Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are contemplating a move to Wyoming. After some research Cody is coming up as my first choice for a few reasons. I like space (a lot of space), don't like crowded cities or heavy traffic and don't need big shopping malls, but I like some restaurants and small town life and a movie theater (love movies!).

The biggest question remains to me about the horse community.

I've googled and googled and all I can find are horses for sale. There seems to be no information on trails, trail accessibility and the horse community in general in Cody. How easy are the trails to get to? I would prefer to ride off the property and not have to trailer like I do now, which I really dislike. Not only do I have to trailer to trails here, they are generally crowded with very inconsiderate mountain bikers. Is there an area that is better for trails right off the property? Is there a horseman's association like we have here? They put on trail rides, shows and gymkhanas.

I would prefer not to get too far out. Although the highway past the reservoir toward Wapiti is gorgeous, I'm afraid I'd be too remote. It'd be nice to have people/neighbors to trail ride with. I also do barrel racing and pole bending.

Thanks in advance for any advice and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:10 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
I think you'd like it here very much, although anything 'west' of Wapiti is rather exclusive. You'd need somewhat 'deep pockets' to live in that country. Shortly, you'll likely be hearing from someone who lives up that way; she can fill you in more than I can.

Southfork valley is full of horse-people, there is a club-arena here (just down the driveway from where I am now) and there is some activity there, but nothing near what I would suspect happens during warmer months.

Trail-head's abound, going farther south (into the 'South-Fork' of the Shoshone river) and as you go west (into the 'North-Fork'). I don't know how the fencelines/sub-divisions have cris-crossed the Diamond-Basin the last time I did anything horse-related there (15 yrs ago) but the traffic coming in and out of the Southfork is rather thick...so...I think it'd be a matter of getting to know people and the trails/trail-heads would be learned quickly.

Google-Earth is a great resource, for looking down from above...and you can travel along street-view to check out the store-fronts...etc....there is a very nice movie-theatre here; even with such a small (but growing) population the theatre-owner has easily procured himself a copy of the newest 'Star-Wars' movie, so...that gives you an idea of how 'current' the shows are. Good restaurants. My favorites are 'Proud-Cut Saloon' and 'Irma'. There is a nice selection of tack-stores/feed/ag-supply outlets in this region, as well.

Come visit; next summer the Park will be open 'free of charge' a few times, in celebration of it's 100 yrs in existence. Good excuse to see the park, and then 'tool' around Cody, visit with some realtors afterwards !

That's about all I can say for now.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Like most of Wyoming, Cody has everything from working cowboys and ranchers to people who like to play with their horses and tarps. Usually women who barrel race and run poles are in every town. I can't think of anywhere that doesn't have that at their fairs.

The public land that has trails does get mountain bikers, 4-wheelers, and hikers. I imagine they run the gamut typical for people everywhere.

Cody is a pretty nice place, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: