want anything or body to get in their way. You can get shot here over a parking space if one ever becomes available that's how bad it has got to be. Plus everyone here accepts all the price increases fees and taxes that keep going up and new taxes being created. The people here in that respect are sheep. They just pay it without question every year or when the increases come up. It's easier that way for them. So some of us are wolfs and will question everything on the bill or price increases, property tax bill etc. The rest are sheep and don't think a thing about it just pay the bill and leave without even checking for example if their car was worked on. I see that all the time. So we have had it. We know t he answer is not here. The answer and solution is to get outta here. Tired of being ripped off.
That's where visiting those key areas of researching will help if the the information is accurate as some people will not particpate or give out inaccurate info because they don't want new people to come in.
The air conditioner will be one of the most important things because I am always too hot. I do better in colder climates. I like lots of rain and fog. I do not care for lots of sun. I do my best to avoid sun. But what ruins life here the most is that there are just too many people where you can't walk without bumping into someone or you cannot drive anywhere without bring stuck in gridlock and the gridlock and hours are getting bigger and longer. Hard not to be late when you have to be somewhere and can't make it on time because of traffic or because there is no parking available or car wrecks since everybody is in a rush. The rates we pay you should get alot more service than what little we get here. So forget it. We have been here too long and have seen all the changes and even worse changes coming with more tax increases and new taxes they are creating here along with all fee increases. If you want a bag to carry the groceries you just bought from the store you pay extra for those bags or you bring your own-simply rediculous and unheard of because we have always been able to get bags and now you must bag groceryis are self at some stores. Plastic bags have been banned. San Francisco has no more gun shops and has banned hollow point bullets. You will be fined if you put the wrong items in recycle containers. These extreme environmentalists are crazy and just making up more things /restrictions and more things we must pay for. "In the name of saving the environment which is crap" "It's to the best interests of the children. They use these excuses all the time then somehow when it passes by the people if its by vote those funds get used for something else or are misappropriated. That's why the roads here are crap and ruin our cars.
"They can create more jobs by doing this recycle thing but it has got out of hand. I wonder when they will start to charge us for using shopping carts? We have environmental terrorists here in the government.
So it is time to get out..too dangerous driving here without getting hit and or tailgated all the time. It isn't worth it anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming