Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 19,355 times

Advertisements

So I posted before I'm moving to Cheyenne, quick question. How is the traffic in the area and how busy is Cheyenne. I'm currently living in a super congested area(Navarre Florida) where this is 40k people tucked into 12 miles. Everyday is bumper to bumper traffic, restaurants are super packed. I'm just ready for peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 08:49 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
The amount of traffic isn't too bad, it's what you would expect for a town that size.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Cheyenne is the premiere city in Wyoming. One of the biggest metropolis. You will find traffic congested, bumper to bumper during peak rush hour traffic every leap year that coincides with a lunar eclipse. So be careful.

Cheyenne is very quiet unless the trains are running which is only between 10 PM and 4 am in the morning.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:56 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
You'll find the traffic in the Cheyenne area to be non-existent compared to where you live now.

Even on a busy traffic day, the main arterials of Lincolnway, College, Dell Range, and Warren move along. In the worst traffic, it may take two light cycles to get through an intersection along these areas ... typically because a driver or two isn't paying attention when the light turns.

For the most part, you can get across Cheyenne in less than 10 minutes. Parking in the Dell Range Shopping Mall area or even downtown is rarely full up.

Restaurants, OTOH, will be a big change. In all candor, that sector of the hospitality business here sucks. Be prepared for pre-pack or restaurant convenience foods from the big purveyors (Sysco, etc) that are essentially "heat and serve" items, even for the main entrees such as a portion of prime rib at a top tier restaurant. The alternatives are the typical fast food storefronts, which abound here. There are a few ... less than a handful ... of restaurants here that really do scratch cooking from quality ingredients; of these, a couple are "OK", and a couple are so-so. It's telling that one of the best values and meals in town is the food service in the dining hall at LCCC, which is open to the public. There's reasons why so many folk here head down to Ft Collins for a much improved restaurant scene if they have the time for dining out.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:06 PM

Thank you guys, I'm actually very much looking forward to the slow paced. My fiancé and I are counting down the days. As I type this the roads are shut down due to an accident. Are there any other places to shop for grocerys and essentials then Walmart? I'm not expecting nor want a massive shopping mall

Old 05-28-2016, 04:55 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
There's the assortment of "box stores" here which should fulfill most of your ordinary shopping requirements. King Sooper's, Albertson's, Safeway (which was merged with Albertson's recently, IIRC and they've already closed the Cole Shopping Center Safeway ... a very old store, small sq footage). As well, Sam's Club, and some staples at places like Menard's or Target or K-Mart.

More shopping options present in Ft Collins with Whole Paycheck, a few independents, and the Kroger presence here is a big deal. Costco there, too. May be worth your while to do a shopping trip down that way once every few months and stock up on non-perishables.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:05 PM

234 posts, read 267,021 times
I have been in Cheyenne for 3 years and I love the (nearly non-existent) traffic compared to where I lived in North Carolina. Even during the 'holiday rush' in December, Dell Range Blvd ("the busiest street in Wyoming" I have been told) is nothing compared to everyday traffic in most cities of this size.

I second the previous comments about 10 minutes to get from one side of Cheyenne to the other (maybe 15 minutes max). Likewise the comments about restaurants here. If you are big into dining out you will probably want to visit Fort Collins regularly as the variety and quality are MUCH higher than what Cheyenne offers.

Cheyenne is not without it's weaknesses, but overall I really enjoy the quiet life here. People generally mind their own business, crime is very low compared to other states I have lived in, traffic is mild and all of your basic life needs retail-wise are available here.

If your life revolves around fine dining, mild weather, and 'retailing' (i.e. spend lots of money at high-end retail shops), then Cheyenne is probably not for you.

Hope you enjoy Cheyenne and Wyoming. It's not for everybody, but it is a great place for people who enjoy what it offers.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighterDays View Post
I have been in Cheyenne for 3 years and I love the (nearly non-existent) traffic compared to where I lived in North Carolina. Even during the 'holiday rush' in December, Dell Range Blvd ("the busiest street in Wyoming" I have been told) is nothing compared to everyday traffic in most cities of this size.

I second the previous comments about 10 minutes to get from one side of Cheyenne to the other (maybe 15 minutes max). Likewise the comments about restaurants here. If you are big into dining out you will probably want to visit Fort Collins regularly as the variety and quality are MUCH higher than what Cheyenne offers.

Cheyenne is not without it's weaknesses, but overall I really enjoy the quiet life here. People generally mind their own business, crime is very low compared to other states I have lived in, traffic is mild and all of your basic life needs retail-wise are available here.

If your life revolves around fine dining, mild weather, and 'retailing' (i.e. spend lots of money at high-end retail shops), then Cheyenne is probably not for you.

Hope you enjoy Cheyenne and Wyoming. It's not for everybody, but it is a great place for people who enjoy what it offers.
The busiest road was the 59 from Douglas to Wright. A year ago you took your life in your hands if you tried to cross and it was just plain luck you made it from one end to the other without seeing a wreck. But today you can take a nap on it and not worry.... Dell range still isnt that busy thou.
Pretty much any street in casper will put it to shame.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:43 AM

I'm the complete opposite, I like making my own meals, camping and hiking and being outdoors. I don't really shop at malls except for what I NEED. Can't wait to be there

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
I have a brother who lives in Cheyenne. Whenever I go to visit him, one of the first things I notice is the lack of traffic on the roads (although, I live in Denver, so I come with the perspective of driving in big city traffic daily). Another thing that always strikes me about Cheyenne (and Wyoming drivers in general) is how sloooowww they drive. Colorado drivers are a lot more aggressive, especially in Denver, but the drivers in Cheyenne are very laid back. It sounds like you are hoping for a slower pace, which Cheyenne delivers.

Cheyenne sounds like a good fit for you. There are plenty of "big box" shopping options and a nice, decent sized mall with several clothing stores (JCPenney, Dillards, Sears, etc). There's a good sized Barnes & Noble if you like reading and plenty of grocery stores. One thing that is nice about Cheyenne is its proximity to Fort Collins, a larger city about 45 minutes south. Fort Collins has lots of good restaurants and more shopping options if you need them. And, Denver is about 1 1/2 hours south if you want to go to a sporting event, concert, etc.

I think that you'll find Cheyenne to be a decent sized community with plenty of amenities, but very slow and unrushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming