Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,988 times

Advertisements

I'll be working in the Rock Springs area in a few weeks and would like to do two things.

1. Drive to Riverton to see family
2. Drive to Utah for an afternoon skiing.

I've noticed on the Department of Transportation site today that chains are mandatory for the trip across South Pass. How often does that happen? Is it an all winter thing or just when storms roll through?

I also saw that the "Green River Tunnels" on I80 are also closed. Again - is this common?

Lastly - IF all the roads are bad and I can't get out... what is there to do in RS for someone who loves to be outdoors?

(I am familiar with the road conditions, have made a few winter trips between JH and Riverton and lived in Casper for 7 years - but I haven't been to the SW part of the state since I was a little kid.)

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Since you know about the WYDOT internet information, you can track the seasonal road conditions as well as the rest of us. Try doing that for awhile, and watch the weather forecast in the area for a few weeks .... you'll get an idea of how this area is faring each year.

Keep in mind that our snowiest months are stll ahead. With the storm fronts blowing through, it can be a frequent experience to see the roads shut down, or very hazardous to drive. You'll be arriving just in time for the worst of the winter weather season.

Considering that you've got a good 4 hours drive from RS to Park City in average winter conditions, you'll still need an early start for just an afternoon of skiing. Is it worth that?

When the weather closes in on RS, and the roads are shut down ... you can stay at home, or stand around outside in the cold and snow and low visibility. Or head for the WalMart or other favorite big store in the area. Or head for your local favorite bar. That's pretty much all that the locals do unless they're at work. There simply isn't much to do outside or in when the roads shut down ... you won't be out snowmobiling or skiing in these conditions, and it's not very pleasant outside when the wind chill is in the minus double digit ranges and you can barely stand up against the wind.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
Sunspirit echo's truth. Even for the "outdoorsy" types. Wyoming will make you stay inside sometimes. So be prepared to do it. I have wood working, leather craft, knifemaking, ect. Small stuff to do if you don't have a large place to play inside.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,970 times
If I remember correctly the chain law means you have to have chains with you but not necessarily on the tires ? And was mostly enforced for the big hauling trucks ? In my years of driving those roads I never had to put the chains on. If it got that bad they would just close the roads.
If you get stuck in RS. they have a nice rec center. It's not outdoors but will keep ya busy. Also a small museum downtown and a college.
I don't remember the tunnels being closed that often. The bad part about them is that if the roads are wet the cars entering will drip water into the tunnel. As the cold air sets in this water freezes. So it is real easy to slide upon entering the tunnels then hit the dry pavement in the middle and wreck. So beware.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Wyomiles,

That's a good question. Here's what it says:

What is known as the chain law states that, "Travel on a highway may be restricted to all-wheel-drive vehicles or motor vehicles equipped with tire chains or adequate snow tires when the superintendent or his authorized representative determines that travel is sufficiently hazardous due to snow, ice, or other conditions."

So, equipped???? Does that mean ya got em in the trunk, or ya got em on the tires. hahaha And what are "adequate" snow tires? Studded, or just really good snow tires?

They always make the laws really vague so the HP can pick on you if they want to. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming