Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 05:18 AM

4 posts, read 7,209 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have a few questions about Wyoming. Actually my husband and me living in Florida. We will like to move to Wyoming. I'm working in a post office I can be transfert where I want my husband work in building materials warehouse worked before on a road construction and cable installation. We are not sure where to move in a state. We love nature quiet hunting fishing hiking. We don't mind to live little far from a city until we can go to the supermarket at lease few times a week. We will like to buy house with some land the budget is not more as $300000 for house. If anyone can give me some advice on different places. I will be very happy. By the way sorry if I make mistake in my English I'm French. Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,457 times
I would suggest going where the jobs are. Wyoming has a low unemployment rate right now. I'm up in Powell, in the northwest part of the state. My town is about 6000, and I'm about an hour and a half from Billings, MT. There are not a lot of jobs in my area right now-work can be seasonal, especially road construction. There is a company called Diamond Truss just outside of Powell, in Ralston that hires often.
Additionally, there is a gypsum plant in Cody and one in Lovell that hire on a regular basis, it seams.

There's hiking, fishing, and all that implies in my area; we are close to the Beartooth Mountains and the Big Horns. This past week we went up to Meadowlark Lake in the Big Horns to get our Christmas tree(s). A permit from the Forest Service runs us 8 bucks per tree...cannot beat that!

Most towns will have a supermarket; Powell has 2, but we're only 25 minutes from Cody, where there is a Super Wal Mart. Additionally, Billings has a Costco, and we go there about twice a month.

300k for land and a house may not go too far in Powell or Cody. I'm sure there are some homes out there, but this part of Park County is pricey to me. We're from Texas, and experienced some sticker shock when we moved here. Big Horn county is nice and towns like Cowley, Byron, Greybull, and Manderson will offer land values at better prices. I personally really like Greybull..it's close to the mountains and has a nice feel to it. As much as I like Powell, I almost with we would have settled in Greybull.

There's also more populated areas like Casper, Cheyenne, and Laramie. I don't know much about Casper. I've lived in Laramie and I LOVED the town. I didn't love the wind. But Laramie is a good sized town and it's close to Ft. Collins and Denver (about 2 hours) for bigger shopping and to get a break from the wind. Cheyenne is the capitol, and more jobs, particularly government jobs will be more abundant up there.

I suggest looking at Wyomingatwork.com and Indeed for jobs. Good luck...this is a great forum to ask questions.

I would suggest prioritizing your needs: jobs, housing cost, proximity to recreational activities.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
IF you haven't been to Wyoming, then I'd suggest that you need to visit this area before making any decision about moving here. It will certainly be a major change from Florida in many ways, the climate being among them.

Perhaps you'll make a few inquiries about jobs here and then focus your Wyoming travels upon the locations where you've found those opportunities.

Do keep an eye on your prospective income against the costs of living in a given town.

Consider that you'll likely not want to be making several trips a week for shopping if you live in a rural town. It's more efficient and common to consolidate your trips into a larger shopping trip only a couple times per month at the most.

Wyoming's rural USPS system recently went through a downsizing for cost savings, and there are fewer jobs than in years past. We used to have 4 full-time PO's in our area with postmasters at each facility. They were "clean-up" PO's where all the mail received each day was cased and delivered. Now they do what they can part-time and if it means mail will be kept over for another day, that's what happens. Our area only has 1 full-time PO and 1 postmaster now, and the remaining PO's are operated part-time by staff hires, not postmasters. There's still job turnover there, but at lower paid positions and only part time work.

A $300,000 housing budget can still buy a house on acreage in the Cheyenne outlying areas.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 PM

Thank you for your help. We plan to visit the state after the season in Florida to see where we want. I was asking now but if we like we will move end of the next year. Thank you again.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
IF you haven't been to Wyoming, then I'd suggest that you need to visit this area before making any decision about moving here. It will certainly be a major change from Florida in many ways, the climate being among them.

Perhaps you'll make a few inquiries about jobs here and then focus your Wyoming travels upon the locations where you've found those opportunities.

Do keep an eye on your prospective income against the costs of living in a given town.

Consider that you'll likely not want to be making several trips a week for shopping if you live in a rural town. It's more efficient and common to consolidate your trips into a larger shopping trip only a couple times per month at the most.

Wyoming's rural USPS system recently went through a downsizing for cost savings, and there are fewer jobs than in years past. We used to have 4 full-time PO's in our area with postmasters at each facility. They were "clean-up" PO's where all the mail received each day was cased and delivered. Now they do what they can part-time and if it means mail will be kept over for another day, that's what happens. Our area only has 1 full-time PO and 1 postmaster now, and the remaining PO's are operated part-time by staff hires, not postmasters. There's still job turnover there, but at lower paid positions and only part time work.

A $300,000 housing budget can still buy a house on acreage in the Cheyenne outlying areas.
I have to agree. You might want to visit during the winter months to be sure of the climate.
Feb-Apr seems to get the most snow from what i have followed over the past three to four years.
Check out this link. WYDOT Travel Information Service (Laramie)
Also go online to the weather channel for the forecasts.
It might help, to monitor the weather, but you will have to be in the winter weather to fully grasp the change. Hope this helps. I will have to go through the same trip myself one day soon. In winter!!
Best of luck.
Scott

Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 AM

I have one more question. Do anyone have some agency name for buying home. I Know few national agency but if anyone have like local or smaller agency name. Thank you.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dororob View Post
I have one more question. Do anyone have some agency name for buying home. I Know few national agency but if anyone have like local or smaller agency name. Thank you.
My experience ... and that confirmed by a number of friends ... is that the real estate agency industry in Wyoming is a very inferior service compared to the level of professionalism and ethics that you expect in other states.

As well, without knowing where in Wyoming you are looking for real estate, it's not feasible to recommend an agent covering the whole state.

For what it's worth, you might want to look online at some of the regional real estate publications with the ads/listings such as "Homes and Land" in the Wyoming area. At the least, you'll get an idea of some of the featured properties around the state by various real estate agencies, the asking prices, and real estate agent contact information.

I have a trusted Colorado based agent (who I've done repeat business with for over 35 years) who is licensed to do business in Wyoming, but it's not a good use of his time to bring him in until you have a better idea of where in Wyoming you'd consider buying real estate.

PS: avoid the mass marketed Wyoming land deals that you see online. For the most part, these are not very good properties and the marketing is far better than the product for sale.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM

Thank you for your advise.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:43 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,542 times
You can try using one of the national real estate sites (trulia, etc), but until you know where you are going, you may want to just visit first. You can also search for jobs on Wyomingatwork to see what is available and help you narrow down ideas on specific areas. Bon chance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming