U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 17,543 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone my name is Errol and i will be heading to work in Gillette. Drywall hanging and finishing this will be a new start up company, just thought i would give something new a try. I have been in the construction industry in grand rapids Michigan for the past 15 years, competition for a few big commercial jobs and the drop in new home building has drop wages and job prices to a extreme low. Work is available but you have to under bid the next guy just to get work, It is too a point where you cannot survive on the meager earnings anymore. So out west i come with stars in my eyes just hearing of all the work that is available in a 200 mile radius of Gillette can i get anyone to confirm my thoughts and tell me that the work is there i will be heading out December 3 2006.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 11:52 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,168,779 times
Default Gillette - work

There are tons of jobs in Gillette. We have some friends trying to build a house in Gillette - it's slow going as the contractor doesn't have enough help. The biggest problem is finding a place to stay/rent. My husband works up there and he found a great place through the newspaper.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:06 PM

That sounds like what i have been hearing from allot of people i cannot wait to get out there, just have to finish my last week of work. i will be staying in spearfish SD until i can find a place closer that wont cost 80.00 per night.
i know its a hike but at 350 per month for two guys and ability to have 2 more units up to 4 more guys its a bargain. just have to drive my men back and forth.
thank you errol

Old 11-28-2006, 06:34 PM

81 posts, read 454,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekangas View Post
i will be staying in spearfish SD until i can find a place closer that wont cost 80.00 per night.
$80.00 a night! are housing accomodations that scarce in Wyoming? And are the wages sufficient to justify that cost?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Within a 20 mile radius of Gillette it is around $80.00 per night. as far as wages go i work mainly by the square foot so its not so much price as quantity. and as far as i know there is a back log of three years with no end in site. so for a motivated motor scooter like myself an a few of my marine corps buds are going to work our tails of three weeks on one week off (to go home and see the family), thats the way it works out of town.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,168,779 times
Default $80.00/night

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Brennus View Post
$80.00 a night! are housing accomodations that scarce in Wyoming? And are the wages sufficient to justify that cost?
I'm not sure where you stay but out here $80.00/night is average. Most of the wages in Gillette are now average $23.00/hr. I saw an ad in the paper the other day for Burger King and the starting wage was $15.00/hr. To flip burgers!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:02 AM

592 posts, read 2,120,674 times
Hay Semper Fi, yep my nephew builds homes in Rock Springs. He has people waiting in line to buy them and can't build them fast enough. Gillette is not the only boom town but it will get you started ! Wyomiles

Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 PM

49 posts, read 202,529 times
You can get a job in WY in Gillette, Casper, Rock Springs, I would say that you'll need to be able to be on company insur., get a state driver's lic., pass a U.A., and have references. A man that can do that can find work about anywhere in the state, Gillette has no housing, so be prepared. Bring your carharts, steeltoes, a 5th wheel, and come on out!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:55 AM

12 posts, read 42,623 times
Default yo erroll

How is it going in the drywall ? Is the commute worth the pay? As a fellow Michigander I am also considering doin some work out there. How bout an update if you are still active in this forum.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,423,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I'm not sure where you stay but out here $80.00/night is average. Most of the wages in Gillette are now average $23.00/hr. I saw an ad in the paper the other day for Burger King and the starting wage was $15.00/hr. To flip burgers!
I was curious; in what job sector is the $23/hour? I was thinking maybe the gas and oil fields, or is it construction? For Wyoming, those are especially good wages! And, the Burger King ad, was that a managerial position? I'm not doubting the numbers. I'm just trying to figure where they are coming from, because the Wyoming I grew up in generally didn't have wages that would rival other parts of the country. Right now, we live in Northwest Florida, and my husband isn't making much more than that $23/hour! Gee, maybe we could afford to come back. I am absolutely amazed, and pleased, for anyone living there now, if the payrate has improved that much! (Good heavens! It's not because the cost of living is that horrible, is it? I guess that could be another reason for the higher wages.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming