Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 AM

3 posts, read 13,449 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of property taxes...tired of mowing the grass...tired of spending all of my time keeping an old house in shape (back in Missouri). Selling it all (or giving it to the kids and telling them its all "family heirlooms" they have to hang on to)...and hitting the road in a motorhome.

For the past 34 years, I have worked in the outdoor industry - as an outdoor writer (magazine articles and books) and as an outdoor product marketing director/manager. I plan to continue that work (on the go) as I do my darndest to wear out a low mileage motorhome within the borders of Wyoming...and when that one is used up, I'll get another. Working on a deal right now to write a weekly outdoor column/page for a chain of syndicated newspapers in the state. Any of you got any ideas about great shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, wildlife viewing, photography, and other outdoor related topic article ideas I should check out?

Also, I plan to live out of that motorhome for at least the first year...and would like a new backyard at least every month. If you know of some excellent RV parks with monthly rates, I would certainly appreciate the info.

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 09:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
Dude, In wyoming you can park your motorhome in the campgrounds in the national forest and on blm land. And stay for two weeks. Alot of them are free. Also there is usually a KOA type campground in most towns. Just pick out one on the map. Do a internet site search for that town. And get the lay of the land. Just remember that the weather in wyoming can bring rain or snow at almost any time. And your motorhome might be mud bound until the roads dry out or if in winter. The snow might keep it in the same spot for the winter. I seen more than one camper that was used for hunting season. stay there because they didn't get it out when it started snowing. And when the critters have their way with a camper all winter, sometimes it's a total loss.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:14 AM

14 posts, read 60,668 times
Default To Live The Outdoor Life

Thanks Shadowwalker.

I'm not new to Wyoming...been spending time there every year for the past 40 years. Several years, I even took the exam to get my guide license so I could guide hunters for an outfitter friend near Buffalo.

I've fished, hunted and camped in every area of the state. And it is all of that Federal land that has prompted me to just make the state my home. I'll either base myself out of the Buffalo area or out of Laramie. Either way, I intend to remain very mobile...and if the weather gets too darn harsh come February and March (and I can still get out)...I have a friend in Texas who has offered to let me spend a couple of months each winter on his ranch.

Over the years, I have written no less than a hundred magazine articles about hunting in Wyoming. And I've also spotlighted the hunting there in some of the books I've written. It will be writing about the outdoors that will keep gas in the tank of what will become a very mobile home.

Looking forward to making the move this spring.

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader

Old 11-25-2006, 11:52 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
Sounds like a enviable life for sure. Both of those are good places to "summer" in. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:15 PM

81 posts, read 469,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'out View Post
Toby-at-Large
Are you Toby Bridges? I've got one of your books on Antelope hunting. I give it two thumbs up. I prefer a flintlock for my black powder hunting. Inlines give me the creeps, but to each his own. That's what makes America great (a plethora of firearms to chose from and the freedom to do so).

Old 11-30-2006, 10:07 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,324 times
Hay muzzleloader, do you rendezvous ? You could find all sorts of tall hunting stories at the rendezvous in Wyoming. Also ,ever heard of Boston T. Party ?
If your interested in either of these let me know and I can hook you up. Wyomiles

Old 12-02-2006, 11:59 PM

49 posts, read 210,222 times
I would check out Lander, Buffalo, and Pinedale. All have some type of fishing, camping, and great views. I'd like to see more articles on touring style kayaking, myself. Hunting, I don't know much about. There is a big ice fishing derby just out of Casper at the pathfinder res. in late Jan. every year, and there is a true Jeep/ 4x4 trail out of Lander headed to Christina Lake which is like finding a hidden oasis, but be warned, you need a lifted vehicle you don't mind denting, and skill to get there, it is a great hike as well. I would look outside of Buffalo in the big horn mtns. for moose, or downtown Pinedale! The hole in the wall area out of Kaycee, WY is pretty country, too. KAO's can run $300 or a bit more but it is true that you can camp in public land, you just won't have hookups, and many spots charge $7 a day or by the week and have stay limits of a week. I would look up more info with WY Game and Fish, the BLM, and the local sheriff to find out more. I will warn you, though, many Wyomingites don't love the Colorado hunters taking away hunting tags and fishing their blue river spots, I don't think you'll get anything but a friendly reception but if you have green plates you might want to change them! And do not tresspass on private property or ranches, I'm sure you know this but there are a lot of gun owners who feel very territorial and don't want anyone even walking near their land, get a good map before taking backroads and camping, sounds obvious, but I've even caught people setting campfire rings in the woods on private property, had it been my neighbor down the road, they would have had a shotgun in their nose asking them to leave! Sounds extreme, but with cabin break-ins and poaching, people get involved and even a bit suspicious. Don't let this scare you, just be respectful and bring a camera, maybe chains, a tow rope, and don't speed near Wheatland!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:22 PM

81 posts, read 469,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Hay muzzleloader, do you rendezvous ? You could find all sorts of tall hunting stories at the rendezvous in Wyoming. Also ,ever heard of Boston T. Party ?
If your interested in either of these let me know and I can hook you up. Wyomiles
I've read one of Boston's books. I'd like to buy all of them. I go to rendezvous. Ours are more F&I and Revolutionary war era here in Michigan. War of 1812 is gaining interest. I build flintlock longrifles. I've built a Hawkin, that is probably the gun of choice at western events.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:23 PM

43 posts, read 146,974 times
Lemme know when you're in the C rook County area. I'd like to meet up and buy ya lunch!

(apparently "C rook" is a naughty word??)

Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 20,746 times
Talking Re: movin' out

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'out View Post
Thanks Shadowwalker.

I'm not new to Wyoming...been spending time there every year for the past 40 years. Several years, I even took the exam to get my guide license so I could guide hunters for an outfitter friend near Buffalo.

I've fished, hunted and camped in every area of the state. And it is all of that Federal land that has prompted me to just make the state my home. I'll either base myself out of the Buffalo area or out of Laramie. Either way, I intend to remain very mobile...and if the weather gets too darn harsh come February and March (and I can still get out)...I have a friend in Texas who has offered to let me spend a couple of months each winter on his ranch.

Over the years, I have written no less than a hundred magazine articles about hunting in Wyoming. And I've also spotlighted the hunting there in some of the books I've written. It will be writing about the outdoors that will keep gas in the tank of what will become a very mobile home.

Looking forward to making the move this spring.

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader
I too, am moving to the wilderness. I figure that at this stage in my life (53), it is time to live the dream I have had since I was 17. The kids are grown and gone. I'm divorced so there isn't anything holding me back. Nothing except that I have spent my life in the city (I'm in Houston) but, I know how to shoot, how to read and not afraid to step-out and live.

I love this forum as I have found a lot of good information here!

CW
Not standing outside the fire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming