Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:18 PM

23 posts, read 48,636 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to apply for a transfer to Cheyenne. I'm mid 50s, male, divorced, straight, nerdy, geeky, play jazz (bass and guitar), have two teens that spend summers and holidays with me (their mother lives on the East Coast). Grew up in Iowa, I've lived in MN, MI, OH, IN, VA, MS and currently Northern California.

I am a well educated professional - BA and MA - and I make very good money and have a stable position... From perusing the information on Cheyenne, I'm not so concerned about the weather - after 9 years in CA I'm fed up with the endless hot summers and endless parade of homeless and just skankiness in general you see throughout California, even in the nice areas. That said, I would like to be able to still play music once in a while, attend art stuff. I realize that WY may not be a good match for me, but I've been told by other folks that I would fit in better "than you think"... I hesitate because my perception of Wyoming is as a place of lots of freedom - which is good - to do stuff that I don't do LOL.

I dislike horses/do not ride at all, I don't hunt, fish, own guns - its fine if other people do all of these things - I am an agnostic so I'm not terribly interested in any church related activities - and I'm also concerned that the dating pool is going to be very, VERY small (yes, I know you have to drive in the Mountain West, Laramie and Ft. Collins aren't that far, etc., Denver is there for the weekends). I do hike sometimes, I like to lift (are there any gyms?) ride my bike and power walk, and I know Cheyenne has a nice greenway system. But I'm also as I said, artsy, geeky, I have ink, piercings, and I don't want to get harrassed because I look like some artsy fartsy liberal when I'm actually a socially libertarian conservative. You do your thing, I'll do mine, let's withhold our criticism, and we will all get along beautifully.

But having grown up in Iowa, I know about winter, I do miss the small town friendliness (even if the entire state is about as interesting as stale vanilla pudding culturally), and I've gotten weary of the traffic and "California attitudes" of entitlement and passive-aggressive behavior. As well as crime everywhere, all the time, and public transit to work being very unsafe to ride regardless of where you live. At times it feels like even in wealthy areas of California you are just about to get shot in some gang related brouhaha.

And housing is ridiculously overpriced for what little you get.

I stand probably a very good chance of competing for and being offered the job, but I don't want to pull up stakes, move, and find out after a year that its not my thing, either. (The lack of a statewide ban on indoor smoking is a huge - huge deal killer for me). I would appreciate all opinions. I've had several people who've been to Wyoming speak highly of it, but I don't want to move someplace where I'm even more alone than I am here amongst millions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 03:37 PM

99 posts, read 149,203 times
Howdy, Lifelong Wyoming resident (still living here).

A couple thoughts. I think Cheyenne is a rotten city. It seems too large, traffic is a nightmare, and there are too many transients due to its position on I-80 and I-25. BUT, I grew up on a ranch in the middle of nowhere then lived in a town with a population of five. To me, Cheyenne is a giant city devoid of what I like (Guns, hiking, 4wheeling, etc).

So, it sounds like you may be more at home. Having traveled all over the country numerous times, I'm not unaware that my sense of size and "filth" is skewed when it comes to most places. Compared to California, you will think Cheyenne is a small town LOL. I'm sure you will find the traffic and transient population to be but a fraction OF A FRACTION of what you are used to.

A few things to keep in mind though. You may have experienced winters in Iowa, but Wyoming (and Cheyenne) are at a much higher elevation. Northern winters at 7K+ feet can come on strong and last for months. Heck, Beartooth highway is closed today due to snowfall. If you like to run or bike, you may be limited due to weather. Also, be prepared for wind. And I don't just mean occasional gusty days. I mean five or six straight days of wind at 50+ MPH with gusts to 90+. The wind is what catches most transplants off guard.

The dating scene in most of Wyoming is quite poor as you age. Typically (speaking from experience here), folks whom are single in their 50s are generally so because of some malady like alcoholism or drug abuse. You will find the options limited beyond all belief. The only saving grace would be that Fort Collins and Denver are just down the road. Any major shopping or specialty health care needed? Just head down to Colorado. In the winter the road is closed regularly so it may be some time before you can make it out. Wyoming can seem isolated to folks who are not used to it.

Politics and appearance are generally not an issue. People seem to think that we in Wyoming are crude hicks/rednecks/intolerant cowboys/etc. Truthfully, we have a "you do your thing, I'll do mine" attitude. If you don't bug anyone, you should have no problems. We are EXTREMELY weary of outsiders coming in and wanting to change things. Beware that it may take a couple years before you are accepted fully. Cheyenne is a bit better due to the influx of Air Force personnel, but it can be cliquish none the less.

I think Cheyenne has a total smoking ban in place, but many places do not. Casper didn't have one for the longest time, but there was only one or two restaurants which allowed smoking anyway. Simply vote with your dollars and don't go to a place that still allows smoking if you are that inclined. The problem now is people huddle directly outside the front door (when the temp is -40) and create a cloud of nasty smoke which wafts in anyway. I am an ardent non-smoker, but the ban seems to have changed nothing and I still smell smoke everywhere.

As I alluded to before, your biggest issue (aside from weather) will simply be things to do. Even though it is the biggest town in Wyoming, your options are limited unless you take up hiking and backpacking. You can only go to the dying mall or movie theaters so many times before it gets stupid. And in the winter, the trip to Colorado may be impossible for a week or two at a time. I personally do ham radio as a hobby which I can follow while totally indoors and out of the weather. It is my winter activity (aside from school work BLECK).

Wyoming is an awesome place. Unfortunately the Cheyenne and I-80 corridor is the ugliest part. It isn't for everyone but if you can survive the weather and isolation, it is a super rewarding state.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the input I know we will get emails saying our Wyoming office is closed because of the weather. It gets so damn hot here we SHOULD have heat days. I mean we are talking 100+ for days on end. Ugh.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:22 PM

99 posts, read 149,203 times
And it will here as well LOL. Wyoming, one of the only states where you learn where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet (-40 btw) or know what 105F feels like six weeks later. Turn your heater on in the morning, then A/C in the afternoon.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming_Medic View Post
And it will here as well LOL. Wyoming, one of the only states where you learn where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet (-40 btw) or know what 105F feels like six weeks later. Turn your heater on in the morning, then A/C in the afternoon.
Doesn't sound terribly different than Iowa, except there's a lot more interesting stuff within a 300 mile drive that isn't a giant icky city like Chicago.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I think you'd be well served to come visit Cheyenne for a week or so during the fair weather months ... and check out the options you have for recreation/entertainment, housing, and the venues that might present for your activities. Look around with a view towards actually living here, not being a tourist.

As well, consider what your options will be during the inclement weather months. Will you be satisfied to be essentially limited to Cheyenne?

As a former avid bicyclist, I've just about given up riding in this area. The winds make for a most unpleasant experience ... it's not just fighting the prevailing winds/gusts, but the dust/debris that is blowing in your face. It's to the point that I don't enjoy driving my roadster cars here; until I'm back in the Colorado mtns, a roadster simply has limited fun factor in this area.

Frankly, it sounds like so many of the activities that are important to you will have very limited opportunities in the Cheyenne area. A less severe climate area at lower elevation might be more to your liking, especially when coupled with the arts scene that you covet. Cheyenne is pretty limited in that department unless you're into playing gigs at a country/western bar.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:46 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I think, I hope, you would be surprised at the variety of interests people have here. I don't think finding other people who like to play jazz will be a problem.

And, though I am involved with horses, cows, and all that, several of my closest friends have never touched a horse and do not intend to.

But for outdoor activities I believe Wyoming is unmatched. I prefer primitive areas and hope our wild places never become the crowed boutique areas that I see in other states.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'm an Iowa transplant and have lived in northern Wyoming for 45 years. Iowa's winters *seem* colder than Wyoming's because of the low humidity and bright sunshine here. However, Cheyenne and most of the rest of southern Wyoming does get more than its share of brutal winter winds. That might make it a wash... unless you're comparing it to some of the windy areas of Iowa. (I lived just north of Fort Dodge for a few months before moving here and never saw so much wind!)

Wyoming's summers are generally pretty nice. It can get very warm during the day (90s aren't a bit unusual), but the evenings are often too cool without a jacket. Again, Cheyenne's winds can be a problem. When/if you buy a home in Cheyenne, consider how it's located with regard to the prevailing winds. While it's not quite as windy where I live (Gillette -- NE Wyo), my house faces the SE, and I'm well protected by the hills, houses and trees in my neighborhood so that we seldom notice any wind here.

Wyoming has a lot to offer. (Keep that on the QT.) I didn't like Gillette when I moved here, but after a few years it can grow on a person. I don't know anywhere I'd rather live right now.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:49 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
I agree with most of the statements above, although I would not agree that Cheyenne is "too large" or that traffic is a nightmare. You can drive from one end of the city to the other in about 10 minutes.

I've lived in a lot of cities and Cheyenne is WAY better in terms of traffic. Traffic jams are virtually non-existent. Drivers seem to be courteous.

But I would definitely visit for a couple days (at least) before deciding. I know I really like it here.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:28 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
Something is telling me the OP should take a serious look at OTHER Wyo towns, such as Casper or Sheridan.

Seriously; I don't know you from Adam, but...after reading your 'stream-of-conciousness' posting up above...I just get this feeling that you WON'T like Cheyenne very much...ESPECIALLY if you drink prodigious amounts of coffee or (worse yet) 'energy drinks'.

Unless you're willing to take up 'meditation' as a means to 'calm your mind/spirit', that town could quite literally have you climbing the freakin' WALLS within the span of perhaps as few as six months.

"How so ?" you ask ? well...I'll grant you that even though the town of Casper is currently well on it's way to out-pace growth/development which Cheyenne previously had, it just....'FEELS' better than Cheyenne. Ditto for Sheridan. Not nearly the growth of either of the other two towns AND Sheridan feels WAY better than both of them. Not to mention that it being on the eastern-front of a beautiful mountain-range, you'll enjoy far 'nicer' weather-pattern both winter (with Chinooks) and summer (because it's greener) and once again, I just have this funny feeling that the people in Sheridan would be more to your liking. Let's just say I think Sheridan or Casper would REALLY help you find your 'happy place', and come down from that 'GOTTAGITTERDONEGOTTAGITTERDONEGOTTAGITTERDONE' mindset which Kalifornia has CLEARLY done to you.

One important note: There is NOWHERE you can run (to get away from it) if you insist on BRINGING IT ALL WITH YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming