Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

matt fe2o3 ...

30 gals of domestic use water/day/person is pretty much a national average consumption of treated water. Of course, there are folk who get by on significantly less via water flow controls and/or by necessity due to water availability/conservation measures.

re: "irrigation ditch" water. You need to verify the water availability of the water from this source during the irrigation season. Many variables can affect how much and when actual water is available at your point of diversion. For some ditch companies, water may be a continuous flow to you, for others it may be intermittent through a season. In any event, it's advisable in Wyoming's growing season to use efficient water delivery to your gardens ... drip feed delivery is a possibility. A primary reason the ditch water is so inexpensive compared to domestic system water is that the irrigation water is unprocessed and untreated water. A $100 access fee is pretty nominal for a season's worth of ag water for a residential acre property. Of course, the costs and infrastructure to pump and functionally deliver the water to your land are additional expenses for your water access/use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
We recently looked at a property out Southfork of Cody that we may offer on. Water to house is NW Rural. Water for irrigation is ditch to pump to irrigation. Small lot there about 2 acres. Was told irrigation fee is 100/year and not metered. Now this is not a lot of cost (to me) to cover irrigating thereabouts of an acre (for instance) of landscaping. Down here you would pay that much a month and possibly get fined or ticketed for using that much irrigation water (that said down here it all comes from the watershed / domestic pipe).

Now for domestic we use 130 gallons a day for four people. That might sound like a lot but a showers, toilet flushes and laundry are about all we do. Have not watered the lawn in 3 years.

From above discussion, assuming our use is reasonable a 90 day supply of water in a tank would be about 12,000 gallons and weight close on 45 tons, which will also be about 45 cubic metes of storage space - which is not small.
irrigation water has to be used for irrigation

Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM

83 posts, read 95,720 times
Sunsprit - yes - gardening is a hobby that I have not been able to get around to in any meaningful way in several years due to work load - so in retirement it is one of my goals. Availability is a question - I can see it in use as of last week, however every period changes. I sure like what I see down Southfork.

Jody - yes, I get that- my post earlier was misleading - my bad. I was not contemplating any storage or domestic use for myself - just the simple math on weight and cube of water storage in response to an earlier discussion.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,691 times
If I wanted to buy land, say 40 acres minimum, and simply wanted to build a 16x20 cabin for occasional weekend use would this be doable?

I would plan on bringing in my own water/food for the time period I'm there and build an outhouse and making do with a portable camp stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming