Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times

Advertisements

Like the title said I'm looking to move from Northern California to Wyoming things I have questions about is where is the best place to live there currently I work in construction have done a variety o stuff tile work some framing currently I the union doing ceilings mostly commercial and residential and am planning to continue to do so there what towns have a lot of construction jobs open and how hard is it to pay for a place to live with the income out there also into 4 wheeling I there places around Wyoming trails and such to go to? Any info helps thanks

Last edited by Esharp78; 09-30-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
A couple of observations (you didn't mention a specific trade or craft or type of work you do in the construction industry):

1) recent cut-backs in the extractive industries throughout the state have left a number of folk here with trades experience laid off. IOW, you've got a fair amount of competition right now for "construction" jobs with folk already here who may have connections to those jobs.

2) a lot of the trades work can be seasonal, and we're now heading into the last month or so of favorable weather before the winter sets in. Some major commercial projects just wrapped up, such as the new WalMart in Cheyenne, although Sierra Trading Post just started the tilt-up prestress concrete walls phase of their new warehouse addition ... perhaps those folk are still hiring.

3) Suggest you visit the WyomingatWork site for current listings of job openings, or

4) do a bit of research on the larger contractors in the region and contact them directly re job openings

5) Wyoming has a lot of public lands, some of which are open to 4-wheeling. You need to look up such resources on a Wyoming Gazeteer map, or do a bit of research on-line about popular places to do so in this state.

It is possible to make a decent living here working in the construction trades, but the first hurdle is finding work and then finding affordable housing to match it. "the best place to live" will be the one where you have a job with a livable income for the area. You will find that portions of WY will not have the combination you seek even if you do have a construction job. OTOH, if you can get on with your skills into the extractive industries, it's possible to see $100K incomes for some of the jobs.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-30-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM

322 posts, read 587,282 times
It depends upon what skill set[s] you have in the construction industry. I am in regular contact with some of the larger general contractors [buildings] in NE Wyoming and I've been told that extraction worker skills are not generally transferable, beyond laborers, to building construction. They have had little success with the recently laid off oil field workers.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 PM

11 posts, read 18,410 times
Casper area was hot with construction until recently. Now construction is very slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: