Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
Thanks for the information! Does anyone know of a website that would tell me how much registration would cost?
Laramie County has a neat online calculator here:

Laramie County (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
TGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
Well, this thread has enlightened me to an issue I had not thought of before. I will be moving to Wyoming in April or May - my tags expire in April. I thought about trading cars about the time my tags expire - two year old car - about time for new tires.
Does anyone know if you get a refund on the canceled registration? Are cars the same price in all states?
Not sure about your state, however Wyoming will give you a prorated refund of registration fees, but you must return both license plates that were issued.

It's not very much if you only have a couple of months left. For Example, if you paid $150 for registration, that only comes out to $12.50 a month, so if you had two months left on your plates when you turned them back in - you would only get $25.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM

59 posts, read 226,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Not sure about your state, however Wyoming will give you a prorated refund of registration fees, but you must return both license plates that were issued.

It's not very much if you only have a couple of months left. For Example, if you paid $150 for registration, that only comes out to $12.50 a month, so if you had two months left on your plates when you turned them back in - you would only get $25.
Wyoming does not give refunds for unused portions of vehicle registrations. They will give credit towards the purchase of new plates. I just traded 2 cars in for 1 new car and had 8 months left on both sets of plates. I only got credit for 1 set of plates and the other set are in my garage collecting dust.
Temporary workers are not required to register their vehicles regardless how long they will work here. Only if they claim residency ie, buy a house, open a local bank account etc. There are literally hundreds of temp workers in Campbell county and so many out of state plates we are a melting pot of the country for all the work going on here.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Yeah, the law kind of contradics itself. In one place it says you have to get plates upon getting a job. Then in another place it says "If your a temporary resident of less then 120 days, you do not need to get plates."

Which is it?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Fallen City, had to look that up on a map. Never heard of it. What's it like over there?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hare View Post
Fallen City, had to look that up on a map. Never heard of it. What's it like over there?
haha I live in Sheridan. Fallen City is a mountain that one hole portion slid down and exposed a bunch of large square (60-130 ft tall) rocks sticking out. When you drive by, it looks like a city built on the side of a mountain.

It's located about 25 miles out of Sheridan as you head up the face of the mountain.

But, there is a large sign that says "Fallen City" and a turn out so you can take pictures.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM

50 posts, read 169,242 times
ElkHunter, do you know the name of that establishment that is across the street from the Mint in the old firehouse???

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM
TGM

Default Registration for Temp Workers

Quote:
Wyoming does not give refunds for unused portions of vehicle registrations. They will give credit towards the purchase of new plates. I just traded 2 cars in for 1 new car and had 8 months left on both sets of plates. I only got credit for 1 set of plates and the other set are in my garage collecting dust.
I stand corrected. I was told they give "refunds", but perhaps they should use the word "credit" instead so it doesn't make it look like you are going to get cash back. Thanks for pointing out that difference.

Quote:
Temporary workers are not required to register their vehicles regardless how long they will work here. Only if they claim residency ie, buy a house, open a local bank account etc. There are literally hundreds of temp workers in Campbell county and so many out of state plates we are a melting pot of the country for all the work going on here.
I'll take the hit on the first comment, however must disagree with you on this one. Upon becoming a resident OR upon employment in the State of Wyoming, you must register your vehicle, or obtain temporary registration / 90 day sticker. Exceptions to this is the full time student or active duty military.

Here is the law:

§ 31-2-201. Required applications
(iii) Upon becoming a resident in the case of a previous nonresident owner;
(iv) Notwithstanding paragraph (iii) of this subsection, immediately if the operator of a vehicle operated in this state is:

(A) Employed in this state, except that a temporary worker displaying a valid registration or license plate from another jurisdiction employed in the state for ninety (90) days or less may choose to purchase a decal (temporary registration) from the county treasurer in lieu of registering the vehicle. Application for the decal shall be made to the county treasurer in the manner and form prescribed by the department. The decal shall bear a distinctive number assigned to the vehicle and expiration date and at all times be prominently displayed on the vehicle during the relevant time period in a manner prescribed by the department. The purchase of a decal shall be an alternative to complying with W.S. 31-2-206(m). No person shall be issued more than one (1) decal in a twelve (12) month period. Fees collected under this subsection shall be deposited in the county general fund. Operating a vehicle with an expired decal shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), by imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both. The fee for a temporary decal shall be thirty-five dollars ($35.00) for ninety (90) days;

§ 31-2-206. Annual renewal; delivery of license plates and stickers; staggered registration.

(m) Upon compliance with W.S. 39-15-107(b) and 39-16-107(b), if applicable, a nonresident owner of a vehicle, or any owner upon transfer of ownership or lease, may, as an alternative to registration, obtain not more than one (1) temporary registration in a twelve (12) month period authorizing operation of the vehicle on the highways of this state for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days from the date of temporary registration, in lieu of payment of the annual registration fees in W.S. 31-3-101. Application for temporary registration shall be made to the county treasurer in the manner and form prescribed by the department. A temporary registration under this subsection shall not be considered an initial registration under paragraph (j)(ii) of this section. The fee for temporary registration shall be an amount equal to the following fractions of the annual registration fees for the vehicle required under W.S. 31-3-101:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
The State Patrol is not going to stop everyone displaying out of state plates just to see if they are in compliance with the law. If they are pulled over for another violation, employment will most likely be asked about, and they could then receive a citation or a warning. I personally give a warning most of the time for the 1st offense, however all warnings are logged in WHP dispatch, and if they are stopped again by a Trooper anywhere in the state, they will receive a citation if the temporary registration (or sticker) has not been obtained.

If you still have questions, call your local county treasurer's office or your local division of the Wyoming Highway Patrol.

TGM
Wyoming State Trooper
Division J

Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM

I stand corrected on the LEGAL aspect of temp workers registering. This is obviously a minor law that is overlooked in this area due to the lack of workforce. The city of Gillette even allows workers to live in campers on jobsites because the lack of housing.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,104 times
So, if I want to take advantage of the no state tax deal - I call myself a resident and get WY plates. Bound to cost much less than the tax I pay in Arkansas! At least I no longer I have my prized "Do Art" tags. They got me out of more tickets. Troopers would pull up - see my tags - flick their lights on and then off or pass me and wave. Of course I would always give them a nice wave and smile. Probably saved me thousands!!

There is no way the State Police can make a habit of stopping cars with out of state tags due to the high number of tourists. Not everybody is coming to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming